Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

User MIDI File Organization & Mapping?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Henrik
    Participant

1st, can user MIDI files be “imported” into the software so that they’re available in a similar fashion to the included/purchased patterns?

Yes. They will be searchable with tap2find, listed in search results, etc. Their tags can’t be edited, so you can’t label a file a certain genre for example. But you can always rename the files and folders in the User MIDI, and use the text search feature to find what you’re looking for!

Besides renaming/moving files in SD3, you can also right click the User MIDI and select to show it Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows). In there you can organize the structure, rename the folders and files, etc.

If so, can they be organized into groups? A “funk grooves” folder, for example?

Yes

I know MIDI re-mapping is available, but does SDX provide other well known mappings? GM, and maybe other popular drum plugins?

and Yes 😀

Screenshot-2019-05-21-at-07.43.45
    Screenshot shows what the list of mapping options for the User MIDI folder looks like. Those mappings can also be applied to all incoming MIDI.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

• This post was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Henrik.

Thanked by: Bezo winZ
    Bezo winZ
    Participant

Sweet! Thanks for the thorough answer, Henrik.

SD3 v3.3.6, EZbass v1.1.7, EZkeys v1.3.4
    Studio One v5.5.2, Cubase v12.0.60
    3.6GHz Intel i9 iMac, 64GB RAM, OS 12.6.1

• This post was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Bezo winZ.

Thanked by: Henrik
    Bezo winZ
    Participant

You saw my last post before I edited.

A couple of follow up questions…

Hopefully I can ask this clearly.

If I use a different mapping and drag & drop patterns from SD3 to my DAW, does that mapping remain?

Secondly, I use a custom mapping for finger drumming on 4×4 pads (MPC style), different than the GM files I’d be importing. Because I edit & play over portions of the patterns, I need the mapping consistent. Any suggestions for accomplishing this?

For example, in Addictive Drummer, you put the GM map file in the folder with the GM MIDI files. That MIDI is “automatically” mapped for AD2 and I can remap from there. Anything like this with SD3 or would I create a map to get from GM directly to my custom set up?

Again, hopefully I’m being clear.

Bezo winZ
    Participant

Somewhat bumping in case you missed my edit, but I have another question…

I imagined SD3 would be more CPU & RAM hungry than what I currently use, Addictive Drums 2. But poking around the net is telling me it may be hungrier than I imagined. Running only a 2017 Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, I’m now concerned.

I know there are RAM/CPU optimizing features, but I’m only coming across older info. Is this still done via Clearing & Cached settings? This seems to work similar to Kontakt’s Purge Samples feature. But the vid I came across revealed a major difference. Rather than samples being added as they’re used, you only get a single velocity layer by using the kit and have to go to another page to manually add more layers. Is this the case in SD3?

Henrik
    Participant

If I use a different mapping and drag & drop patterns from SD3 to my DAW, does that mapping remain? Secondly, I use a custom mapping for finger drumming on 4×4 pads (MPC style), different than the GM files I’d be importing. Because I edit & play over portions of the patterns, I need the mapping consistent. Any suggestions for accomplishing this?

The MIDI that you drag out from Superior Drummer 3 is adjusted to be played with SD3 (without it having to have any MIDI mappings enabled). It’s the same regardless if you drag MIDI from the song track, or from the User MIDI folder with a mapping active.

When you import MIDI to Superior Drummer 3 and having a MIDI mapping enabled for MIDI In, you’ll get a question if you want to convert that MIDI to Superior Drummer 3 standard, or not.

I know there are RAM/CPU optimizing features, but I’m only coming across older info. Is this still done via Clearing & Cached settings?

There are several ways to save CPU and RAM.

• Save CPU
      • Don’t use 16 bit mode, since this uses more CPU.
      • Remove/disable mixer effects that aren’t necessary when composing the song. Add/enable them when you mix, and then bounce the song.
    • Save RAM
      • Using 16 bit mode will increase the CPU, but decrease the memory used – since 16 bit requires less space than the larger original bit depth.
      • Using Cache mode will only load the hits that you play.
      • Disable bleed while you create and mix your song, and then bounce the song from SD3 and there enabled the bleed.
      • Lower the number of velocity layers, which lets the instrument have fewer layers to choose from.
      • Unload unused articulations from instruments.
      • Unload unused instruments.

I might have forgotten some ways to optimize the software, but these were the ones I could list by heart 🙂

Toontrack

• This post was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Henrik.

Bezo winZ
    Participant

Henrik,

Your explanation is going over my head. Let me ask a different way.

If I did have a custom map enabled, because I would need it finger drum, and I record my own pattern, what mapping would the dragged out MIDI have?

Another way, if I have a custom map enabled and say no, I don’t want to convert the import MIDI to SD3 standard, will it convert to my custom mapping instead?

And specifically about Cashe mode, will it load ALL velocities as I play?

Thanks again! This is a fairly large investment, so I want to make sure I understand what I’m getting into.

Henrik
    Participant

If I did have a custom map enabled, because I would need it finger drum, and I record my own pattern, what mapping would the dragged out MIDI have?

When you have a custom mapping set, and record things to the song track, the MIDI is transformed on the input of SD3 and the MIDI on the song track will be the transformed MIDI. So if you drag that MIDI to your DAW, it will be transformed.

And specifically about Cashe mode, will it load ALL velocities as I play?

