toon track rock songs midi pack verses groove monkee rock essentials 1 or 2

Other Pre-sales
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • jgro002
    Participant

I don’t have the rock songs midi yet, but I do have some groove monkee stuff (including the one you mention) and I find it unuseable, on account of how loosely it is played. I don’t mean ‘it hasn’t been quantized’ kinda loose (I wouldn’t wanna be using quantized midi), I genuinely think it is just too sloppy to be useful. Just my opinion of course, so no body jump on me!

The Toontrack midi packs I have are by far the best midi I have used. I found the Songwriters Pack to be great btw!

I think Groove Monkee have a free pack you can get off their site which is like a taster of the different products they have – I would suggest trying that to help make your decision.

Cheers,
    Jeremy.

iMac 3.06 GHz 4 GB OSX 10.6.5, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Logic Pro 9.1.3, Lacie D2 Quadra

Mark Williams
    Participant

I know some people really love Groove Monkee, but I agree with jgro002: their grooves are really way too loose as far as I’m concerned. I do use them on occasion, but when I do, I invariably have to quantize them by 75-80%. That goes a long way to getting things sorted out. It gets the hits closer to the bars and beats without being machine-like. I haven’t picked up the new Rock Songs MIDI yet, either, and I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to (aww, who am I foolin’? I know I’ll end up getting it).

I found the Songwriter’s I Pack to be interesting, and I quite like the setup of verse/chorus/bridge structure, since it’s very musical, but I personally find some of the Songwriter’s I Pack to be too busy for my tastes. Especially the fills. My favorite MIDI for SD2 has been Chris Whitten’s MIDI from the C&V pack. Especially his fills. His performances are just much more real-world to me. I also like the Steve Ferrone MIDI pack from Platinum Samples. That’s one’s quite good, and worth checking out.

Obviously, this stuff is so highly subjective it’s almost ridiculous, but I do think so many of the MIDI packs out there are just far too busy.

MBP 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | OSX 10.6.8 Logic Pro 9.1.5 | Metric Halo LIO-8/4P | Apogee ONE SD 2.3.0 | EZP 1.1.0 | Drumtracker 1.0.2

Neil
    Participant

I have to agree with Markham that some or i would say most of the Songwriter’s I Pack to be too busy. I can’t seem to find really simple fills without taking a 2bar or 4 bar and splitting/cuting and then moving it to fit. why doesn’t someone make a couple of really simple intro fills? I am no drummer and look to the Midi packs to help but no luck.

Aside from the fill problem I perfer toontack midi over groove monley hands down.

Platinum Samples
    Participant

ORIGINAL: mrneil2

why doesn’t someone make a couple of really simple intro fills? I am no drummer and look to the Midi packs to help but no luck.

Check out: http://www.platinumsamples.com/ps/SteveFerroneGrooves.php

Rail

Professionally Recorded Multitrack Drum Samples
    http://tinyurl.com/26k2xjo
    www.platinumsamples.com

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.