Windows…. NEVER again

Studio Corner
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Juicy
    Participant
    Nathan
    Participant

It’s not Windows, its the machine you put it on. Don’t expect a mass-market machine like a Dell to stand up to the quality of a Mac. With PCs you do to an extent get wat you pay for.

I handbuilt my current DAW, using Intel CPU on Intel board. Quality components, reliable RAM, sensible setup, rock solid machine. Most of my software issues are down to the one flakey component in the studio (ie me). Far more reliable than the last three Macs I’ve worked with, I’ve just not crashed it in two or three years.

Windows is ok, it just runs on some poor machines, and some people stuff the OS with so many dodgy, conflicting applications that it’s surprising they don’t fall over more often.

Each to their own, let’s not use this forum for a platform slanging-match, I’ve been using both long enough to know there is good and bad on both sides.

Now, play nicely…

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Butter Buns
    Participant

yea im using a windows vista computer and i have no qualms about. and im buying another windows computer for my next purchase. reaper allows networking of windows based computers for more processing power which is a really really really awesome feature. id buy a mac if reaper wasnt my daw but ill get some hella mad processing power going on with a windows machine

Nathan
    Participant

you can run REAPER on both platform.

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Juicy
    Participant

Good to hear Vincenizzzle.
    A windows machine usually equals more downtime.
    Most pro studios have a Mac happily doin the audio grinding.but hey its just a choice .

Butter Buns
    Participant

i know you can run reaper on both platforms,man. my point was that you can only run reamote on a windows machine and not on a mac. which does suck cuz i would looooooove a mac. @ juicy that only applies if you dont know your machine.

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

sam odell
    Participant

oooooh a Mac vs PC thread! the problem isn’t windows since Windows 7 64 on a PC (that isn’t used for daily internet) is the best set up today with a reputable sound card.. it totally out performs a Mac and as a bonus it’s a lot cheaper. My $999 off the shelf Gateway computer performs right in line with some custom built machines I’ve seen that cost a lot more (according to the Cubase performance tests) I keep it off the internet and there’s only music and video programs installed, and it’s the same with my other HP’s. a $1000 PC is more powerful than a $2000 Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/user/samicide1/ http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_songs/969759/

Scott

Please, no Mac vs PC arguments…

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Juicy
    Participant

Yes it does get a bit defensive.
    I easily understand my Macs but the PC just seems too complicated at times, im just a muso.
    Zero down time for me equates to single brand loyalty.
    Same brand type loyalty applies for me with TT.
    Have a look at most the install problems,hassles on these very pages,??

We have a PC and 2 Macs,no music on the PC for me,again just a choice.

Plz end this with a PC wins comment and lock the Thread

Butter Buns
    Participant

i really dont even see a mac v. pc thing goin down here. i want a mac. like rosie o’donnel wants donuts. but b.sabbath is right about a thousand dlr pc being more powerful than a 2000 dlr mac. one of the main reasons i want a mac is the onboard firewire port. my pc’s firewire port sucked and i have to use an expresscard =

SurCalifas CZ
    Participant

I don’t know anything about the $2k Mac that everyone keeps talking about .  I have one of the smaller new iMacs with an i5 quadcore with almost the exact same processing power as my Dell i5 quadcore.  The Mac was almost exactly the same price as the Dell.  But I also got the nice monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. I lose the portability of a laptop but, hey, that’s the breaks.  I use PCs for work and as far as my work goes Dell and Windows 7 64 bit are just fine.  Hell, they are better than fine, they almost feel like OSX these days . Seriously, I’m not a fanatic, just a guy trying to make some tunes.  Maybe I am an idiot and all the problems I had in the installations were my stupidity… twice and still no go.  Just funny that first time through it worked like a charm on the iMac and I have been happily learning my new Superior Drummer ever since (btw, I ****ing LOVE THIS PROGRAM!).  I am not trying sell Macs just relating my experience. I do kinda resent the “you get what you pay for comments” though. Below are the systems I am using and their respective prices.

iMac 21.5-inch:
    2.5GHz 2.5GHz Quad-Core
    Intel Core i5 1920 x 1080 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory
    500GB hard drive
    1 AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB
    Ships: Within 24hrs Free Shipping  $1,199.00

DELL E6420
    Intel® Core™ i5-2520M (2.50GHz, 3M cache) with Turbo BoostTechnology 2.0
    http://www.dell.com/mc.ashx?id=Tech-Spec-Formatting:MDA-ToolTip&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&modalwidth=400&modalHeight=150&ovropac=0&modalscroll=yes&modaltarget=div&modaltype=tooltip&position=bottom&title=Genuine&flip=true&eventType=rollover Windows® 7 Professional 64-Bit
    4GBhttp://www.dell.com/mc.ashx?id=technotes:graphics-and-system-memory&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&modalwidth=400&modalHeight=150&ovropac=0&modalscroll=yes&modaltarget=div&modaltype=tooltip&position=bottom&title=Important%20Details&flip=false&eventType=rollover DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    500GBhttp://www.dell.com/mc.ashx?id=technotes:hard-drive&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&modalwidth=400&modalHeight=150&ovropac=0&modalscroll=yes&modaltarget=div&modaltype=tooltip&position=bottom&title=Important%20Details&flip=false&eventType=rollover hard drive (7200RPM)
    8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™, no media
    Dell Price $1074.00  + I another $110 for the docking station

Butter Buns
    Participant

@SurCalifas CZ yea look at a fully loaded macbook pro then check out a $1000 dlr pc laptop.

also my 2 1/2 year old hp laptop has the same specs as a current entry level macbook pro.

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

Wow couldn’t get something working in windows? So it’s Windows’ fault, sheeesh, doesn’t matter what the tools are a poor workman is bound to blame them… I’m not an OS fanboy, but it still makes me wonder what on earth you were doing first time round that you couldn’t get it to work but then magically the mac OS sorted it out for you.

With all due respect, unless there was a specific driver/OS issue why did the mac suddenly solve all the problems? Hardly a learning curve if the problem re-surfaces…

ORIGINAL: juicy

Good to hear Vincenizzzle.
    A windows machine usually equals more downtime.
    Most pro studios have a Mac happily doin the audio grinding.but hey its just a choice .

Interesting, most of the studios I’ve visited tend to use PC platforms now due to cost and very little to differentiate the two platforms (cheers intel) and as for the downtime, it’s the same, if a piece of hardware dies or a piece of software goes up the spout (lets not forget the pure weight of the processing involved) it still takes the same time to fix.

All this mac vs PC is just nonsense and it’s comments like the above quoted that only further perpetuate the stereotypes.

A tool is at it’s best when it’s designed for the job.

Regards.

D.

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.