Choking Kit Toys cymbals

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Scott

I’m not familiar with ‘Kit Toys’ so I can’t suggest anything. S2 uses aftertouch and the envelope filter to do chokes with edrums. If Kit Toys doesn’t use aftertouch, I have no answer for you.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

stephenpaulharper
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Scott.  Kit Toys are popular boutique ecymbals hand-made in the UK.  I was afraid there wasn’t a good answer, although it might be in Toontrack’s best interest to explore other options.  Alesis edrums for one, don’t use AFTERTOUCH to choke cymbals, and I’m sure there are other manufacturers that don’t as well.  Alesis are the 3rd most popular edrum kits, not far behind Yamaha.

Thanks again.

Steve

Windows 10, REAPER, ADK edrums, Mimic Pro and DDTi TMIs

John

Well,

it seems it can work with Roland modules after all, I found this on VDrums.com:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?67437-Why-won-t-my-Kit-Toys-Cymbals-choke

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

stephenpaulharper
    Participant

Thanks John.  HeHe.  That’s my thread.  I should’ve mentioned that the cymbals work fine with the internal module sounds, but no AFTERTOUCH message is making it to my computer.  The debate goes on.  Now there’s yet another thread on the subject.  It may be that the fact that the Kit Toys cymbals are single zone, whereas Roland cymbals are dual zone, with an FSR rim.  The resistance of the FSR triggers AFTERTOUCH, but a kill switch has no such resistance.  I just thought someone here might have some insight or suggestion.

Thanks again.

Steve

John

Well,

what puzzles me is that if the Roland module interprets the switch event (however it is sent from the cymbal) as a choke, it should be able to relay that event along with the other data.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

stephenpaulharper
    Participant

Thanks for the reply John.  A fellow at V-drums.com has suggested that the type of kill switch that Kit Toys uses, is called a touch switch, and is not “open” long enough (only 1ms) to convey an AFTERTOUCH message.  I’m exceedingly technologically challenged, but the way he puts it makes sense.  I’m hopeless at this kind of stuff, but I know via software that no AFTERTOUCH event is making it to my computer from the module, although as I said the internal sounds choke just fine.

EDIT: this fellow’s suggestion turned out to be the case.  There is no way to make the KT cymbals choke VSTs.  Live and learn.  Time to go shopping for Roland.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.