TD20 vs Alesis i/o

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mattias
    Forum Crew

The Alesis I/O did not work very well for me, it had problems double triggering samples, and also, the latency is twice as high, the velocity respons didnt feel good at all….
    I didnt give it much time though, but I did a serious test with the latency, and I did try it out with a drummer (NirZ) to feel the difference as well…

So, don’t buy it without comparing it to something else.

Mattias Eklund - Toontrack
    Head Of Sound Design

Whitten
    Participant

Great.
    An answer direct from the master.

thanks.

Damian Blunt

JoeK had a poor experience with Alesis IO as far as I can remember.  It won’t give some of the more advanced features like positional sensing on the ride and snare also.

Obviously there is a big price difference but I’d go for one of the cheaper Roland modules if that’s an issue.

Damian Blunt - Toontrack
    Quality Assurance
    Betatesting

MikeyVPT
    Participant

Not to go against the grain (and I realize I’m a few months behind on this thread), but I use the Trigger IO with EZDrummer, and I think my videos show some really great results.  True, I’m using the PreSonus FireBox as my audio driver, also, BUT once I got my hands on EZD, I loaded it up, hooked it up to one of my RET drum pads, and gave it a real workout.

Not only could I hit my fastest doubles, but I got tons of sensitivity for both the head and rim triggers.  It might just be the RET Percussion pads (They have a lot of sensitivity), or the fact that I can handle an Alesis Trigger IO in my sleep, but it does the best job for the price!

In my COMPLETE OPINION, I’m not saying it’s the best product to use (because it has it’s share of limitations), but for the price, I think it puts a Check to the Mate on a Roland brain for a TMI.

I would really like to see a Suped up IO box, loaded with Toontrack software, on an RET Percussion set.  That would put to shame any other combination, I feel.

-mikey

President - Virtual Percussion Outlet (.com) Equipment: RET Percussion Fusion Pro-CX and Stealth kit, VPT system from RET (EZDrummer with all expansions AND Superior 2.0, BFD2 also), PreSonus FireBox, Pro-Mark Sticks. www.youtube.com/MikeyVPT

fignewton
    Participant

I thiink you are going to notice usability.
    Having read on this forum and personal experience, the Roland Modules where working out of the box.  I plugged it in the MIDI out to my Edirol and i was playing.
    The Alesis IO I had to do a lot of tweaking to get working.
    Up to you.

MikeyVPT
    Participant

ORIGINAL: fignewton

I thiink you are going to notice usability.
    Having read on this forum and personal experience, the Roland Modules where working out of the box.  I plugged it in the MIDI out to my Edirol and i was playing.
    The Alesis IO I had to do a lot of tweaking to get working.
    Up to you.

It’s true… the IO is a different piece of hardware and comes with a learning curve.  When I first bought the VPT package, it took some getting used to.  I have it mastered, I feel.

Now, as the newest member to the RET Percussion team, we all agreed that it would be best to PRELOAD the Alesis Trigger IO with what we felt was the best general settings!  It’s EZ!

I can’t say enough for the FireBox.  It’s helped out a great deal with latency across the board.

President - Virtual Percussion Outlet (.com) Equipment: RET Percussion Fusion Pro-CX and Stealth kit, VPT system from RET (EZDrummer with all expansions AND Superior 2.0, BFD2 also), PreSonus FireBox, Pro-Mark Sticks. www.youtube.com/MikeyVPT

Whitten
    Participant

This is just for the sake of discussion, and not to be taken personally/too seriously.

Your EZdrummer video is impressive, but I came away thinking the RET/Alesis combo was triggering a majority of the hard hit samples.
    I haven’t had my hand on the set up you use I should add, but I like to see an e-kit only trigger the hardest sounding samples when the drummer is playing their hardest hits, not so much for basic grooving.
    I wonder if my ears were deceiving me, or your personal velocity set up is just philosophically different to mine, or it was the EZdrummer sound I wasn’t used to?

MikeyVPT
    Participant

You’ve got a good ear, my friend 🙂

My personal playing style (PPS) tends to be a bit more subdued than most people.  I like to play without having to hit my drums Hard to reach the higher velocity’s.  Thusly, I set the settings for my PPS to be more sensitive.  It keeps me from sweating during our video shoots, and keeps me fresh when I gig (for the ladies ), and able to keep up with the guys I play with.  I hate having to blast my kit for full velocity ranges (although that’s a few button pushes away…).

You can acheive INSANE amounts of dynamics from the RET kits.  I could probably log ALL 128 velocity layers within EZdrummer from any pad, maybe with the exception of my heavy right foot

In short: the first time I used EZD with just an RET snare, my laptop, and the Alesis IO, I was SO blown away with how easy it was to play my fastest double strokes, and my lightest hits anywhere on the drum.  I really enjoy the VPT setup because it allows for total customization with any PPS!

(Info-mercial Complete!)

-mikey

Whitten
    Participant

Anyway, as I said, it looks good in your video.

MikeyVPT
    Participant

Hahaha… that last response still tickles me!  Short and sweet!

Anywho, have you checked out the newest of the SD2.0 videos?!

RET and Superior Drummer 2 is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/mikeyvpt

-mikey

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.