Shortcut Keys

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • John

Hi,

shortcut keys are not implemented but in the most rudimentary form, like Ctrl/Cmd+S for Save, Shift+Ctrl/Cmd+S for Save, Spacebar for Play/Stop, etc.
    Having shortcut keys in the standalone versions that can’t be implemented in the plugin versions has been deemed as confusing, especially since different hosts let different key strokes pass on to plugins.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

HepcatB
    Participant

Boy, I have to chime in and say that, whatever the obstacles with host diffictulties, this should really be THE priority issue to find a solution for. I have EZDrum, Mix & now Keys, and with everything designed for maximum efficiency, this stands out like a sore thumb – wait, make that sore wrist with horrendous carpal tunnel. With all the auditioning and such, my gosh, the repetitive stress factor is through the roof, not to mention time sucking, momentum killing speed bumpiness. And just plain emotionally soul draining tedium.

One keyboard function that is desperately needed is some form of Up / Down function to go through midi file options, with space bar play control (it seems in EZD2 spacebar can stop a midi audion, but only hitting it twice thus starting Logic play in main window, and stopping both – but it won’t start audition play; it seems messy and underdeveloped to me (especially compared to the general awesomeness of EZ in most ways.) Also undo and edit tool toggle key commands would be priceless. Just a few commands for the heavy lifting functions, please.

If it were feasible, what about an iOS app controller? Maybe something like the Logic X iPad Controller’s 1 Press shortcut function. Probably more issues than just keys alone, but gee willeckers, there’s got to be a solution, the usability improvement would be HUGE. Fervently and passionately submitted #1 request, with no other desired feature coming even remotely close. From a loyal user.

Confused
    Bri

Thanked by: redmusic
    Sean Crosson
    Participant

I have to agree with the comments here, it’s really annoying and cumbersome not to have real keyboard shortcuts in EZD 2 standalone mode. It’s really stupid to say it would be deemed as confusing to allow the shortcuts in standalone and not in the DAW. You are underestimating the intelligence of your users and making the product very difficult to use. I too think that the keyboard shortcuts should be a priority, it is almost a deal breaker that this feature is not implemented (it may become a deal breaker the more that I try use this product).

Nanirio
    Participant

I am actually not going to buy the software because there is no keyboard 🙁 I absolutely can’t use it, it would be a nightmare. I don’t want to use the premade beats, I want to invent something that will fit each riff. Your fills are cool but they don’t know each and everyone’s track, and they cannot guess what each of us want. I know you’ve done a big job by gathering all those beats and fills, and fair play to you, but that’s not the way I want it, the keyboard is 200% needed, I want to write my drums beats from scratch.

Scott

@Nanirio said:
    I am actually not going to buy the software because there is no keyboard 🙁 I absolutely can’t use it, it would be a nightmare. I don’t want to use the premade beats, I want to invent something that will fit each riff. Your fills are cool but they don’t know each and everyone’s track, and they cannot guess what each of us want. I know you’ve done a big job by gathering all those beats and fills, and fair play to you, but that’s not the way I want it, the keyboard is 200% needed, I want to write my drums beats from scratch.  

Why don’t you buy a MIDI keyboard and make your own beats then? Or use a DAW with a MIDI editor and use their pencil tool and draw notes in by hand?

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: Raynaldo Martine
    Alan Geer
    Participant

So this thread is from a year ago and I am also frustrated that some basic keyboard shortcuts aren’t available. Such a cool program, not cheap, want to invest more but perplexed that this has not been addressed. How about Ctl+C, Ctl+v, Ctl+x at least??

Evolution8
    Participant

4 years later… still no solution? Logic allows me  for example select the next plug in setting. In other words, it can be done. Other 3rd party managed to interface they key command structure with a DAW like Logic.

Henrik
    Participant

We have implemented this in Superior Drummer 3 and will add this to future products. Unfortunately, we can’t currently add this to existing products like EZdrummer 2 or EZkeys since they are built on an older platform for VST.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Evolution8
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply, Henrik!

Shortcuts are stand alone only. Not when used inside Logic.

Question: Is there a shortcut for ‘Select next Preset/Setting’? When going through the different kits it’s a bit cumbersome to click through two levels of folder hierarchy. On a keyboard you can quickly step through different settings. Here you need to put the sticks aside, grab the mouse and click your way through the folder structure.

Henrik
    Participant

Are you using EZdrummer 2 and playing on e-drums?

Toontrack

Evolution8
    Participant

I’m using SD3 inside Logic, playing on a Roland TD-50. A shortcut that works in the standalone version doesn’t work. Should it? Maybe it’s a shortcut conflict between a pre assigned shortcut in Logic and the same short cut in SD3?

Henrik
    Participant

A shortcut that works in the standalone version doesn’t work.

Make sure that keyboard shortcuts are enabled when using a DAW in Superior Drummer 3!

• In Settings/General, check Enable Keyboard Shortcuts in other hosts than the standalone (DAWs)

Toontrack

• This post was modified 5 years ago by Henrik.
    Evolution8
    Participant

Great, thanks, I’ll try it.

wolfereeno
    Participant

Hi, is there a shortcut for moving between patches?

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

am gonna have to reopen this.    Before I decide If i am to buy or not,  is there a short cut in plug-in mode in s3 for grit to triplets mode? because this was the main frustration with pro tools always had to cliuck on the menu option to change it.. very cumbersome.

having all possible tools to make the workflow as natural mon the go as possible is essential when somehow trying to replicate a real player which is almost impossible to do in an efficient way on a daw.

a sort of key stroke short-cut based laydown of thits mode (i foget what it was called in pro tools) is also key.

if not possible in plug-in mode, well thats just unfortunate because have to lay down guitars and drums on the fly in a daw.

(this should be sufficient proof as to why i hate the lack of centralization to all things in general.  lol.)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.