We still need native linux support !!

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • beargo
    Participant

What do you mean by outdated libraries? I also like to have native support but I don’t have any problem installing EZdrummer and EZkeys in Linux (both Ubuntustudio and Opensuse) with updated libraries, I think.

Bengt from Sweden

John
    Participant

Hi Bengt,

I meant that I have found (until your post saying that you have it working) only old posts on various forums and until you, no one communicating how to make it work. (maybe I haven’t searched enough)

When I ask for native linux support it is also for the lesser “linux nerds” but more “musicians” to be able to use it without too much hassle.

If  you are willing to share the process, I am looking for how you manage to do this, especially the tricky part to avoid the dreaded “the product manager failed”

Thank you.

John

Richard Winn
    Participant

I’m looking to change my setup to Linux and use Ardour.  My main song writing tools are Superior Drummer 2, EZbass and EZkeys.  I would appreciate any comments on how I might best achieve using these with Ardour.  Is there any support from Toontrack to help?

Richie

Scott

I’m looking to change my setup to Linux and use Ardour.  My main song writing tools are Superior Drummer 2, EZbass and EZkeys.  I would appreciate any comments on how I might best achieve using these with Ardour.  Is there any support from Toontrack to help?

Richie

Linux is not a supported OS for Toontrack products I’m afraid. So we can’t offer any support for its use and it is a “use at your own risk” type of thing.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

ivan carling
    Participant

There is a steadily increasing number of musicians, engineers and producers migrating to Linux these days  & as of a few days ago, I am one of them.  Also a beta tester for ToonTrack, so I would LOVE to help the plugins migrate to native Linux.  Fingers crossed!

Thanked by: Derek
    Richard Winn
    Participant

I am in the process of setting up AVLinuxMXE (which seems to be the best option for music production) and the first job will be to see which of my instruments will function.  I will post my progress (or lack of) in this forum.  Perhaps with the increasing number of musicians, engineers and producers migrating to Linux we might see some support with our efforts from Toontrack.  Fingers crossed indeed.

Richie

John
    Participant

@Richard Winn :

Ez drummer and ezbass work well with wine under reaper also in wine, no crash since the beginning, everything is pretty stable, I have not had the slightest problem with it.

Reaper is so well written, that must help a lot.

As a matter of fact I have switched to AvlMxe several month ago and I have to report that since last update of wine, wineasio (6.8) do not work anymore which frustrate me a lot (I am an happy user of the great ML SOUNDLAB products).

I have tried full reinstall but as soon as the update comes … wineasio.dll (even with the path to the actual dll …)  not registering anymore and all soft that rely on it do not work.

So, if you manage to make it work, I would appreciate your help.

Samuel Braun
    Participant

+1 for native Linux support for Superior Drummer 3

Since OSX is “linux based” it shouldn’t be that hard to achieve that…

I expect more stability for live E-Drumming from Linux than Windows.

Derek
    Participant

Richie

Linux is not a supported OS for Toontrack products I’m afraid. So we can’t offer any support for its use and it is a “use at your own risk” type of thing.

This is gravely unfortunate. There are so many reasons to switch to Linux for an OS< or at least to include support for it natively. You already use macOS which is Unix/Linux based. I don’t understand why (other than crApples are everywhere) you wouldn’t support Linux, at least as an option. I just don’t get it. Some insight would be great!

james scott
    Participant

the answer is really simple. money. the equation is not enough people use Linux for audio currently so there is no budget to hire someone who can do the coding. that would actually probably lose developers money. the only solution is people just need to start using Linux. the downside is that when the good turns to evil. or, windows becomes the Linux and Linux becomes the windows. toontrack will always be here though so what ever happens, they will follow. but from what i can gather, it will work in most cases but its not easy as pie.

Reezlaw
    Participant

MacOS has little to do with Linux, they do share a common ancestor but the kernel is very different

Thanked by: Beek
    Dramius
    Participant

I’m not so sure there arent enough Linux users to make it cost effective.   I work in computer repair, and while most computer users are just casual web, social, email, etc., then you have work from home, games.  Casual, know nothing users are win or mac.  We DO get a little dual boot, and pure linux stuff.

Now, The guys who do audio, video, & the likes, are always asking about the Linux situation, or have found a way to make the switch.  They want a clean, unclutered system.  So the more plugins that DO become available…  the unavailability is like a dam.  Once that dam is removed, I believe youll find a FLOOD of users switching to Linux.

Just my 2 cents

Christopher Layton
    Participant

I too would like linux support.  I have been a long paid user for Reaper.  I used this on windows first, then macosx because of the asio compatibility.  I have spent lots of money here at toontrack, and Reaper is also native linux.  I have migrated to Ubuntu because I no longer like the privacy violations of Microsoft and Apple, they are both terrible.  I have also been an engineer in the linux dept for a long long long time.  Right now, as the current technology allows, my native linux install can see all 3 of my USB interfaces (4, 8, and two 8’s with an optical cable), I can track all day long to a metronome.  Reaper sees these interfaces as well and bam.  All of my other VST plugins, i simply moved into my VST folder and pointed reaper to that, boom.  Go to install EZdrummer2 to get a session and super let down.  I have reaper and ezdrummer2 both working together with wine, but wine will never allow the system to see my interfaces, regardless of jack, or anything else that i’ve tried.  So although all my midi stuff is working great, i can’t actually select a microphone, or an entire drum room to record.  So yeah, that’s terrible.  I would super appreciate since you guys have made QUITE A LOT OF MONEY over the years, to put in some additional time and release the toontrack installer/catalog for linux.  And if it sounds like some impossible task, i would really ask that you reach out to Kenny Goioa of the reaper team as he can probably tell you how to do it.  So now I have to essentially tear down wine, remove it, and find a spare hard drive, put crummy windows back on, find the drivers, so that i can see the interfaces just to use a product that was compatible with the mac, but not linux.  I’ve made my choice and understand that I have to stick with it, but for what it’s worth, all these posts about “not that big of a community” well, we’re growing, and faster than the 90’s, that’s for sure.

catharsis
    Participant

Unfortunately we are in 2022 and you still make software not compatible with Linux. Incredible…

Thanked by: philippe capitani and Beek
    Cory Graff
    Participant

Im going to miss my old Reaper/Toontrack setup, but not enough to go back to Windows.

Anyway, I would also greatly appreciate an Ubuntu compatible version.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.