Many questions about EZ Drummer 2 – confused!

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

Funny.
    In a long generally positive EZdrummer2 thread on another forum, one complaint that one new user made was the included midi was too complex and flashy.
    In the end, the core EZdrummer2 library is aimed at mainstream pop/rock/songwriting styles, not fusion like Colaiuta, Bozzio and Weckl.

Jason Hood
    Participant

Check out Platinum Samples site for midi. “Real Jazz”, “Real Blues”, and the Steve Ferrone, and Stanton Moore artist packs might be what your looking for.
    Toontrack have “Blues” and “Jazz” midi available as well, just read the descriptions carefully as some are the same as included in EZX expansions ( i.e.: “Blues” is unique midi, whilst “The Blues EZX” is the same as the one included with the expansion of the same name). Their are audio examples of the midi, but they can’t really cover all that the pack contains.
    BRUSHES are in short supply, Roots, Nashville, Jazz midi and Jazz EZX (not available as standalone) are the only ones I’m aware of. But are they of any use? Brush technique relies a lot on interpretation of the music, and pretty hard to package up for universal use.

Henrik
    Participant

You can check out all MIDI from Toontrack in EZdrummer 2 by clicking “Show Web Shop MIDI” button in the search tab. This will give you previews of the MIDI that’s available to purchase in the web shop. If you find a MIDI groove that you like, click the blue button at the left side of the file and it will tell you from what MIDI pack the MIDI file comes from.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Whitten said:
    the core EZdrummer2 library is aimed at mainstream pop/rock/songwriting styles, not fusion like Colaiuta, Bozzio and Weckl.

There ya go. Problem is how is anyone supposed to know that when they do not offer any product demos to find out. All the YouTube demos and promo literature I could find on EZD2 “suggested” that they used top name drummers for their midi grooves and that it would be useful for all styles of music. The program and samples are decent, but unfortunately it stops there for me.

BUT what about all my other concerns? How do I get support for that stuff when there are no support forums here? The whole download and install process was VERY confusing and has left me wondering if my application is going to work correctly and is even authorized? What is “authorized” anyway? Also what about the whole download of EZD and no link at all to EZD2 at first? And what about the three choices at install, but it only allows you to choose one and then you are stuck with that choice? Way too many inconsistencies and confusion with this application. If I had the option, I would return this product and get my money back in a heartbeat, but because they offer no demo and it is a download purchase they got you once you have given them your $$$.

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Hoody said:

Check out Platinum Samples site for midi. “Real Jazz”, “Real Blues”, and the Steve Ferrone, and Stanton Moore artist packs might be what your looking for.
    Toontrack have “Blues” and “Jazz” midi available as well, just read the descriptions carefully as some are the same as included in EZX expansions ( i.e.: “Blues” is unique midi, whilst “The Blues EZX” is the same as the one included with the expansion of the same name). Their are audio examples of the midi, but they can’t really cover all that the pack contains.
    BRUSHES are in short supply, Roots, Nashville, Jazz midi and Jazz EZX (not available as standalone) are the only ones I’m aware of. But are they of any use? Brush technique relies a lot on interpretation of the music, and pretty hard to package up for universal use.

Thanks Man. I checked them out and they do appear a bit more promising. Can I assume if the product does not list EZDrummer it will not work in EZD2? Some list it and other do not.

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Henrik said:

You can check out all MIDI from Toontrack in EZdrummer 2 by clicking “Show Web Shop MIDI” button in the search tab. This will give you previews of the MIDI that’s available to purchase in the web shop. If you find a MIDI groove that you like, click the blue button at the left side of the file and it will tell you from what MIDI pack the MIDI file comes from.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know that and you can also just go to the Toontrack site and demo them there. However, my point was that the demos are very limited and you cannot really get an idea of all the midi grooves that might be in there. So far I have not heard a product there that has what I am wishing for. Not saying they are not out there, I just need to find them. I hear guys demoing these products on YouTube that are doing great stuff on electronic kits. Why can’t we have stuff like they’re doing?

AND are there additional midi grooves provided the sample expansion packs, or are they JUST samples? I can find no info about this for any of the expansion packs?

Whitten
    Participant

@Tim Zurowski said:
    How do I get support for that stuff when there are no support forums here? The whole download and install process was VERY confusing and has left me wondering if my application is going to work correctly and is even authorized? What is “authorized” anyway? Also what about the whole download of EZD and no link at all to EZD2 at first? And what about the three choices at install, but it only allows you to choose one and then you are stuck with that choice? Way too many inconsistencies and confusion with this application. If I had the option, I would return this product and get my money back in a heartbeat, but because they offer no demo and it is a download purchase they got you once you have given them your $$$.

