Why Toontrack doesn’t allow more third party products to use their engine?

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

Part of the problem is that everyone’s ‘engine’ works in a different manner.

Mark Williams
    Participant

Well, in the case of Platinum Samples, it’s up to THEM what to port over, not Toontrack. Platinum Samples have already said that if the Evil Drums SDX sells well, they will port over other products, like the Andy Johns package.

I imagine Toontrack would be delighted if there were some other SDX packages, but once they’ve licensed out the engine to a 3rd party, it’s no longer in their hands as to what gets ported over or when.

MBP 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | OSX 10.6.8 Logic Pro 9.1.5 | Metric Halo LIO-8/4P | Apogee ONE SD 2.3.0 | EZP 1.1.0 | Drumtracker 1.0.2

Whitten
    Participant

I actually think it’s often a two way street to be fair.
    Parties agree to a joint business venture.
    Various reasons would hinder such a process between two equal partners – personalities, financial viability of the project, a shared interest in working together.

Mark Williams
    Participant

sure, that would make sense.

I do remember Rail saying at some point that Platinum was planning on releasing other libraries of theirs for Superior, but it was conditional on how well the Joe Barresi pack sold first.

MBP 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | OSX 10.6.8 Logic Pro 9.1.5 | Metric Halo LIO-8/4P | Apogee ONE SD 2.3.0 | EZP 1.1.0 | Drumtracker 1.0.2

Martinooo29
    Participant

I agree with you this is probably marketing related. You want your product to sell well to keep both parties happy. There is a licencing issue, market demand and lots more. I hope that Joe Barresi pack will sell well. I think in BFD you can hear machine gun effect on toms and snare, while with superior drummer it is very smooth and realistic.

Martin
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more. More third party releases and especially from Platinum Samples.

I’ve also noticed the big difference in how Evil Drums plays on Superior Drummer compared to BFD2. The Superior Drummer engine is simply superior. 

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.