Cymbal Chokes

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • dsilvercoin
    Participant

Yeah, I never could get it to work either. I tried cleaning up the channel pressure messages that my controller was accidently sending out and maybe that help a bit, but i don’t think I really noticed a difference.

twostone
    Participant

I forgot to ad I’m using a TD-6V kit which by itself I have cymbal chokes. I had to move some notes around in order to get the ride cymbal edge and bell in oder for Surperior to work correctly. Figured maybe I need to do the same with cymbal chokes.

twostone
    Participant

Hey will the update solve the cymbal choke?
    How new is this update?

John

There is no choke solving needed in any updates, never has been.
    The most common factor if it isn’t working is that the user’s DAW’s filter out the Aftertouch/Channel Pressure messages sent from the E-drum module.
    Fire up your DAW and check this, then start Superior 2.1 and select the E-drum MIDI preset and choke away!

Best Regards,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: jsvolker
    twostone
    Participant

No DAW
    usb midi cable >laptop> headphone> no cymbal chokes>

Brad
    Participant

What software are you using to trigger Superior, Solo?

Mac Studio M1 Max, RAM 64 GB, 1TB Drive, OSX 12.x/13.x and Windows 10 (VM)
    DAW: Studio One 5/6, Pro Tools Studio
    DTX Express III (Extreme triggers), Nektar LX88
    OWC Thunderbay Mini (4 X 1TB Sata SSD), Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB M.2 SSD), Envoy Express (1TB M.2 SSD)
    Presonus Quantum, Faderport & Faderport 8
    Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128, BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
    2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

twostone
    Participant

OS Windows vista 32 bit

Scott

That is the operating system. The DAW or host the John is asking about would be Toontrack Solo, Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Pro Tools, Logic, etc. The program that you load Superior in.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

twostone
    Participant

I’m not using any type of recording software I’m in TT solo stand alone
    here’s my signal chain again

Roland TD-6V > usb midi cable > laptop > hedphones

John

Ok,

are you sure are running the latest versions of Toontrack solo and Superior 2 (2.1.1)?

If you are, simply selecting the ‘E-drums’ MIDI preset in ‘LOAD/SAVE > MIDI > Note Mapping > E-drums’ in Superior 2 should give you a base with Chokes enabled.
    You can check by selecting (right-click) a Crash and see if the Envelope is ON and set to Aftertouch.

If all above is checked and you still do not get Chokes, I’d check the module to see if it filters outgoing messages in any way.

Best Regards,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

twostone
    Participant

I’m assuming that’s it’s the lasest version.  I just bought it within the past month. I did download the update file for good measure. I’m sure it’s on my end I’m not doing something right. I have chokes in my ezdrummer engine just don’t have them in my S2.0 engine, I give your suggestion a try when I get back home and post back later how it went.
    Thanks for your help John much apprcieated.

twostone
    Participant

Okay I tried exactly what you posted here still no luck. I not sure what you mean about the filtering part. I’m assuming adjusting the midi paramaters in my TD-6V module which I did before, and never got the cymbals to choke on my Avatar kit. What’s strange to me is my  ezdrummer pop/rock kit has chokes so does Nashville and DFH which I’m using the S20 engine to load them in, but when I go to Avatar kit which BTW is my faorite kit. I don’t have cymbal chokes.
    What am I doing wrong?

twostone
    Participant

Never mind you guys added a new up date amd that solve the problem. I had down loaded the last update but you TT folks added another since my purchase a couple of weeks ago. Boy do I feel like a mose

Rogue

right, to clarify – the latest Avatar update has pre-dialed release values for the cymbals (including Ride ‘Punch’ if fact). If you were not having any luck before this would be because you did not alter the envelope.

In other words – just turning the envelope section ‘ON’ is not enough, you also have to instruct the software how the tail should be affected. Although as I said the latest update should be plug and play – but your idea of a cymbal choke (in term of length) may not that ours so I strongly recommend you check the manual for a full understanding of the envelope control.

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

zwicker
    Participant

I built my first dyi electronic kit from a pearl rythme traveler kit, it works great with the td-3 module. So i recently purchased a alesis I/O superior 2.0 and the metal foundry and a tascam MK 144 II for the external sound card and latency. For cymbals i have 2 roland cy-8s and 2 roland cy-6s. for the hihat im using a pd-8 pad. I gotta admit this has not been a very easy transition. I click the learn fucntion and set my first cymbal as a crash when i try to choke the cymbal i end up getting a bass drum hit and then my bass drum switches to a cymbal, I have tried many different setting and i am having absolutely NO LUCK?????? Does any one have any saved setting for there DYI kits that are coned piezzo for the head and a piezo for the rim?? I try to set up my kit and select tom 1 and hit learn then i try to set the rim following the same way and it doesnt stay to a splash ive selected, i end up having tom 1 and 2 being the same!! Im just completeyl lost here!!! Would greatly appreciate any tips someone has?? Would a PD-8 for a hi hat give me dual triggering there??? and would my roland cy-8s and cy-6s have dual triggering and choke capabilities as well????? Also when i try to set up my cymbal chokes i get a bass drum hit and i have my control set to to default would this be affectin it? I am very new to superior drummer and welcome as much help as i can possibly get!! Also any alesis i/o tips would be great too thxs

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.