There is a dedicated support forum for every single Toontrack product.
    I don’t know why you aren’t seeing them, likely you haven’t registered your products at the site. But Toontrack very recently changed their whole forum structure and I haven’t got my head around it yet.
    But in short, it’s user error on your part somewhere, not a dereliction of duty on Toontrack’s part.
    I don’t know Windows. I’m a Mac user.
    Every Toontrack product I’ve downloaded and installed has been straightforward. Basically one or two clicks, and I’m using the product.

Whitten
    Participant

@Tim Zurowski said:

AND are there additional midi grooves provided the sample expansion packs, or are they JUST samples? I can find no info about this for any of the expansion packs?

If you look at the ‘Feature Highlight’ part on each product page it says ‘midi library included’.
    But if that isn’t obvious…. yes, all drum sample libraries (EZD2 and Superior and all expansions) have included midi grooves.

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Whitten said:

If you look at the ‘Feature Highlight’ part on each product page it says ‘midi library included’.
    But if that isn’t obvious…. yes, all drum sample libraries (EZD2 and Superior and all expansions) have included midi grooves.

Well the page I was looking at the midi grooves and samples had nothing like that. it only had the option to click on the icon and listen. There was no info about the product. You must be at another page that I have not seen. Scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/ where I can see nothing that says the sample packs have midi grooves included. I guess my point is that there is a lot of confusing and conflicting things, especially for someone like me who is new with VSTi drum software. But thank you very much for the clarification. :)

Is there any way to audition all the midi grooves so you know what you are paying for? Or do you just put down your money and hope for the best?

Jason Hood
    Participant

@Tim Zurowski said:
    Thanks Man. I checked them out and they do appear a bit more promising. Can I assume if the product does not list EZDrummer it will not work in EZD2? Some list it and other do not.

Toontrack have a programme called EzPlayer that can transpose midi from all the major formats to Ezdrummer/Superior compatible files. I use it regularly to convert performances for a guitarist I know who uses addictive drums. All though I’m pretty sure hell make the jump to EZD2.

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Whitten said:

But in short, it’s user error on your part somewhere, not a dereliction of duty on Toontrack’s part.
    I don’t know Windows. I’m a Mac user.
    Every Toontrack product I’ve downloaded and installed has been straightforward. Basically one or two clicks, and I’m using the product.

Definitely not! I have been a PC user since the mid 80’s. I build and repair machines and have installed hundreds of apps. In my case, there was definitely a flaw in the install and registration process, which I am trying to get answers or explanations for. It was not user error on my part.

Erik Phersson

@Tim Zurowski said:

Is there any way to audition all the midi grooves so you know what you are paying for? Or do you just put down your money and hope for the best?

Again, as Henrik pointed out earlier. If you click the ‘Show Web Shop MIDI’ in the Search tab you can preview every single MIDI file that you can buy from Toontrack. Some of them comes as separate MIDI Packs, some are included in EZX libraries. All information is in there, it’s just a matter of selecting tags and preview!

Erik Phersson - Toontrack
    Head Of Development

Whitten
    Participant

@Tim Zurowski said:
    Scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/ where I can see nothing that says the sample packs have midi grooves included. I guess my point is that there is a lot of confusing and conflicting things, especially for someone like me who is new with VSTi drum software.

I followed your link.
    At the bottom of the page is a picture of each EZdrummer expansion (EZX).
    If you click on any of those pictures (EZX’s) you go to their product page, and on the product page it says ‘midi included’.

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Whitten said:

I followed your link.
    At the bottom of the page is a picture of each EZdrummer expansion (EZX).
    If you click on any of those pictures (EZX’s) you go to their product page, and on the product page it says ‘midi included’.

Doesn’t do that here. If you click on the image it just plays the MP3. However, I did notice that if you click on the wording below the image then it does take you to the product page. Regardless, I now know that it includes midi, so thanks for that.

Tim Zurowski
    Participant

@Erik said:
    Again, as Henrik pointed out earlier. If you click the ‘Show Web Shop MIDI’ in the Search tab you can preview every single MIDI file that you can buy from Toontrack. Some of them comes as separate MIDI Packs, some are included in EZX libraries. All information is in there, it’s just a matter of selecting tags and preview!

Yes, I got that, but my point was that if you don’t know that or if you do not own EZD2, they were hard to find. The only page I was originally able to find was the one I linked to, Now I know there are other ways. You can be sure if I missed it, many others will as well. I am trying to help Toontrack with these confusions. So I now know that they include midi.

Now if I can only get answers from Toontrack for all my other issues. I still have not heard a word from them and can find no way to contact them.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

No products in the cart.