Track lists and pictures of the mic’d rooms

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • John

Have you checked the Media section of the SDX:s? There’s behind the scenes material and, depending on SDX, videos related to them.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

Yes. I can see a few pieces of rack gear and make out some of the mics. I can also see a bit of the room in some of the photos. The studios used in the NY SDX had huge tracking rooms. They look really cool. There is a blurry shot of a track list in the C&V pics…

http://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbuxxx

Whitten
    Participant

Everything can change from drum to drum, and kit to kit.
    I know when I’m doing one, everything is just so fast and frantic. Every minute is spent recording as many drums as possible for the pack, and we usually have unrecorded drums at the end of the time allowed.
    Pictures of the set-ups should be ok though, as video/photographers aren’t generally involved in the actual recording.

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Whitten
    Everything can change from drum to drum, and kit to kit.
    I know when I’m doing one, everything is just so fast and frantic. Every minute is spent recording as many drums as possible for the pack…

Oh…it all makes sense now! Well, I’d prefer that you guys just continue making drum samples, instead of stopping to take pictures of everything. Good job, guys. Carry on.

Whitten
    Participant

I took my camera to The Classic sessions and didn’t snap a single picture.
    I shot video, but I had to squeeze it in when someone was moving mics, or we were taking a tea break, which unfortunately meant I barely got a break over several days.

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Whitten
    …which unfortunately meant I barely got a break over several days.

ouch.

Nathan
    Participant

IT must make you doubt your vocation, or even your sanity at times

Got to be worse than even the most tedious overdub sessions I’ve been subjected to. I don’t know how you manage to keep an even hand through it all. How many days off do you have to take after a session? -or do you dive straight into a “normal” gig to readjust your perspectives?

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Whitten
    Participant

I don’t play drums every week anyway, so it isn’t an issue for me. I’m just saying it’s mentally taxing and quite exhausting being behind the kit for these things.
    On a personal note, we’ve ended up recording my SDX/EZX’s at lower budget studios, simply because they happened to be the places with the rare, vintage desks, and a drum room. These studios have more technical issues, sometimes because of the lower budget rates, but often because of the rare vintage gear.
    So you sometimes get the dreaded – “that snare we just spent an hour sampling, we’ve just discovered a slight hum on one channel, we need to do it all again”.

Working at Blackbird or Allaire, and Hit factory has to be a little more fun.

Nathan
    Participant

It’s easy to forget the focus and concentration it must take, not to mention the blows of these backwards steps. Does it hurt, physically, with the constant sitting behind the kit in one position, without the usual playing then listen breaks, etc…

Thanks for sharing Chris.

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.