Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Today only – 40% off 18
selected EZXs.

Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Creating my own patterns question

Studio Corner
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Michael
    Participant

Well, it depends on what DAW you have. All of them have some sort of drum map or piano roll feature. Personally I use Cubase, and I like that it has a standard piano roll (the window of mapped sounds where the instruments are assigned to piano keys), and a dedicated “drum editor” window. You could use a keyboard, but to me, just opening up the editor and clicking with a mouse is WAAAAY easier. All you are doing is creating a midi track, assigning a virtual instrument to it (in this case Superior Drummer), and manually inserting the notes, or in the case of drums, hits. Each DAW is a little different, so something specific i can’t give you without that info.
    The most common way, well, the easiest way, in my opinion is to start with one looped bar, build the beat, and start to either copy&paste or write new parts. Pick a preset you like and open it up in the key editor (or drum editor, whatever the case may be) and see how it is mapped and what the velocities are. Use that as a starting point.

I am not a drummer but know what I am looking for as far as drum patterns. I have been playing 25+ years.

So you know time signature, down beats up beats, etc… thats all you really need to know to sequence. I’m not saying it’s easy or that there is no learning curve, but once you get the basics, it will come more naturally.

Look on youTube for “drum sequencing in [insert your DAW here]” and you are bound to find something that will explain, step-by-step how to get started. Hell, the one I found was an intro to sequencing Techno, but it showed me how to set a loop, create a midi track and start inserting drum hits in the window. That may be all you need.

It may get frustrating, overwhelming even seeing as how massive the SD kit is. Most GM kits have 1 of each instrument on the kit, but Superior has many articulations for every piece of the kit. Personally I move all the center hits to one area and start sequencing so I can see the whole pattern at once, and slowly branch out on articulations and velocities until it sounds right to me. Building your own drum tracks from scratch takes up a chunk of time, but if you have the patients to do it, is rewarding (to me anyway).

A few people have actually dedicated the time to making Drum Maps for just about every kit, including TMF. They are invaluable tools.
    Also, once you have a handle on how it’s done, use a preset you like, change the pattern as needed and only create a few bars when necessary. This is BY FAR the most powerful and natural sounding drum software around, so if you dedicate the time to learn, the sky is the limit.
    Hope this helps!

Noel Priore
    Participant

Thanks….very informative reply. Still a bit confusing until I can get hands on. I use MIXCRAFT 5 and I also use Reaper. Both have piano rolls in it. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks.

Michael
    Participant

just wondering if you got your hands dirty yet

Noel Priore
    Participant

Not yet. I plan on it this weekend.

Michael
    Participant

sooooo…….

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.