SD3 How to create gate effect ??

Studio Corner
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Henrik
    Participant

It depends on exactly what you want to achieve. For the regular gate effect (drop volume when the snare volume drops down to a certain level) – use a gate in the mixer.
    If you only want the stacked snare to have a gate, make sure that stack has its own mic channel in the mixer.

A similar effect can also be achieved by using the release setting in the Envelope and Offset property box. There the volume can be decreased after a certain amount of time, instead of a certain level.
    In this case you can either select the entire snare, or only the stack, depending on what you want the envelope to affect.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

lostlure
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to create that 80’s gate sound so I would assume I would apply this to the Ambiance channel or both ? Also on some of the kit presets I try and apply a stack on the snare and I cant hear it when playing.. Is it just not routed ? If so how would I go about routing it ?

Thanks for your help.

Henrik
    Participant

@lostlure said:
    Thanks for the reply, I am trying to create that 80’s gate sound so I would assume I would apply this to the Ambiance channel or both ?

The basics of that effect is to apply a reverb, and add a gate after that – so when reverb of the snare falls below a certain volume the gate should silence it completely. The effect is simply called gated reverb.

Try it with one of the clean kits – Yamaha Default for example:
    – on the Snare bus – add a plate reverb, and choose preset Rich Plate (top right corner of the reverb popup). Set the MIx control (dry/wet) to 40%
    – on the snare bus, after the reverb, add a Frequency Gate effect. Change the Threshold to about -35 dB.

Now you should have the basics of a gated reverb effect (made popular by Phil Collins amongst others in the 80’s).

Also on some of the kit presets I try and apply a stack on the snare and I can’t hear it when playing.. Is it just not routed ? If so how would I go about routing it ?

First check that you are playing the stacked instrument! In the drums tab, check that the stacked instrument is playing by looking at it (it should have an animation when it plays), or open the articulations drop down list to check that it’s playing. If that’s the case – select the stack and increase its level in the Level box.

Further – check the mixer if you get any volume in the stacked instrument’s microphone channel. In Superior Drummer 3, we call those channels “User Mic” Channels (the user has added an instrument, which added a mic channel in the mixer).

To get a better grip of the routing of instruments and their microphones – I suggest that you take a look in the manual, to see how the basics if works!

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

lostlure
    Participant

Thanks for the Tips and help !!!!!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.