A Few EzDrummer Questions

Studio Corner
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

To overdub drums after guitar, you would be best to record the guitar with a click track into a DAW. So that when you come to work on the drums with midi, the drums will be in time with the guitar.
    A lot of professionals do this.
    It just can be tricky because the drum sound has to work with the guitar sound and the drum part has to work with the guitar.
    A lot of people like to know what their guitar groove is going to be, but commit the drum part and drum sound before committing the guitar.
    Of course the beauty of Toontrack products is you can adjust drum parts and sounds as you go along.

Juicy
    Participant

Absolutely everything he said.

Good Music is all about groove. people vibing together,Set up an eZ simple loop,the simpler the quicker the better.
    Play a bit with it to see if you lock on to it with your idea intact.
    If it’s working then forget drums for awhile ( let it loop)and record your GTR,then you will see the magic and power to finesse your drums after plus you put your GTR down with a groove and feel not just a click,I don t mind clicks,just sayin.
    You also just got the best guy in town who will sit on tempo all day and night without needing to take a break even if you do ,he’s just waiting.
    Virtual Reality in this case is truly a blessing,no fills no frills,no issues,you cant go wrong.
    You then can totally deconstruct .redo,edit,mangle the drums into something completely better (or worse ) after .

Whitten
    Participant

Yes, good idea – use a simple groove from EZdrummer as your click.

Karl Sanders
    Participant

Hi Mike – I have been quite happily making song demos for about a year with SD2 –
    at first I was doing the drums first ; but now quite successfully recording the guitar parts first.
    I use a simple click in Sonar – and I make sure that the guitar track is recorded bang on the beat , with exactly the right feel I am going for.
    When I want to add the midi grooves, the way I do it is to make a loop of whatever part of the song I am working on – like 2 bars or 4 bars of
    a verse/chorus/whatever , and let that keep looping while I click on different midi grooves in the browser window.
    It soon becomes super easy to tell which grooves will “feel” right with your guitar parts , and which fills are going to
    be the right ones. This way its easy to make the drum part fit the guitar , instead of the other way around.
    Cheers !

ronnieg
    Participant

Yep …All they said.

Remeber. As a single musician you will need to maybe record/ substitue  parts quite a lot. It took me a long time to have the apithany that I’m doing the thinking and recording of maybe six to seven people. I’m entitled to swap and change and be a little indecisive!.

You need , maybe a basic DAW ( a “lite” version will do  ) 

My work flow after getting a chord pattern and melody in my head.

Audition a relatively plain EZ groove. Use it as the click but get it down on the daw.
    Lay a scrach guitar and vocal on separate tracks. .
    Start to build up and swap out parts as it develops in my head. (remember this is where you are doing the work and thinking of many muscians who would normally contribute ideas and arrangements, so it can ne confusing and a little fristrating)

Everything is in sync with the groove so adding midi or other guitars etc is easy.

Now as the song builds i go back into EZY and see if i can find a more appropriate groove.  I also drag down a few fills and overlay them onto the groove.  As it all comes together so does my thinking and decision making. 
    It’s a fun process but like all creative processes a little frustrating too.

The beauty of EZD is that flexibilty to swap, change and add as the music develops.
    Just switching a kit or maybe just a particular drum can also make the track come alive further.

Hope that helps

Ronnie

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=16509

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.