Quantizing midi input to EZ Drummer 3 for custom pattern creation

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shootie
    Participant

Record into Tap2Find instead of the Song Track. Or use a midi input filter in your DAW.

EZD3 Tutorials | EZK2 Tutorials | Toontrack themed FB Group | Toontrack themed Discord Group

Christopher Rose
    Participant

Hey Shootie! I’ve already found your videos on youtube as I searched for an answer to this question. Great videos and thank you for doing such a great job teaching EZ Drummer.

I did not realize the power and flexibility of the Tap2Find. I didn’t know you could record into it. I had only used it to drag existing MIDI into so I could find similar patterns.

I’ve found a couple problems with this method however.

1. The resolution setting in the Tap2Find affects items that have already been recorded. So, if I lay down a HH part at 1/16th res and then later switch to 1/4 res to put a snare or something then the HH also shifts to 1/4 while I’m adding the snare.
    2. It seems that I cannot create parts longer than 2 measures in the Tap2Find.
    3. Once I have a pattern in Tap2Find then I don’t see how to drag it onto the timeline for the song.
    4. I want to do all MIDI pattern editing in EZD and not my DAW (Reaper) because EZD has some nice editing features for midi drums. Within reaper I can quantize the midi that is recorded in reaper. But if I record in parallel in EZD to get the midi into the song editor timeline, reaper does not quantize that midi going to EZD. So I can still end up with beats off time in the EZD song timeline.

The problem I have could easily be that I grew up with old school drum machines like the Yamaha RX8 and still have that mental model. I’m used to creating a pattern and then building the song out of those patterns. I’m a newb in EZD but it basically works the same way as the old-school drum machines. So, unless I’m really misunderstanding something then my mental model is not too far off.

Shootie
    Participant

Great to hear! Thanks for saying.

“The resolution setting in the Tap2Find affects items that have already been recorded. So, if I lay down a HH part at 1/16th res and then later switch to 1/4 res to put a snare or something then the HH also shifts to 1/4 while I’m adding the snare.”

Yeah. You can shift it back though.

After you record in Tap2Find, select Search. Your beat is available on the grooves tab just below the tap2find button.

Yes, there’s limitations, that is the only way to directly record while quantizing in EZ though. Case closed.

You can always just record into EZ’s Song Track and quantize after recording by right clicking on your Groove, or send it to the Grid Editor and Quantize by individual instrument with the Timing Button/Menu.

If you’re on Reaper with a PC. Input Quantize and record into Reaper, then Control+Alt Click+Drag the recorded midi file back into EZ. Not on Mac though.

If you are new and you’re having trouble searching for beats to the point you think any of this is faster, I recommend learning the software. It’s blazing fast after you get some experience with it. The last thing I do is get behind my ekit if I’m looking to work fast. Plus quantized beats over pro human performance… it’s tough to compare the final product.

I hope this helps you evaluate your options.

EZD3 Tutorials | EZK2 Tutorials | Toontrack themed FB Group | Toontrack themed Discord Group

Christopher Rose
    Participant

If you’re on Reaper with a PC. Input Quantize and record into Reaper, then Control+Alt Click+Drag the recorded midi file back into EZ. Not on Mac though.

That may the technique that I’ll adopt. Thank you.

Shootie
    Participant

You got it!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.