Arrange, compose to four string bass ?

EZbass Pre-sales
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Henrik
    Participant
    BEST ANSWER

The basses are 5 stringed, but you can arrange the MIDI so that it doesn’t play anything below E, which is just like playing a 4 string bass!

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Alexandre Santos
    Participant

Hi,

If I use one of the existing groves in EZBASS, will it always be based on the “B” string as the lowest note? Is there any setup to fix 4 strings or to fix “E” as the lowest note? Let me explain why it is important to me. On EZDrummer and EZKey, I can easily print out the score of the arrangement and give it to a player for live performance. It was important to do the same on the EZBass without being conditioned by the 5 strings.

Thanks again,

By Alex

Henrik
    Participant

Hi,

If I use one of the existing groves in EZBASS, will it always be based on the “B” string as the lowest note? Is there any setup to fix 4 strings or to fix “E” as the lowest note? Let me explain why it is important to me. On EZDrummer and EZKey, I can easily print out the score of the arrangement and give it to a player for live performance. It was important to do the same on the EZBass without being conditioned by the 5 strings.

Thanks again,

By Alex

There is currently no way of setting the lowest note to play on the bass, but I’ll add it to our feature request list!

But as I said before, if you just adjust the MIDI (to not play below E) before converting to sheet music (or similar), it will be correct!

Toontrack

Alexandre Santos
    Participant

Henrik Ekblom

I’m sad, but with hopes !!! I waited with great expectation for EZbass and I will have to wait some more time, I need arrangements with real 4-string bass. 🙁

Your idea: “if you just adjust the MIDI (to not play below E) before converting to sheet music” doesn’t sound well, because it would never be the same arrangement. It is not just a converting notes. A solo or riff automatically created by one of EZbass’s options, that starts on the 5th string (note C) and ends on (note C) on the 1 string, is not the same thing as a solo that starts on the 4 string, (note C), in the same (note C) on first string.

Thanks and I will continue to wait for patch or new release, .. 🙂
    I think it is great software .. Long life to EZBass.

Best Regards,
    By Alex

Mark De Souza
    Participant

Is the workaround you describe achievable in the EZBass interface or do we have to do this in our DAW?  Can you advise?

Henrik
    Participant

Is the workaround you describe achievable in the EZBass interface or do we have to do this in our DAW?  Can you advise?

Currently you have to manually move the notes in the Grid Editor (or in the DAW), or change octave for the entire MIDI-/chord-part in EZbass.

We have taken notes of users wanting to exclude the low string from being used, and we’ll look at this and we’ll see what – and if – we can do something about it!

Toontrack

Thanked by: Lopp, Davin Seamon and David Witkowski
    David Witkowski
    Participant

Currently you have to manually move the notes in the Grid Editor (or in the DAW), or change octave for the entire MIDI-/chord-part in EZbass.

We have taken notes of users wanting to exclude the low string from being used, and we’ll look at this and we’ll see what – and if – we can do something about it!

PLEASE!

Thanked by: Davin Seamon
    Davin Seamon
    Participant

PLEASE!

Agreed! I would love to see this feature implemented.

Lopp
    Participant

Hi Henrik,

That you for confirming it is not possible to limit the lowest note.  After some searching, I thought some site indicated this was implemented in an update in the Tuning option of the Bass section, but I do not see the option.

I am auditioning the free trial right now and am trying to find a groove for a song with the guitars tuned down to D, but do not want to have the bass play lower that D, as that does not fit the song.  Just moving the lowest notes in the Grid Editor is a poor option because it prevents the direct comparison of different grooves without having to edit them, not to mention it is tedious.

Please provide an update on whether this will be implemented.

Thanks again,

Matt

David Witkowski
    Participant

Hi Henrik,

That you for confirming it is not possible to limit the lowest note.  After some searching, I thought some site indicated this was implemented in an update in the Tuning option of the Bass section, but I do not see the option.

I am auditioning the free trial right now and am trying to find a groove for a song with the guitars tuned down to D, but do not want to have the bass play lower that D, as that does not fit the song.  Just moving the lowest notes in the Grid Editor is a poor option because it prevents the direct comparison of different grooves without having to edit them, not to mention it is tedious.

Please provide an update on whether this will be implemented.

Thanks again,

Matt

Right here my friend!

EZB-Tuning

Thanked by: Lopp
    Lopp
    Participant

Thanks David!  Bonus points for including the screenshot because I would otherwise be beating my head trying to find it on the trial version I am using (the trial version doesn’t have it).

Does it transpose the lower notes on Grooves that are lower than the lowest playback note or do you lose those Grooves as options?

Still on the fence about EZBass because I cannot get the Modern and Vintage bass tones close enough to my Spector Rebop through an Ampeg SVT with an 8×10, a Darkglass B7K at a relatively clean setting, and some slight chorus.  I wish it was possible to audition the EBX Sound Expansions because the Hard Rock and Heavy Metal tones sound promising, but I would need to tweak them and hear them in my own mix.

Also, the Audio Tracker does not work very well for my purposes (I tried it with distorted guitar, then bass, then clean guitar and it was too sloppy for the lines I was playing).  To the contrary, the Bandmate function on EZDrummer3 is pretty awesome (it must be more challenging to track notes).

I am liking the Add/Edit Chords and Replace MIDI function.  I would likely get EZBass if I could audition the EBX expansions, get those sounds to come closer to my actual bass tone, and test them in a mix.

• The post has been modified 3 times, last modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Lopp.
    David Witkowski
    Participant

I can at least try and solve this for you. I should have included this screenshot of how to get to the settings box.EZB-Tuning-2

Thanked by: Lopp
    Lopp
    Participant

I can at least try and solve this for you. I should have included this screenshot of how to get to the settings box.EZB-Tuning-2

Hi David,

Thank you for your additional help highlighting the Tuning option to modify to access the Lowest Playable Note parameter.

Yes, I attempted to select that option, but it only gave the Octave, Semitone, Cent, and Tuning System parameters and did not give the Lowest Playable Note parameter.  It must not be available on the trial version of EZBass.

That being said, playing with the trial version is really enticing me to get EZBass.  Adding Chords in the Grooves combined with adding Drum MIDI in the Drum and Keys is giving great alternatives to my own bass lines to stimulate creativity.  It is also great to know the Lowest Playable Note parameter is available thanks to your help, as my Spector is a 5-string, but I typically prefer to write for 4-string.

Best regards,

Matt

John

Hi,

in the full version of EZbass (since version 1.1.0) you can select the lowest playable note, and if you e.g. select ‘E’ and preview a groove that has got notes below that, they will be transposed an octave on-the-fly.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

tanukrishna
    Participant

The fastest way to learn composition is to memorize small fragments of music, and then learn to change and combine those fragments in very specific ways.

The process of changing it, actually forces you to understand it.

When I started Art of Composing in 2011, I had a loose idea of the things I needed to learn. But it wasn’t very clear in my mind.

So I set out reading just about every music theory or composition book I could get my hands on. And I blogged about it at the same time

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.