Acoustic set conversion question

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • bakerboy
    Participant

I’m also very interested in converting my acoustic set to a triggered set with mesh heads.  From reading this forum, this is what I’d planned on doing:

1. Put mesh heads on my drums (not sure what brand and also not sure about the bass drum – suggestions??)
    2. Get triggers for the mesh heads (again, not sure what type – is there a way to do the dual-zone triggering with a DIY setup like this?  what about the ability to trigger the snare with the same sensitivity as a Roland or Hart Dynamics pad??)
    3. Replace my acoustic cymbals with some e-cymbals (was thinking the Ecymbal II pack from Hart Dynamics)
    4. Run the triggers through a TMI (the Alesis Trigger IO maybe?  any suggestions?)
    5. Run that TMI into my computer via USB and use EZ Drummer. 

I need clarification on these things mainly:

[*]What mesh heads to buy and how to trigger them for sensitive, responsive playing (what triggers to buy and how to implement them)
      [*]How to convert an acoustic snare to a triggered, mesh head snare that has the same range of sensitivity[*]Suggestions on a TMI to run these triggers through to my PC[*]Any other thoughts on this setup to alleviate latency (upgraded soundcard I’m sure)

Buying a whole Roland or Hart kit just isn’t possible for me right now, but I need to be able to practice silently and I have an acoustic kit that’s just collecting dust most of the time. 

This forum is great!!  Very glad I found it (and the Toontracks products)

-Chris

Jason Runyon
    Participant

ORIGINAL: bitfodder

Has anyone put mesh heads on an acoustic kit, then used off the shelf triggers like the DDrums triggers? I need to be able to do a “quick” conversion for triggering.

Thanks to any input.

Exactly what I do.  My old Pearl exports, Hart Dynamics mesh heads, some rubber trim from McMaster-Carr, Ddrum triggers, Ddrum module, TMC-6, Paiste 101 hihats made into crashes (Parts from Radio Shack), Roland FD8 hh pedal, Roland Cy-5 HH pad.

Works great, I filled the drums with foam about 3/4 full and then have a strip that comes up and gently muffles the mesh heads.  I found that this improved tracking and also cut down on the bounciness of the mesh.

Pictures:

Jason Runyon
    Participant

One more:

Mark Tainton
    Participant

Looks great! This is what I’m looking to do with my Yamaha Stage Custom kit except I’ll probably go for Roland cymbals and hi-hats. Any chance you could answer a few questions?

How do you find the performance of the DDrum triggers? Does the snare rim trigger work well or does it also fire when the snare skin is struck?

Do the Ddrum triggers detect the force of the hit? By this I mean do you get the same volume through EZDrummer regardless of how hard you hit the mesh head?

Robshi
    Participant

Hi guys some great conversions.

I was originally going to use ddrum triggers just like this but thought the more I researched the more I thought I’d try an internal conversion instead. If you can even do a bit of DIY and can solder (or can learn, it’s not too much soldering required) you can produce great results for a vastly reduced cost. it probably cost me less than £4-£5 per drum.

My components were. Jack plugs and piezo from maplin.
    Garden knealing mat to make cones from.
    Some wood and screws and other bits I had lying around to make internal brackets.

Work great! Have no pics at the moment.

Got loads of great advice here

http://vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=81c29ccd6331ed9490693287af772a85&f=48

If you have the money it will be less involved to buy the ddrum triggers but I wanted to save money and the process of making it all was fun!

Rob

fulrmr
    Participant

I have a 7 piece Smokey Chrome Pearl Forum set. 8″, 10″, 12″, 14″, 16″ Toms, 22″x16″ Kick and standard 14″ matching snare. All rack mounted. DW 5002AD3 Accelorator pedal. Gibraltar/ Hart Dynamics Hybrid Rack (just stuff I put together because I had it). All converted with internal triggers, Hart Dynamics Magnum mesh heads(Pearls don’t last) REMO Muffl Sound Control (cut out to various sizes depending on the tom size – this cuts back on cross talk and double triggering) Alesis D4, Roland TD-3 modules. Various Hart Dynamics Ecymbals, a couple of Traps cymbals, some Alesis Surge cymbals on the way and a variable hi-hat cntoller that mounts to a standard hi-hat stand. No pictures right now. Need to take some. I have only about $1500 in the kit. Got my triggers form this site. http://www.musiciansnearyou.com/ The are just as responsive as my Hart Dynamics pads. Even the HH trigger is very responsive. All In all there less half the price of the external triggers on the market. I installed everything in about an hour for the whole kit. I also save ALOT of $ by using windshield washer tubing for rim guards. Don’t laugh, it I split on it’s natural curve with a razor and it fits like a glove and stays put. Not olny that, it looks GREAT and is only about 25 cents a foot! I did my whole kit for about $8.00! Getting ready to go the software route (S2.0) as soon as I upgrade my laptop.

DYI Acoustic Pearl Forums 7 piece conversion, 56 Input MegaDrum, Roland TD-3, Alesis D4, AMD Phenom x4 9650 (2.4GHz) Quad Core, 8g RAM,

fulrmr
    Participant

ORIGINAL: bakerboy

I’m also very interested in converting my acoustic set to a triggered set with mesh heads.  From reading this forum, this is what I’d planned on doing:

1. Put mesh heads on my drums (not sure what brand and also not sure about the bass drum – suggestions??)
    2. Get triggers for the mesh heads (again, not sure what type – is there a way to do the dual-zone triggering with a DIY setup like this?  what about the ability to trigger the snare with the same sensitivity as a Roland or Hart Dynamics pad??)
    3. Replace my acoustic cymbals with some e-cymbals (was thinking the Ecymbal II pack from Hart Dynamics)
    4. Run the triggers through a TMI (the Alesis Trigger IO maybe?  any suggestions?)
    5. Run that TMI into my computer via USB and use EZ Drummer. 

I need clarification on these things mainly:

[*]What mesh heads to buy and how to trigger them for sensitive, responsive playing (what triggers to buy and how to implement them)
      [*]How to convert an acoustic snare to a triggered, mesh head snare that has the same range of sensitivity
      [*]Suggestions on a TMI to run these triggers through to my PC
      [*]Any other thoughts on this setup to alleviate latency (upgraded soundcard I’m sure)

Buying a whole Roland or Hart kit just isn’t possible for me right now, but I need to be able to practice silently and I have an acoustic kit that’s just collecting dust most of the time. 

This forum is great!!  Very glad I found it (and the Toontracks products)

-Chris

everything your looking to do (Triggers cymbals etc.), you can find on the vdrums.com  forum.

my personal opinion on heads is that you can’t beat Hart Dynamics Magnums. They seem to be bullet proof. I can go through Pearl mesh heads in just a few weeks. Maybe I’m just a heavy hitter, but I’ve had the Magnums on my snare for months with very little sign of wear.

As far as cymbals go…convert your acoustics unless they are extremely expensive. If they are, purchase a set of B8s or something in that price range and buy some pre-made 2z or 3zone triggers on them, if you don’t feel up to building some. Tha’ts what I did. Assembly was painless and the rewards are great! They feel, sound and look GREAT! Oh and they were only about half the cost of buying a brand name set. Especially if you already have an old set acoustics to use.

Have fun. I love my A to E kit!

DYI Acoustic Pearl Forums 7 piece conversion, 56 Input MegaDrum, Roland TD-3, Alesis D4, AMD Phenom x4 9650 (2.4GHz) Quad Core, 8g RAM,

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.