One day only: 17 classic EKX expansions at up to 40% off!*

PM16 trigger to midi problem

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • PFozz
    Participant

Hi Air-V,

The PM-16 has been designed to be used with rubber pads and microphones.
    It’s still an excellent option for studio when you want to “midify” mic’ed acoustic drums.

As you probably know, a “mesh head” trigger usually can’t produce a signal that is as strong as the one produced by a rubber pad and you’re right about the “MIC” position (this is the one to use).

Unfortunately, if the input your trigger is connected to is set to “MIC” / Level=Max, there’s no easy solution to make the all thing work “naturally”.
    Though, you may also try various MIN VELOCITY and THRESHOLD values to get better results.

You may also re-design your trigger, but this is obviously not a good idea.
    Some years ago, my “mesh head” triggers were specifically designed to work with my PM-16 and later, I totally rebuilt them so they better match my TD-8.

In any case, the PM-16 is still an excellent secondary module and it’s worth the 50€ you paid to get one. I’ll personnally never sell mine 😉
    I still use my PM-16 for extra mono cymbals and exotic (mono) triggers but I must admit I don’t use it anymore for my BD, SD or Toms…

Best regards.

www.eareckon.com

mikentosh
    Participant

What a cool site! I think I was here once years ago. Seeing the PM-16 post reminded me that I have a PM-16, a couple of Roland pads (with triggers in the 3 rimsa+pad) and s Roland MT-32 sound generator….A friend gave them to me in the early ’90’s….wow, and I’m thinking I have no idea how to use the PM-16 anymore! I kinda remember having to set some channels and banks or something….Man, Its been a long, long time since I last used them….

I’ve been wanting to put together an e-drum set for a long time now….maybe I’ll take my pads+interface and start a project…I already have an SR-16. I could start off with just a bass, snare, HH, and a cymble maybe…?

Gotta start rounding-up some parts!

-mike

PFozz
    Participant

Thank you mikentosh for the kind words and welcome to this forum !

Best regards,
    PFozz

www.eareckon.com

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.