Maybe (you don't know)

User demos
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Henrik
    Participant

Cool song, I got some punk vibes there 🙂 Maybe add some backing vocals on the last chorus lines to fatten it up a bit? I’m more of pop/rock dude so that might “de-punk” the vibe though!

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

rallyboy101
    Participant

Thanks for listening Henrik.

I actually done backing vox for the last chorus lines, but took them out as i wanted to try personalize the song again, i.e. with single vocal up front.

Thanks again.

Mark Grant
    Participant

Wow! This sounds really good. The drums sound great! I especially like the snare, it’s got a nice space to it. Guitar and Bass sound really nice too. Cool bass fill at 2:58. Just enough to add something interesting without overdoing it. What did you use for the guitars?

I think you vocals are fine actually they fit the song very nicely.  They are nice and full and it sounds like you sing this without much effort (in a good way). The verse vocal melody is really good. What is your vocal processing chain? If you don’t mind me asking?

Nice job on the whole track. You even found a a spot for some cowbell, sweet.  It’s a really good song.  The organ intro is a nice contrast to the rest of the song.

www.zeroempire.net

Thanked by: rallyboy101
    rallyboy101
    Participant

Thanks for listening and comments ZeroEmpire.

I used the pop/rock expansion, which gives two mics on the snare. So i blended them, and bussed them to a channel, EQ’d and compressed with 1176. Probably the sound you like is a bit of spring from the bottom of the snare mic and the character of the 1176, it gives a bit of Snap.

Guitars i used Line 6 pod box.

Bass i used two channels, on as a DI, and the other through Ampeg SVT plug in. Again bussed together etc etc like snare.

Bass at 2.58 was spur of the moment lol………….bass players don’t like being idle!

From memory my vocal chain is:

De’esser

Cambridge EQ

LA20 compressor

1176 compressor…… (yes i use two compressors! i wanted vocals right in your face)

EMT140 plate Reverb.

I also have a send going to a room reverb with a totally different time on it, this makes the vocal sound bigger.

Yeah there’s cowbell 8) and wind chimes to give a bit of sparkle entering the Choruses.

There’s also a reversed lead guitar playing from 3.17ish to fatten it up…..and i used a bit of automation on it /volume and panning.

Hope that might give you some idea!

Here’s another i done recently you might like where i’ve used similar plugs/techniques.

• This post was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by rallyboy101.
    Mark Grant
    Participant

Yea that tells me a lot. Thanks for sharing. Again nice job on both tracks

www.zeroempire.net

rallyboy101
    Participant

here’s a remix I’ve done, and I’ve used/tried a bit of parallel compression on parts of the drum kit, amongst a host of other things that I can’t remember.

Is it beginning to sound a bit over the top?! I can’t make my mind up.

Mark Grant
    Participant

Is the panning on the guitars a little different in the beginning? I think both versions sound good. It’s just a good song. Really like the vocals and the drums sound really good in both mixes Not to over the top for me.

www.zeroempire.net

rallyboy101
    Participant

Thanks ZE.

the first guitar is just meant to be a little sort of taster-/effect, then the main guitar comes in. If I have two playing the same parts I usually pan different to give width and thicken it a bit.

yeah I’m happy with drums, particularly the snare. One thing I’ve noticed is how different the same snare can sound in amongst the different parts of the song, where different parts etc are getting played, so EQ is changing etc.

Have you tried copying your vocal track, compressing each vocal track, and putting a short reverb on one and a long reverb on the other yet?

Mark Grant
    Participant

Thanks ZE.

One thing I’ve noticed is how different the same snare can sound in amongst the different parts of the song, where different parts etc are getting played, so EQ is changing etc.

Have you tried copying your vocal track, compressing each vocal track, and putting a short reverb on one and a long reverb on the other yet?

I’ve done a little of that changing EQ for different song parts.  Sometimes one setting just doesn’t work for the whole song.

No, I haven’t tired that yet as I haven’t done many vocals.  I’m am working on some new songs with vocals so I will definitely give that technique a try.  Thanks for the tip. I think I need to get a decent Tube mic-preamp for vocals as well.

www.zeroempire.net

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.