Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

question about presets in the new ez2

EZmix Pre-sales
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Rogjul
    Participant

And I also want t to know , will the producer add on pack prices go up from what they are now?

Rogue

To answer the first question, ALL the presets included in EZmix1 are included in EZmix2. This is both because this is necessary for backwards compatibility, and because they form a useful set to start using the program, without additions. On top of that there are many new presets, primarily aimed at covering the effects that are specific to EZmix2 (Amp simulators to name just the obvious ones) and other types that we felt were a nice addition regardless.

there are no plans that I know of in term of adjusting the price of existing EZmix packs i.e packs released prior to the start of 2012 in the (near) future, but I am not in the know for sure. Future packs price point will depend on what we intend to include, and may therefore not be offered at the same price point. Again though, I am not in the know in respect to EZmix 2 packs price structure.

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

chrisharbin
    Participant

Just for peoples reference the “presets” that are new coincide mostly with the new stuff. Like the amp sims, rotory, trem, etc.

There are some good new presets for things like drums, they are mostly FX type things though (like broken speaker)

I wish that I knew more about the preset packs. It’s really hard to spend 29 bucks a pop and not really knowing what you’ll get. I don’t want any more “tom” settings, don’t need reverb or delays and have little interest in vocals so I don’t want to plop on a set and get a bunch of that stuff.

win7x64/i7 860/msi mobo/Reaper x64/8GB ram/profire 610/oxygen 61

Kip Count
    Participant

ORIGINAL: chrisharbin
    I wish that I knew more about the preset packs. It’s really hard to spend 29 bucks a pop and not really knowing what you’ll get. I don’t want any more “tom” settings, don’t need reverb or delays and have little interest in vocals so I don’t want to plop on a set and get a bunch of that stuff.

Agreed.  I’ll probably never drop any money on preset packs because I know very little about what’s covered in them besides a labeled Genre (take this one with a grain of salt), and the sound samples (which are also very general like… listen to something that sounds well recorded, but boring, then EZmix kicks in and it sounds nicer, better, fuller, more reverb’d, etc). 

Mac Mini M1 | Studio One 6 | PreSonus 68c | EZD3

Martin

Chris and Skiltrip,

Thanks for your feedback.

What would you consider be the most important thing to know about an EZmix pack before purchasing? Complete list of presets? More audio demos? Let me know!

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

Kip Count
    Participant

Very good questions. And I can see how it’s tough to come up with a good way to explain better what’s “in the box”. A complete list of preset names and categories would be the most helpful I suppose. Now, I fully understand that a preset name doesn’t really tell the whole story about what a particular preset is going to do to any given audio in your session, but it does give you an idea of the ballpark it’s intended for.

Audio samples with these presets, I find, sort of, random, and not THAT helpful. I mean, it’s all about the source. And most of the samples I’ve heard so far, it just sounds like the original audio is quieter, drier, and has less stereo separation then it’s affected/effected counterpart. And they are all variations on the theme.

It’s just really hard to imagine what you’re getting in one pack that you aren’t getting in another. But I think the easiest thing for Toontrack to do is create listings of categories and preset names. It’ll probably be the most thorough overview of each pack.

It’s impossible to do a comprehensive set of audio samples for each pack. You’d have hundreds of audio samples to listen to (and for you guys to create). No fun for either of us.

My vote is for a complete list of presets. Easiest to implement, and the most comprehensive option in my opinion.

Scott

Instead of listing the name of every preset, how about a list and breakdown of the ‘intended instrument’. For example, Such and such EZmix pack has 10 bass presets, 15 drum preset (5 kick, 5 snare, 3 hi hat, and 2 drum bus), 8 keyboard presets, 15 vocal presets, etc.

I mean, some of the preset names are esoteric at best and some/a lot are totally indecipherable of what the intended sound or effect is. The Electronic EZmix pack is loaded with preset names like ‘Express’, ‘Snap’, ‘Miami’, and ‘Thin to win’. Nobody’s gonna know what they are for by reading the preset name. But, if I said that those 4 were Kick drum presets, I think it would be more informative.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

chrisharbin
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Martin
    What would you consider be the most important thing to know about an EZmix pack before purchasing? Complete list of presets? More audio demos? Let me know!

Complete list of presets for me.

chrisharbin
    Participant

ORIGINAL: skiltrip

ORIGINAL: Martin

Chris and Skiltrip,

Thanks for your feedback.

