Quantizing Flams question

Studio Corner
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Andrew Payne
    Participant

My answer is a drummers answer and a flam is normally played with the grace note (quieter) before the beat so the louder note is on the beat. And same approach whether a right or left flam. Quantizing is up to you (as most drummers won’t quantize – in order to keep human feel and groove) but normally you would quantize the main hit of the flam to be on the beat.

Dell Precision 7730, i7 6 Core 2.6 GHz, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 3 x 2TB SSD, Cubase Pro 13, SD3 plus a variety of SDX's and EZX's, Orchestral Percussion, EZBASS, RME BabyFace Pro FS and KRK V4 monitors. Modified Yamaha DTX900 triggering SD3.

Thanked by: jlstudio1
    jlstudio1
    Participant

My answer is a drummers answer and a flam is normally played with the grace note (quieter) before the beat so the louder note is on the beat. And same approach whether a right or left flam. Quantizing is up to you (as most drummers won’t quantize – in order to keep human feel and groove) but normally you would quantize the main hit of the flam to be on the beat.

Thanks for this info. It also led me to realize, on my cheap kit, my first hit’s velocity was registering too high (equal) in many cases. I can pull that down a bit while tightening up the flam – way more natural.

• This post was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by jlstudio1.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.