No, it will load the layer you played. This mode is made for having MIDI on the song track and you only want to load the minimum amount of samples to play that correctly. If it loaded all velocity layers for each played articulation, it would require more memory usage which for the majority of users would be unnecessary.

If you are going to play Superior Drummer 3 live (using an e-kit, keyboard, etc.) I suggest that you use some of the other ways to decrease the memory usage!

Toontrack

Bezo winZ
    Participant

I think I got it. Pardon for being so confirmy, but…

Re: MIDI Mapping, when you say the MIDI will be transformed, that’s transformed to my custom mapping, correct? Not transformed from my custom mapping to the SD3 default mapping?

Re: Cashe Mode, I misspoke. I meant all velocities that I actually play. In a vid that triggered this question (thought I referenced it), the user shows only 1 layer being added no matter what velocities were played, and adding more velocities required going to another page. But he was working in SD1. Relative part starts @2:25 https://youtu.be/AcfH8oa9Cww

Thanks again!

Henrik
    Participant

Re: MIDI Mapping, when you say the MIDI will be transformed, that’s transformed to my custom mapping, correct? Not transformed from my custom mapping to the SD3 default mapping?

No, when the MIDI enters SD3 and you have a custom mapping on the incoming MIDI, the MIDI is transformed from your MIDI to Superior Drummer 3 internal MIDI standard.

However, the result is the same as if it was vice versa (the MIDI was intact but the SD3 internal MIDI standard mapping was changed).

Note that you can also change the internal MIDI standard of SD3 to achieve what thought was the case, but this has the downside that when you play Toontrack MIDI it won’t be correct since the instruments will now play on other MIDI notes than what the MIDI files says.  It has other disadvantages too, such as ease of saving your custom user presets, etc.

To summarize, you can both transform the incoming MIDI or change the internal MIDI mapping of SD3, but the first option is to recommend!

Re: Cashe Mode, I misspoke. I meant all velocities that I actually play. In a vid that triggered this question (thought I referenced it), the user shows only 1 layer being added no matter what velocities were played…

Everything that you play will be added to RAM, so that when you play a MIDI file the first time all required hits are stored, the next time you play that MIDI file all required hits will be preloaded.

Toontrack

Bezo winZ
    Participant

Ughhh! Re: Mapping, not ideal for my needs. As long as I stay in SD3’s sequencer, I’d be OK. I’ll have to figure something out for when I want to swap SD3 out for another one of my drum VIs after settling on a drum sequence.

Re: Cache Mode, sweet! Not sure if you watched the vid or were already aware, but the old way looked like a major workflow killer.

Thanks  again! You’ve been a major help.

Henrik
    Participant

Ughhh! Re: Mapping, not ideal for my needs. As long as I stay in SD3’s sequencer, I’d be OK. I’ll have to figure something out for when I want to swap SD3 out for another one of my drum VIs after settling on a drum sequence.

You can always record arm your DAW simultaneously with the song track of SD3 so you record MIDI both in the DAW and SD3. Mute or move the MIDI from the DAW timeline and keep as a backup!

PS. You won’t need another drum VI ;-D

Toontrack

Bezo winZ
    Participant

Theoretical question regarding the mapping & exporting: If I remapped SD3’s standard mapping and matched exactly to a custom MIDI In/Edrums mapping, would Toontrack MIDI play correctly? And would the exported MIDI have my custom mapping, or would I need to set MIDI In/Edrum back to default mapping?

And after poking around with SD3, you may be right, I might not need another drum VI. SD3 is feature packed! If I had a few SDXs, I at least wouldn’t need other acoustic kit VIs. There’s some nice electronic sounds in there too, but I’ll need to get more acquainted with the mixer & stacking.

Henrik
    Participant

If I remapped SD3’s standard mapping and matched exactly to a custom MIDI In/Edrums mapping, would Toontrack MIDI play correctly?

No. MIDI that is played from within SD3 (from the Grooves tab, from the Song Track, or other places) won’t use the E-drums/MIDI In mapping. That will, as the name states, only affect incoming MIDI.

Toontrack

Bezo winZ
    Participant

I’ve come to realize I also need the SD3 & imported grooves to drag out to my DAW with my custom mapping. Everything works fine in the SD3 song track, but it’s a hassle jumping back & forth to it & my DAW. And I do like adding parts from the grooves to my played patterns; SD3 hats over my kick & snare for example.

Unless I’m missing something, I need to change the internal MIDI but wanted to discuss your warning.

Note that you can also change the internal MIDI standard of SD3 to achieve what thought was the case, but this has the downside that when you play Toontrack MIDI it won’t be correct since the instruments will now play on other MIDI notes than what the MIDI files says.  It has other disadvantages too, such as ease of saving your custom user presets, etc.

I’m sure I’m misunderstanding, but it sounds like you’re saying remapping the internal MIDI will cause the SD3 & imported grooves not to play correctly. Shouldn’t it simply remap the grooves & play them correctly?

Assuming I’m misunderstanding you there, my 2nd question is how will this effect my MIDI in mapping? If I have it in place before I change the internal mapping, will it still work? Will I need to switch it back to the default when the internal mapping is changed?

Basically, help me understand how I can get all MIDI, in & out custom mapped.

McNeill1
    Participant

If you have a MIDI file containing meta-events with time signature and tempo information for a piece of music, it can be imported into a Revoice track to display the bar/beat information.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.