Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Today only – 40% off 18
selected EZXs.

Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

[DESIGN] “Drop in” Trigger (by Michael Beatnik)

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tazinnuedo
    Participant

I like it!!!
     i will test it soon… with an other board cut like a star, screwed on the shell, below this sytem, to put a rim piezo…. just to test the crosstalk between rim and main piezo…

francois

PFozz
    Participant

Hey Taz,

Nice to see you here !
    I was almost sure you’d be one of the first to post in the workshop 😉

Welcome aboard…
    Cheers!

www.eareckon.com

tazinnuedo
    Participant

i tested it…  it works well!!! but it create an accoustic sound when you hit the mesh head…   i have kept the ring foam to avoid some retrig… and put some foam between the shell and the plastic ring and put 3 silent blocs to isolate the big plate to the cone plate support.
    the only little problem is that the plastic ring is not very rigid…(the foam rigidifies a little bit)

this design works for me for a dual zone pad (piezo/piezo)(snare input on a td10) 

francois

Beatnik
    Participant

That design was the result of my not wanting to do any intrusive crossmember type setup on my Starclassic maple kit. I went a bit further with this by replacing the muffl’ with a more rigid hoop I constructed from MDF using a router, very time consuming process. Here is a quick cross section of that basic idea.

tazinnuedo
    Participant

i think to rigidify the plastic hoop, inserting a pmma (2.5mm)ring into the inside ring of the muffl, below the foam ring…
    and i will change the large plate, because it’s no stronger  (pmma 2.5mm)  and it’s easy to twist it…
    the other problem of this sytem is that cost a little bit… (13 14 euros for a 13″ muffl…)

PFozz
    Participant

Hi Michael,

I’m so glad to see you in this forum
    Thanx again for all the great stuff you shared with the community !

Cheers.

www.eareckon.com

vince153
    Participant

I’m currently working on a similar setup. I want to do a non intrusive trigger as Mickeal Said. Furthermore I want it to be a quickly replacable trigger setup.
    I recently saw how work the Tru-Track heads of the new Pearl Epro-Live and that seems like what I want to do.

I’ll give you information as soon as possible (in June probably)

vince153
    Participant

I finally got my new acoustic drumset and finished my trigger setup. Basicly, it consists in a plate of plexiglas with a mesh head hoop paste on the underside. On the upperside, a sheet of foam (within the trigger is placed) and a HQ Sound Off mute.

The sensitivity seems really good but the rebound is note quite satisfying. I’ll send you photos as soon as possible

Edit : Finally, I found that this design is not so good. It doesn’t manage low strokes too

Mark King
    Participant

Hi PFozz

As well as the cybal I also converted a 13″ snare drum basing my design loosely on this one (I will try and upload some photo’s) I have done this without damaging or the snare drum at all. I used what I had to hand and a few bits from the hardware shop. All piezo’s I use are from Maplins.

The design is two small angle brackets which happen to fit to the drum skin tensioners without any drilling (Lucky) I also bought rubber washers to put between everything.
    Between the brackets I cut a thin pice of wood to size and mounted this with washers inbetween. The distance to the drum skin (Mesh) was quite a distance. I tried a few different combinations of different foam (some terrible) until I used a block of quit spongy foam although reasonably firm (used to pack a clearaudio turntable) I mounted the trigger on top of this and then a piece of hard foam on top of this which makes contact with the mesh head. I had to use a modeling knife to cut this down to create a cone effect.

The foam inbetwen the wood and cone has a great isolating effect and there is very little cross triggering when hitting the rim. All this cost me was 69p for the trigger and a few pounds for the rest of the stuff. Carpet tape by the way is wonderfully sticky stuff.

I will try and get photo’s on here as soon as I can.

Thanks for the design and inspiring me to have a go myself.

SD3 with older sdx,s plus Rooms of Hansa and Death & Darkness. Cubase and wavelab current versions. Roland TD50x using all trigger inputs for triggering SD3 only. Windows 11 computer. Various keyboards and outboard gear as well as VST instruments. Acoustic drums: Yamaha 9000 natural wood and Pearl masters. Various snare drums. RME BabyFace Pro FS and Adam A7X monitors

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.