Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Toms for SD2

Studio Corner
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rogue

if you mean rolls, and their timing specifically, the key aspect is to vary the velocity so that the accented strokes fall where they should and not arbitrarily, and typically adequate spacing to simulate the drummer speeding up progressively after entering the fill, and a ‘1’ ahead of the beat. It all depends what is bothering you with your current results though and YMMV.

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

Through These Gates
    Participant

Its not the rolls and stuff its the actuall sound of the toms. I downloaded the steven slate presets but not sure how they work. Im using SD full kit so there is like 5 toms and like 7 cymbals I kinda put the kit together using the ride from the drum kit from hell. Im actually eq’n the stuff but the toms sound horrible. They sound like super Hollow and when I try to put some Bottom end on them the tom now has too much bass. When I take the bottom end out of it now the tom has no life to it. It seems the steven slate preset is designed for maybe a 5 piece drum kit. Im not sure the snare sounded aweful the kick was horrible the toms rattled my speakers and had extremely way too much bass in them. Im not sure what to do I have emailed toontrack but seems to be no help. I actually asked them to mix the drums for me and help me establish some guidelines for mixing toontrack drums. I realize there are many possibilities but still when I say I want professional sounding toms the could have done something instead of saying im sorry but we cant help you there.

Scott

Try this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+mix+drums…

All kidding aside, there are a couple of other options as well.

First, if I was making a record and my mix wasn’t cutting it, I would seriously consider hiring someone to mix for me. You can use the bounce feature in S2 and send the audio to the mixing engineer to mix.

Another thing would be looking into something like http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezmix-2/ and EZmix packs as an inexpensive way of improving the stock sounds in Avatar. You could also look into the http://www.toontrack.com/product/metalheads-ezx/ as the sounds may be more ‘out of the box’ ready for you. I would recommend http://www.toontrack.com/product/the-metal-foundry-sdx/ but the sounds are even less processed and raw than the Avatar sounds.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Dingo
    Participant

Hey I don’t mind helping out!

If you want to send me the Midi file and link me to some kind of referance material for the sound you’re after I don’t mind having ago. Could even try mix a track for you…

Regards, Marcus.

Through These Gates
    Participant

I have the metal foundry already but not wanting to use it on this albumn. I am getting good sounds as far as the kick and snare its just the toms that feel out of place sonically. They sound really Hollow and fake. I try to add some Depth to them but it turns too Bassy and I back it off and it just sucks the Life out of them. Toontrack is not really helping me out because im not using the standard kit for SD Avatar im actually using the full kit with some Cymbal Additions so its a custom kit.

Dingo
    Participant

Have you tried layering the Toms ? I’ve double up on them before and detuned one to give it more low punch. Takes a bit of fiddling but you can pull it off. Or you could just use the toms out of Metal foundry? I prefer the toms out of that library.

Regards, Marcus.

Butter Buns
    Participant

scott is right about the metalheads ezx. i tweaked some of the settings in that ezx and got a beast of a sound. and the toms sound beefy and phat. i did up the faders on the toms and compressed the fuck out of everything. you could try putting a compressor and transient designer in one of the busses and route all the toms to that bus. also you can do some eq sweeps to find the frequencies that are making that hollow sound. once you find the frequency then just apply a cut. i actually managed to get a really nice sound out of the avatar kit for my grindcore stuff…but ive since moved on to the metal foundry

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.