Monster MIDI Pack

Other Pre-sales
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scott

MIDI files aren’t audio files and the terms ’16 bit’ or ’24 bit’ don’t apply. The Monster MIDI packs contain no audio files whatsoever.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

notstewart
    Participant

Thanks Scott; you can tell that I don’t know much about midi.
    I’m still kind of confused though, I thought I read in one of the Music City SDX threads, that one of the differences between Music City and Nashville EZD is that MC was 24 bit and Nashville 16??

Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, SD 3, Tascam UH7000

notstewart
    Participant

Actually I found it, it’s the “music city SDX versus Nashville EZX” thread. One of the posters mentions 24 bit, and this was part of your reply:
    “…The SDX has more kit pieces, albeit only a few in the MC USA SDX case, as well as more mic channels and more articulations per kit piece, 24-bit, etc….”

bvaughn
    Participant

There are two parts to this. Midi is the computer language that the drum loops were recorded in. They trigger the actual drum samples in the program. They can be changed, re-arranged, slowed down, made faster, … the sky is the limit.

The actual sounds are more live wav files which are triggered from the program (and are stored on your hard drive). Those recordings are what I believe are meant by the 24 bit vs. 16 bit comment. So, the Music City samples have greater clarity.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
    Brandon

notstewart
    Participant

Thanks bvaughn!
    That makes sense to me.
    But Scott says that the monster packs contain no audio files at all, weren’t they recorded similar to the other packs?

John

The Monster MIDI Packs are just MIDI files recorded to expand your Toontrack MIDI files library, i.e. they are not tied to a specific Toontrack expansion.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Juicy
    Participant

Yeah your kinda a little bit confused here sorry to say

The midi packs are made from a drummer playing an ekit midi outs ,this is how all the midi packs are done,they end up as just midi notes,on and off where and when but Played/Recorded live.
    In these “Midi” packs there is no 16 bit 24 bit Audio resolution* as that has Only to do with the Samples that play back via the midi info.

Please try to understand that,cause it will never change.

*there is resolution with midi but it only to do with how many clicks per note ie timing only.

Scott

Think of this as an old time player piano.

The piano itself actually plays the sounds that you hear. The cartridge roll that you put in the player piano contains information that tells the player piano what notes to play, when to play them, and how long to play them. In that analogy, MIDI is like the cartridge roll of a player piano and EZdrummer/S2 (or any virtual instrument) is the piano. This is what makes virtual instruments and MIDI so powerful. You can create your part with MIDI and change it later. I’ve created a virtual violin part before and then, later, changed it to a cello. The MIDI and the playback sounds aren’t tied to one another. You can play a MIDI grand piano sound and then change it to a funky tack upright after. Impossible to do with audio without recording the part again. With MIDI, it’s easy.

MIDI loops are different than audio loops. With MIDI (and you host sequencer) you have the ability to change anything and everything about that MIDI loop. In regards to MIDI drums, you can turn a snare hit into a cymbal hit, you can totally the kick drum pattern, you can copy the hi hat pattern from inside one MIDI loop and use it inside another MIDI loop. With audio loops, you are limited to what you can do with it. You can change the tempo by time stretching but you can’t change what that audio loop is doing in terms of what the kit pieces are doing. You can do some creative chopping of an audio loop (stuttering effects, etc.) but what is there is there.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

notstewart
    Participant

Thanks Scott!
    The cartridge roll example is a good one!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.