Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Today only – 40% off 18
selected EZXs.

Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

[DESIGN] 2Z/3Z Choke Capable Cymbal (by PFozz)

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 9 replies - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • JJDrummer
    Participant

Hello Blankman,

First off, sorry for my lame screenname, it’s the first thing that came to mind when my usual was not available…anyway, you can call me Josh. I have actually successfully completed my dual-zone drums, although I’ve only tested them as single-zone with my Ion Drum Rocker controller on rock band. I do not yet have my Trigger IO. But I do have a Y-cable and tested both the head and the rim functionality on each drum and I’m extremely pleased with the head responsiveness and somewhat pleased with the rim responsiveness, but I’m hoping it will be better once I have a real module. Speaking of the Trigger IO, if you are going to be using it, there is absolutely no need for the KRC, thankfully. I guess each TRS jack has the tip and the ring wired completely separately of each other so they don’t communicate like a Roland unit does. That being said, we also don’t get to have a dual-zone cymbal with choke go into one jack, it would have to be either dual-zone and no choke or single-zone and choke if you want to only take up one input jack. I have converted one acoustic cymbal to a dual-zone ride, bow and bell, and I definitely like the results. I used PFozz’s design for it (thanks PFozz).

How’s yours coming along?

krusen
    Participant

i’m trying to figure out IF, when the KR circuit is used in this setup:

1 x BELL piezo
    1 x BOW piezo
    1 x EDGE piezo

is it somehow possible to use only ONE stereo input on ones drum module (i use a MegaDrum, which support Yamaha’s 3 zone input, which only uses 1 stereo input, but uses 2 SWITCHES and 1 PIEZO and not just 3 PIEZO’s).

the KR circuit really “just” turns a piezo into a switch of sorts, correct?

so i’m thinking – if i used 2 x KRC’s
    one between BOW/EDGE -> EDGE turns to a switch and get’s its VELOCITY from the BOW piezo
    and one between BOW/BELL -> BELL turns to a switch and get’s its VELOCITY from the BOW piezo

this seems possible – but i’m not really sure how…
    and i keep thinking i heard something about using a 10K resistor in the path somewhere…hmm..

PFozz – any help?

PFozz
    Participant

Hi Krusen,

It’s theorically possible to build such a 3-ways trigger using only one input, if your module ‘knows’ what to do with such a thing 🙂
    The Megadrum is an awesome project (many thanks to Dmitri, btw) and even if mine isn’t up-to-date (shame on me), the last version of the firmware seems to provide what you need to make these triggers work.
    Here’s how I would try to build them :

HEAD/BOW (Zone 1) PIEZO -> Tip/Sleeve
    Zone 2 PIEZO -> KRC -> Ring/Sleeve
    Zone 3 PIEZO -> KRC -> 10k resistor -> Ring/Sleeve (the resistor should be connected in serial between one output of the KRC and the ring part of your jack plug)

For such a design, it’s obviously very important to avoid crosstalk between zone 2 and zone 3 (adding a resistor or a pot just after the Zone 2 piezo may help).

Best regards.

www.eareckon.com

studioalley
    Participant

Hi, I am not able to buy bitumen tape at local store.
    Do anyone know any online store, that can order bitumen tape with international service?
    Many thanks.

air-v
    Participant

Hello,

1) I wish your an Happy News Year to you folks,

“For the little story, i’m very newbe concerning drum and E-drum in general, but after some nights of research and reading forums, i kick my as.. and decide to build one.
    First, the A to E conversion by cutting toms in half, bough mesh and addings piezzo was successfully and sound working good with my PM-16 module or with the TD12 module from my father’s in law. Now it’s time for cymbal (Hi-hat will be for later but i’ve got a little solution for this with Edrum Monitor and pot pedal).”

2) Concerning the 3Z crash, i’ve seen lot of post talk about the TD module or DTX module.
    Is my PM-16 module can do the same (i think it doesn’t, too old)?
    Otherelese, is there another way to use a gamepad switch with Edrum Monitor acting like the choke, and piezzo acting like as usual but certainly with 2xPM-16 trigger input ?

Thanks for you help!

ps: Sorry for my english. For the frenchy, if you want, you can pm me in french.

Air-v

whiskey29
    Participant

Hi,
    Has anyone try this with yamaha setup ? one piezo, and two piezo with KRC ?
    I am looking for more opinion, before strating making it,
    I dont want to waste rare materials I got.

Thanks

Mark King
    Participant

Hi PFozz

A big thanks for this info. I had some bitumen tape (no idea why was just in garage) It works brilliant as you say. I just wanted a few more ecymbals. I wasn’t bothered about
    dual zone just some more sounds. Anyway used your design on a cheap and nasty pair of hi-hat cymbals from local drum shop for a tenner. I have put a bit of thin rubber on the striking serface as well to make them more silent.

Brilliant work thanks. I have the bug for making my own pads and triggers again.

Cheers

Mark

SD3 with older sdx,s plus Rooms of Hansa and Death & Darkness. Cubase and wavelab current versions. Roland TD50x using all trigger inputs for triggering SD3 only. Windows 11 computer. Various keyboards and outboard gear as well as VST instruments. Acoustic drums: Yamaha 9000 natural wood and Pearl masters. Various snare drums. RME BabyFace Pro FS and Adam A7X monitors

ChiefNugget
    Participant

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

How big is the “sweet spot” on the cymbals made by this method?  I have read complaints regarding the small sweet spot on Alesis Surge Cymbals, which I imagine have somewhat similar construction.

Could the sweet spot be expanded by leaving a wider space of metal with no bitumen tape around the bow piezo?

Would it be possible to use two or more piezo transducers in parallell for the bow?  For example, make a whole ring of piezos in the bow wired in parallell in order to achieve even response all the way around.  I wonder if there would be any phase cancellation issues with such a system.

I am reading up and comparing DIY alternatives right now and hope to start building in a couple months.  Lot’s of great inspiring info here.  Thanks!

Darryl

bbc
    Participant

Hello folks,

I’m a newbie and trying to make my first edrum!!
    I would like to know why the bitumen tape needs to stick on the back of cymbal?
    And I don’t know why how the place mat works? Just for good looking?
    Is any way to expand the hitting zone ? parallel the piezo?
    BTW, sorry for my poor English

Thank you guys!!

BBC

Viewing 9 replies - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.