changing different drum sounds in one track…song..

Studio Corner
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • John

Hi,

with EZdrummer 2 you can’t do it, you will have to load 2 different instances. You can unload sounds from each instance that you do not use, though.
    With Superior 2 or the upcoming Superior 3, you can add extra/switch out/stack sounds in the same instance.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

David George
    Participant

In EXD2 use multiple instances extensively to get variations: That’s one of my favorite features.

onewayout_1
    Participant

There are endless possibilities here with EZd2….I will also use more than one instance…BUT with NUMBER#1 hits you can stack many different instruments in there, it has at least THREE KIKS & THREE SNARES PLUS percussion and FX pads that let you access lots of other goodies from your other EZXs. For example I use the drum machine stuff and add in the organic stuff in underneath…I can even build an organic kit in number#1 hits and add my electronic kit underneath….

Another old school trick is actually “committing to tape”. In other words I’ll have let’s say a regular kit going with multi outputs and I NEED a sub-Kik and a brighter snare underneath the original to thicken it up….
    If I don’t want to lose my workflow I can just use the same instance I’m working with and find a nice sub sound from that instance or from another kit (we can access all our kits from any instance) and quickly render it to another track and then re load the original Kik… Same with the snare.. then you can have them to blend….
    Coming from working with tape into the digital world you can mix and match techniques to quickly achieve our goals… THERE ARE NO RULES! ☺

onewayout_1
    Participant

Hey I can also confirm that you can stack Multiple snares and Kiks in HIP HOP EZ and Multi SNARES in ELECTRONIC EZ FWIW…just to keep your workflow simpler and quicker when writing….

David George
    Participant

@onewayout_1 said:
    There are endless possibilities here with EZd2….I will also use more than one instance…BUT with NUMBER#1 hits you can stack many different instruments in there, it has at least THREE KIKS & THREE SNARES PLUS percussion and FX pads that let you access lots of other goodies from your other EZXs. For example I use the drum machine stuff and add in the organic stuff in underneath…I can even build an organic kit in number#1 hits and add my electronic kit underneath….

I have toyed withe idea of getting #1 hits.

In currently have the Hip-Hop, Latin Percussion, and Reggae EZXs.

I usually run three instances of EZD and have different kits playing different parts (I assign to individual tracks in Pro Tools).

I’m really comfortable with this workflow and am a little put off by the #1 Hits interface (I used an Alesis SR15 years ago and have an SR16 now that I never use).

How well does the #1 Hits behave with other EZX’s?

onewayout_1
    Participant

Very well from my experience… No excess cpu issues or anything like that….

I’m currently working on a pop song that requires both drum machine and organic drums the groove is very tight so I decided to just use the Number#1 hits for it to save time while I’m tweaking the midi… I have three different snares, three kiks, two different handclaps, two full sets of toms (well second set is just mid and low Tom flams) nice organic hihat and ride…. You get the pic… All from several different ezx’s …. They all work fine together and you can save the kits and presets ….I get it about the Aesthetics i really love the EZx’s but when I’m working on the groove I don’t even really notice the interface…

David George
    Participant

Thanks. So if I’m understanding this I can use, say, a Hip-Hop snare in the #1 Hits EZX?

I have always wished I could create custom kits that incorporated elements from different EZX’s: This seems like the way you can.

The reason I always run three instances is that I use a lot of percussion. So the main drum part may be playing on the Studio (default) EZX kit, but just the percussion may be playing on the Reggae EZX kit.

onewayout_1
    Participant

Right! YES, but you can do it with any kit… Just open your hip hop kit go to snare and at the top of the drop down menu you can choose other kits… We are moving today and my computer is packed up or I would have send you a picture of it… This probably even videos on it if you look into and track but just check it out!

David George
    Participant

Thanks–this is very helpful. When I go in there later today I’ll check this out. I often use three different snares blended together in varying %’s.

You and I have discussed this sort of thing before: I believe that you cannot, for example, add something to the studio kit from another kit (like, say, vibraslap).

Good luck moving!

onewayout_1
    Participant

Right, but in the hip hop kit there may be a percussion piece to allow you to add a Viberslap…. There are a lot of pads in there! ?

Plus if it’s just a Viberslap or some other accent piece you need you can always just print it and cut and paste it to the places you need it too… 🙂

David George
    Participant

Agreed. I’ve never tried the printing and pasting. I’ve gotten pretty used to using three instances with different elements. Thanks.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.