Superior velocity layers and round robins vs EZDrummer's

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

Just as an example. The Center articulation of the default snare in EZ2 Modern has 50 hits in 17 velocity layers. In SD3 Core the same numbers are 80 hits and 24 layers. The EZ2 snare has three articulations: Center, Rimshot and Sidestick. Sd3 Core has 8 snare articulations. Positional sensing is supplied by Center, Mid Center and Edge. In addition to Rimshot and Sidestick there is a Rim Only articulation and there are also Flam and Ruff articulations.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

Thanked by: particlestorm, sumskilz and Janco
    Caebo
    Participant

Hi! So that makes SD3 around 3 round robin samples per velocity layer?

• This post was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Caebo.
    Erik
    Participant

Hey Caebo,

It’s not quite as simple as counting an average of samples per layer (fortunately..!) and you’re probably doing yourself a disservice by thinking that way. The important thing is whether playback sounds artificial or not.

I don’t think anyone would have a problem putting an EZX in a busy mix, but if you want the drums front and center, the increased range of sounds from a Superior Line product makes it less likely the listener will find anything uncanny about them.

One thing Olof didn’t mention is that the number of samples loaded are actually limited in many SDX libraries (SD3 core to a lesser extent) to keep the memory usage down. For instance, the default Death SDX kit loads 2.6 GB into memory, but removing the layer limits brings that up to 4.1 GB. Does that higher number really make a difference, though? My personal answer to that is that my favorite EZX loads 350 MB into memory and sounds great.

Erik Berglund — Toontrack

Caebo
    Participant

Thanks for your response Erick, but you are not answering my question.

Anyways, SD3 its the most realistic drummer I’ve used, but I thought It would had more round robin samples per layer (without counting any of the ‘adjacent layers’ and ‘velocity to volume’ “tricks” that the engine has), especially on the cymbals (I can only hear 2 round robin variations). I think just an extra round robin hit on the cymbals would had been perfect. Please do not take this as a complaint, but as an observation or suggestion.

I did not know about layer limitations, thank you very much for saying so!

Sorry if I have a bad English.

Thanked by: Rolo Tomasi
    mariannekhos3
    Participant

i just found out the same… no a lot of round robins.. in SD3 SDX new libraries.. maybe that’s why the Hi Hats sound so Bad.. specially in the Softer Hits..  I think SD3 divides.. 127 into.. something like 12 Layers less or more …  and inside those layers only a few round robins.. so That is why … if you ONLY turn on the “Randomize Hits” without all the Adjacent Layers Off.. you can definitely Hear the Machine Gun effect.. so.. it is like a Fake Round Robin what Toontrack SD3 Uses….

that tells you All you need indeed .. in fact if you Solo a Direct Chanel and put the Same let’s say a 100 Midi velocity Hit only with only “Randomize Hits” you definitely can hear the Machine Gun effect ..

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.