Suggestion for future SDX or EZX

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Juicy
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Matthewrayrgv

for example. If i wanted less room in the kit I would need to turn down the room and OH a little but then my hi hat would be reliant on the HI hat mic which is a very trashy (Trashy as in thick and suited more for rock) sound. Now the OH has too much room in it so I can’t get too much hi hat out of the OH mic with out defeating the purpose of a closer sound.

In SD2 you could however go to the mix view of the Room mic or O/H mic and turn down the snr,kik,toms.cyms and leave the hat where full up changing the balance in a subtractive way should be no compromise if done carefully.

I do also believe an SD2 of Americana with a few more options would be very useful.

Whitten
    Participant

‘The Classic’ is a medium room IMO.
    But I take your point, I think small and medium rooms can be more interesting than the bombastic bigger rooms.
    It’s also a question of balance, and taking all the different drum sample companies into account, there does seem to be an emphasis on the big room rock sound.

Juicy
    Participant

Yeah,there’s nothing quite like room mics in a good medium- tight space.
    One other good thing with SD2 is shortening the faders time/length on those big rooms simulates get close.Plus the balancing the bleeds.

Matthewrayrgv
    Participant

well you see i know I could change the bleed to only isolate the Hi hat in the OH mic but the room is so reflective that it would be giving me good hi hat sound but would give alot of room. I am picky about my Hi hats

Juicy
    Participant

Fussy yes i think we all are .
    i know from playing real hats over the years how they should sound in a kit in various rooms or better still outdoors.

ORIGINAL: Matthewrayrgv

If i wanted less room in the kit I would need to turn down the room and OH a little but then my hi hat would be reliant on the HI hat mic which is a very trashy (Trashy as in thick and suited more for rock) sound.

In context to the above statement, turning down the other drums and not the Hi Hats in Room & O/H mic should leave you with the Hats sound it appears you want,no?

Shortening the o/h and room mics just a bit can do wonders with the reflective bigness and create a tighter room sound it worth a valid try.

Jan Erik
    Participant

I make an x-drum of the same hat in the lib I´m using and put the OH mic on it so I have a channel just for the hi-hat. Matter of fact right now I´v done it with the ride. Just now I have a custom set going. Dw drums and the splash symbal from metal foundry. Symbals, hi-hat and ride from Avatar. The ride on it´s own channel. A little bleed in all channels and very little room.

Juicy
    Participant

Yeah that’s definitely another good way to get more out of the sounds too.
    It takes a level of courage to peel back that big room to get more intimate.
    Bonnie Raitt’s “I cant make you love Me” is a nice example of a controlled simplicity and intimate sound.
    It aint wet thats for sure.

TimeBridge
    Participant

it deffo needs PAISTE cymbals!
    not just with the C&V, with the REAL set, REAL cymbals! er… please

as long as it sounds good; go for it!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.