Adding to the TD20

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Damian Blunt

Personally I would add a Roland TMC-6. You could use a specially designed cable to split 2 of the aux inputs, but this would render the cymbals as single zone and my experience is that the triggering isn’t really as good as if you have dedicated inputs.

As I say the splitters have to be specially made – a traditional splitter won’t do. Occasionally you can find them on ebay or it may be worth advertising for one on vdrums.com.

I use a TMC-6 to add inputs to my TD-12 and this is certainly my preferred option albeit more expensive.

Damian Blunt - Toontrack
    Quality Assurance
    Betatesting

Mark Farrell
    Participant

Thanks for the info, do you know if that Roland TMC-6 works well with heart dynamic cymbals? Ie triggering them correctly and all that? Im only looking at the heart cymbals cos they’ve made the effort to atleast try and make the cymbals look like splash’s and china’s etc, are there any other brands out there who do something similar? and perhaps cheaper? The roland cymbals look pretty poor to me?

Thanks again…………pops.

Mark Farrell
    Participant

and sorry more noob questions:

1. What do you think of the alesis triggers?
    2. I play through MIDI out to USB on the TD20 using Pro tools 8, an Mbox 1 and also an Mbox2mini (depending on laptop or desktop) How does the Roland TMC6 work, is it another MIDI out cable? ie two plugging into computer by USB? That cant be right can it? I can only specify one input to the plugin, Im confused.
    3. does the TMC6 support triggering the seperate ‘zones’ inside the mesh pads

Thanks again pops.

Damian Blunt

There should be no problem with the hart cymbals and the TMC-6

1 – I’m not sure about the alesis triggers…I’m assuming you’re referring to the surge range….their modules don’t always play nice with Roland triggers soI wouldn’t be surprised if the opposite were true.

2 – The TMC-6 can either be run through a separate MIDI input or run into the MIDI input on your TD-20

3 – The TMC-6 will support separate Head/Rim triggering with mesh heads….it doesn’t support positional sensing however. It also supports 3-way triggering with v-cymbals.

Damian Blunt - Toontrack
    Quality Assurance
    Betatesting

Mark Farrell
    Participant

Thanks man you’ve been really helpful, much appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.