Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

User MIDI File Organization & Mapping?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 8 replies - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bezo winZ
    Participant

I checked the project you attached.

You have the kick notes on note 36 in the Superior Drummer 3 MIDI, and the kick is listening to note 36 – so it works when you have the MIDI in Superior Drummer 3.

In the MIDI mapping, you have set up note 36 to be mapped to note 127, which leads to that it plays the snare rimshot when you drag it to the DAW!

Further, you had mapped note 33 and 34 to note 36 (the kick), but I don’t think you have any notes that plays either 33 or 34, so that mapping doesn’t do anything.

• This post was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Henrik.

I’ll be able to look at the project in a couple of hours. But help me understand how to remap articulations. What I did was go to Settings / MIDI In, select an articulation, hit “Learn” and hit the pad/key I want it assigned to. It seemed to work.

Why did this work for the snares but not the kick. How does the kick end up 36 in one place and 127 in another? Is that 127 the MIDI out mapping that I didn’t change?

In MIDI In settings, I filtered so only kicks would show. There were 2 instances. I changed both of them to C1 (I guess that’s 36). There are kicks in the groove. How is 36, formerly 33 & 34 not in the groove?

And what can I do about the duplicate mappings? When I remap hats, cymbals & toms, those same articulations have additional, default mappings that don’t change.

I’m confused but happy it’s user error.

I want kits to respond to my MIDI In mapping. And I want grooves dragged to the song creator & to my DAW with that same mapping. How do I do that?

SD3 v3.3.6, EZbass v1.1.7, EZkeys v1.3.4
    Studio One v5.5.2, Cubase v12.0.60
    3.6GHz Intel i9 iMac, 64GB RAM, OS 12.6.1

Bezo winZ
    Participant

You have the kick notes on note 36 in the Superior Drummer 3 MIDI, and the kick is listening to note 36 – so it works when you have the MIDI in Superior Drummer 3.

Yeah, I’m lost. My attempt was to map Kick Open & Kick Hit to A0/33 & A#0/34. And I see that under Note In and To Articulation. Then under the Mapping tab, I see that translating (not sure what I’m looking at now or what to call it) to 35 and 36, Kick Hit & Kick Open. Is this not correct if I want the MIDI to drag out to A0/33 & A#0/34?

Took some poking around, but OK, in the MIDI Mapping Property Box, I also see the Kick Hit & Open on 35 & 36. But this is the internal MIDI, right. I thought I didn’t want to touch this.

In the MIDI mapping, you have set up note 36 to be mapped to note 127, which leads to that it plays the snare rimshot when you drag it to the DAW!

This is where I really get lost. I don’t have anything remapped to note 127. But I’m on my travelling computer, so maybe I didn’t map them the same. That’s be a hell of a miss though. On this one, the default is a brush stroke.

Further, you had mapped note 33 and 34 to note 36 (the kick), but I don’t think you have any notes that plays either 33 or 34, so that mapping doesn’t do anything.

I just don’t know what I’m doing, or I’m misunderstand the instructions or what’s possible.

Is it possible to change MIDI In mapping and have that work on SD3 grooves dragged from the browser to the Song Creator? And then drag & drop that from the Song Creator to my DAW with that MIDI In mapping in tact? If so, how?

You mention the internal MIDI mapping. To get the results I want, is it necessary to change those as well? I remember you saying changing those will force the SD3 grooves to play incorrectly.

Bezo winZ
    Participant

I was mistaken, the MIDI is not “reverse mapped” when dragged from Superior Drummer 3 to a DAW, so you are correct in that nothing happens in that scenario. So all transforms are made when MIDI is going in to SD3 – either by having MIDI in the DAW, or dragging a MIDI file in to SD3.

Had to go back. I didn’t get this when you said it. OK, so what I’m trying to do can’t be done? If that’s the final answer, that kills my whole workflow.

What is the theory behind making this so complicated? Why not a universal MIDI mapping, in & out? What’s the purpose of separating them with no option to match/link them?

Bezo winZ
    Participant

I don’t understand what, but the MIDI In remapping is doing something to the SD3 grooves.

Henrik
    Participant

The basic functionality of the incoming MIDI mapping is really basic:

You select an incoming note that should be mapped to another note.

For example for a mapping where note 36 is mapped to not 38.

• Midi note 36 that goes in to Superior Drummer 3 will be sent to note 38.
      • In this scenario, all kick notes (kick is default note 36)  will be sent to the snare (since it has note 38 by default)

I strongly suggest that you don’t change the internal MIDI notes before you learn how the MIDI In mapping works 🙂

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

• This post was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Henrik.
    Bezo winZ
    Participant

I you’re referring to the SD3 grooves like I am, people actually use that? Seems like that’s covered by the MIDI Editor; moving a pattern from one instrument/articulation to another.

Seems like the MIDI In settings could be put to better use when it comes to the SD3 grooves, like remapping the articulations from one note to another; kick from 36 to 34, for example, especially since the internal MIDI settings can’t do it.

Ehh well. Thanks though.

azimpradhan
    Participant

@Bezo winZ Thank you for this thread. I was trying to do exactly this (use a custom mapping and still be able to drag grooves to the DAW) expecting them to get reverse mapped, but this thread confirms that it is not possible. Even in 2023.

azimpradhan
    Participant

I can think of one potential solution:

Use the internal sequencer of EZ drummer. This will allow you to use your custom mapping and mix and match your playing with grooves from ez drummer. Then any time you wish to export a groove, change the midi mapping to “Toontrack standard” and drag the midi out to the daw.

Viewing 8 replies - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.