Modern rock wall-of-guitars track with Metal Foundry.

User demos
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Scott
    Participant

Very nice. I really think that tune could do well in the commercial scene as well.
    Very nice mix, awesome guitar tones, and great sounding drums.
    The vocals sound really full and well rounded to boot.
    Great job, Sir.
    I shall take a second listen later this evening.
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

Scott

-Mac Studio (2023)–  Apple M2 Max
    -macOS Ventura Version 13.6
    -Logic Pro 10.7.9 
    -64 GB Ram 
    -Universal Audio Apollo 8 (UAD2 DUO) – max sample rate supported: 192
    -typical buffer /  typical sample rate:  128 / 44.1
    -External drives:
    *SanDisk  2TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C Portable SSD  
    *Glyph 3TB HD w/  USB-C/3.0/2.0 Compatibility
    *OWC 2TB Aura P12 Pro NVME M.2 SSD housed in OWC Express 4-slot 4M2 M.2 NVME Thunderbolt 3 ports
    -Midi Controllers:  M-Audio Keystation 88, Novation 61SL

Brad
    Participant

Phil;
    I listened to a few things of yours out on reverbNation, very tasty, unique yet with a nice commercial quality.
    Good work.

Mac Studio M1 Max, RAM 64 GB, 1TB Drive, OSX 12.x/13.x and Windows 10 (VM)
    DAW: Studio One 5/6, Pro Tools Studio
    DTX Express III (Extreme triggers), Nektar LX88
    OWC Thunderbay Mini (4 X 1TB Sata SSD), Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB M.2 SSD), Envoy Express (1TB M.2 SSD)
    Presonus Quantum, Faderport & Faderport 8
    Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128, BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
    2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

Dubnick
    Participant

Thanks you guys – appreciate the kind words!

Cutrush
    Participant

Must admit, this is not really my style (it was Metal Foundry in the title that grabbed my attention)
    but I have to say…
    DAMN that sounds good!!! You really know your stuff.
    I am new to home recording so a can’t produce very well yet, but I know what sounds good – and this just blows me away.
    Well done.

Jesper Borsch
    Participant

Wow dude..
    Thats realy a nice mix..
    lov the kick.. think i need to go and get me the M F =)

Dubnick
    Participant

Hadn’t checked back here in a bit – thanks for the additional kind words guys! I love the Metal Foundry set even though I don’t really do metal. I try the other ones a lot and keep coming back to the Metal Foundry stuff.

Jesper Borsch
    Participant

Well..
    Yesterday since my saffire Le died on me.. i bought me the mbox mini 3.
    nice interface but i cant get why Protools 8 is so slow to start lol..
    how ever.. ur mix conviced me so i will verry soon get the Metal foundry thats for sure i just love the way that kick you have sounds..

Jesper Borsch
    Participant

And now… today i thx to your tune… bought myself the Metal Foundry SDX
    =)

pagan1n1
    Participant

This sounds great! Listened to your other tracks too and they are killer.  If you don’t mind me asking, what mic are you using on the vocals? They sound excellent.
    Best,
    Rich

mix2much
    Participant

Nice work! What snare was that in MF? Did you tune it down? Most of them are pretty high pitched but I like where the one you used is sitting tone wise.

Dubnick
    Participant

Thanks for the continued positive feedback guys. I hadn’t checked the forum in a while so sorry for the delayed response. The vocal mic is just a Shure KSM27 (don’t think they make it any more, but I think it’s replacement specs out better) going through a Eureka pre. Wish it was something more impressive, but it’s not. I believe the snare is the Vistalite. Didn’t tune it down, but in my experience, finding a sweet spot in the slow end of the snare and bringing it up significantly can fatten up most higher tuned snares (with some exceptions. Usually boosting somewhere between 150-200 and pulling a little narrowly in the 200-300 to combat any ugliness the boost brings out.

Whitten
    Participant

Very professional.
    Drums a tiny bit quiet? Although better that than the too loud drums many people go with.
    Snare could be brighter?

Dubnick
    Participant

Thanks sir! I do tend to shy away from emphasizing the upper end of the snare – I have to push myself to not shy away from adding a bit more top end there. I’m sure the drums could be louder, but to be honest, when it comes to my own stuff I have such OCD, that once I’m ok with a mix, I have a hard time even listening to it again, out of fear I will want to change everything – hahahha. Oddly, other peoples stuff that I mix I find it way easier to maintain perspective, but I guess that makes sense. Anyhow, I’ll listen critically to the level of the drums next time I dare listen back. Thanks for the listen and the input!

Jim Rieder
    Participant

Nice track. As a mastering engineer I think the mix could be touched up a little. Bring up VOX tracks a little (compressor), drum kit hotter and drop back the guitars a taste. A little EQ and brick wall and its there. Nicely done.

Peace-
    Audios

Way too many watts

Whitten
    Participant

On the snare eq, so much of this is personal taste.
    On listening back to mixes.
    What a lot of the pros do, which I’ve found to be a great solution, is to make more than one master mix.
    I absolutely hate going back to things, so this approach has saved me a lot of heartache over the years.
    Method:
    Make your absolutely best mix. Print it.
    Then raise your lead vocal a tad more than you think it needs. Print it (as ‘vocal up’ mix).
    Go back to the original mix. Lower drums a little. Print it. Raise drums a little. Print that.
    You can do this for a few usual scenarios and end up with about half a dozen master mixes, with your original one earmarked as the final master.
    But having taken a few days off, it saves you from starting all over again if you suddenly realise the master mix would have been perfect with just a little more vocal. Etc…..

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.