Stacking in SD3 using E drums

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • olliepudge
    Participant

Hi Henrik,

Hate to keep this going, but I have one more question. When I go to stack a second snare and I’m sampling the snares in the list, it sounds like both the snare I’m sampling and the main snare already loaded play together. It sounds distorted and pretty awful. Is there an easy way to hear the snare I’m sampling by itself? I already thought of going into the mixer and muting the currently loaded snare, but this would be kind of tedious. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Josh

olliepudge
    Participant

@olliepudge said:
    Hi Henrik,

Hate to keep this going, but I have one more question. When I go to stack a second snare and I’m sampling the snares in the list, it sounds like both the snare I’m sampling and the main snare already loaded play together. It sounds distorted and pretty awful. Is there an easy way to hear the snare I’m sampling by itself? I already thought of going into the mixer and muting the currently loaded snare, but this would be kind of tedious. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Josh  

Hi Toontrack,

Any tips on this?

Thanks!

Henrik
    Participant

@olliepudge said:
    Hi Toontrack,
    Any tips on this?
    Thanks!  

Do you mean that it sounds like two or more snare are being played when you preview a snare in the Search for Instrument window?

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

olliepudge
    Participant

@Henrik said:

Do you mean that it sounds like two or more snare are being played when you preview a snare in the Search for Instrument window?  

Correct Henrik. When I’m previewing snares in the search for instrument window for the main snare (no stacks yet) they sound fine. It just happens when I go to add a stack. There is a noticeable change in volume when I’m previewing them and they sound distorted. Almost hurts my ears. Not sure what the deal is. Thanks!

Henrik
    Participant

In the bottom of Search for Instrument – you can select if you want to preview the instruments in Search for Instrument through new mixer channels for the close mics. One scenario could be that you have low volume on the current snare’s close mic mixer faders, and when you preview a stack it will (by default) create new mixer channels. If you change the “Route Close Mics to Mixer Channels” to “Existing”, the stacked snare will play through the current snare channels.
    When you load the stack it will also use this setting…

Maybe much information 🙂 But try it and see what difference it makes.

Toontrack

olliepudge
    Participant

@Henrik said:
    In the bottom of Search for Instrument – you can select if you want to preview the instruments in Search for Instrument through new mixer channels for the close mics. One scenario could be that you have low volume on the current snare’s close mic mixer faders, and when you preview a stack it will (by default) create new mixer channels. If you change the “Route Close Mics to Mixer Channels” to “Existing”, the stacked snare will play through the current snare channels.
    When you load the stack it will also use this setting…

Maybe much information 🙂 But try it and see what difference it makes.  

Thanks Henrik! This worked. After I found a snare I liked, I just switched it back to the “Route Mics to Mixer Channels” setting before loading it because I wanted the stack on it’s own fader. Extra step, but not a big deal.

Side note, I absolutely love the Velocity Gate and Soft Hit adjustment settings which may have been available in SD2. Not sure because I didn’t use it much. The MIDI grid editor is amazing as well. It’s nice being able to tighten up my drum tracks after a few beers? I’ve been recording drum tracks with my e drums directly in SD3 using the record function in song creator which I also love so don’t EVER get rid of that please! I absolutely hate all DAWs. Too much much bullshit.

Thanks for the help!

Henrik
    Participant

Keep on rockin’ in the free world, as a wise man once sang Laugh

Toontrack

Bernhard
    Participant

After going through this thread I am still not entirely clear. Here is my take:

Several snares have only one articulation which is ‘hit’. Now afaik ‘hit’ means hitting the drum and resting on the drum which you might do with your bass drum while ‘center’ means hitting the drum in the center. (I could not find a definition of all articulations and how you trigger them. Articulations like ‘rimshot’ are straightforward, but some – e.g. ‘hit’ vs ‘center’ are not)

Now given my understanding is correct ‘hit’ does not make a lot of sense for a snare drum as you hardly ever rest your stick on the snare. I looked in the grid editor and snare does not even show a ‘hit’ articulation there. Either way, I’ve not found any way to trigger the snare ‘hit’ articulation no matter what I am doing.

My understanding is that these presets are just not right. Am I missing anything?

Cheers,
    Bernhard

mnorlob
    Participant

Holy Geez! After 3 years has this bug still not been fixed? I’m having the same issue. So much for drum stacking. Guess I could always do it in my DAW.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.