Very good questions. And I can see how it’s tough to come up with a good way to explain better what’s “in the box”. A complete list of preset names and categories would be the most helpful I suppose. Now, I fully understand that a preset name doesn’t really tell the whole story about what a particular preset is going to do to any given audio in your session, but it does give you an idea of the ballpark it’s intended for.

Audio samples with these presets, I find, sort of, random, and not THAT helpful. I mean, it’s all about the source. And most of the samples I’ve heard so far, it just sounds like the original audio is quieter, drier, and has less stereo separation then it’s affected/effected counterpart. And they are all variations on the theme.

It’s just really hard to imagine what you’re getting in one pack that you aren’t getting in another. But I think the easiest thing for Toontrack to do is create listings of categories and preset names. It’ll probably be the most thorough overview of each pack.

It’s impossible to do a comprehensive set of audio samples for each pack. You’d have hundreds of audio samples to listen to (and for you guys to create). No fun for either of us.

My vote is for a complete list of presets. Easiest to implement, and the most comprehensive option in my opinion.

btw, did you get my pm? I thought that guy at least gave a taste of the CA options.

chrisharbin
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Scott
    Instead of listing the name of every preset, how about a list and breakdown of the ‘intended instrument’. For example, Such and such EZmix pack has 10 bass presets, 15 drum preset (5 kick, 5 snare, 3 hi hat, and 2 drum bus), 8 keyboard presets, 15 vocal presets, etc.

I mean, some of the preset names are esoteric at best and some/a lot are totally indecipherable of what the intended sound or effect is. The Electronic EZmix pack is loaded with preset names like ‘Express’, ‘Snap’, ‘Miami’, and ‘Thin to win’. Nobody’s gonna know what they are for by reading the preset name. But, if I said that those 4 were Kick drum presets, I think it would be more informative.

I think for me I’m looking for real-world application. I think I already said this but it’s more useful to have “snare/kick/deep bass/guitar buss/etc than allot of the motion/verby/echoy things. Those things are harder to control imho thus not as “ez” as “tight snare” for example. Hope I’m not completely missing your point.

EZ-Hasse
    Participant

Hi! Just bought EZ-MIX 2 and the guitar amps are really good, but, why are there so few presets with delay/reverb? I understand I can use several instances of EZM2 and combine them but then we are leaving the EZ moment and things become tricky and time-consuming as it was before I bought EZM2. Am I missing something?

Best rgds
    Hans

Kip Count
    Participant

I have to disagree. Using 2 or 3 instance of EZmix is still easier than using 5-10 separate plugins to achieve the same thing. I think the chaining of instances is where the tweakability comes into EZmix. That’s where you’re able to really use it to sculpt, despite the fact that each instance only has 2 knobs, and an In and Out knob.

That said, I’m sure that future EZmix 2 packs are going to be freaking amazing, and will probably give you a ton more guitar amp presets. But currently I’m quite impressed with the number of presets that come bundled with EZmix 2.

Scott

ORIGINAL: chrisharbin
    I think for me I’m looking for real-world application. I think I already said this but it’s more useful to have “snare/kick/deep bass/guitar buss/etc than allot of the motion/verby/echoy things. Those things are harder to control imho thus not as “ez” as “tight snare” for example. Hope I’m not completely missing your point.

My point was that the preset names may be so ‘artsy’ in nature that very little value could be culled from providing a list of preset names.

My suggestion would be to provide a list of intended instrument used for each preset instead. Each preset created was tagged with an intended use. Presets can be filtered by it. Personally, knowing how many amp, bass, drums, keys, orchestra, etc. presets came in a preset pack would be more useful than a list like:

Blue
    Tight
    Miami
    Express
    Etc…

Those names mean nothing of value to me in terms of whether or not a specific preset pack has anything I want to use.

Perhaps Toontrack could sell instrument specific preset packs as well as genre specific packs? A ‘Vocal’ pack or ‘drum’ pack?

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

EZ-Hasse
    Participant

and…I would also like to use the EZM2 as a standalone alternative to Pod Farm, Amplitube or Guitar Rig. Without delay/reverb it’s not so EZ any more to get a nice sound to able to jam along with songs.

Just a few thoughts from someone who likes to live the EZ way.

Kip Count
    Participant

Why can’t you do that? The presets with reverb, usually allow you to dial it all the way down, and presets without reverb, you can add your own via another instance of EZmix, or any other reverb plugin. Currently, when I’m working on electric guitars, I’m always mixing and matching between Studio Devil, Ampire XT, EZmix 2, and GTR3. They all compliment each other in one way or another. And most of them could stand on their own if needed (including EZmix).

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.