Initial SD Feedback

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Henrik
    Participant

First, how do you categorize user Midi?

You can’t, as you say, add or change any tags for User MIDI. However, you can place the files in folders that can serve as “tags”. For example, if you place some MIDI files in a folder called Rock ‘n’ Roll, you can then text search for Rock ‘n’ Roll and that folder will show up, and the Family column will say Rock ‘n’ Roll. All the user MIDI files can be used with Song Creator, since the song creator does the matches based on rhythms of the MIDI files, rather than tags, etc.

Why can’t you simply add a drum while editing the number of hits/velocity for a segment?

It would be useful, however not trivial for us to implement this. One issue is that the area would be cluttered with all options given to the user, thus making it harder to understand. However, I agree that it would be useful to be able to access all tools from the Edit Play Style. I’ll add your request in our feature request list.

Multipart drums in that same segment/grid editor.  Is there any way to select the sub-component?

In the Grid Editor, press the small arrow next to the instrument in the left list. This will reveal all articulations, and you can edit their MIDI notes.

Download and install time was outrageous… Please offer a single installer…

We are aware of this, and we have it on our todo list. 

Surf – underrepresented

Noted 🙂

Why isn’t the Tap to Find extended into a matching a complete simplified beat track?

It’s designed so that you can match a part using Tap2Find, then drag any of the results (or the tapped midi itself) to the Song Creator. There you can drag down individual song parts (results from the Song Creator), or load an entire song, based on a structure.

If you by “matching a complete simplified beat track” mean; “load an entire drum track and replace all midi with other, similar sounding MIDI”, then it’s not done because we don’t have unlimited time and resources to develop products 🙂 We have to make decisions on what to implement, and everything we decide to add means that something else won’t (because of time limits) be added. We have discussed similar ideas as yours, and it is on our feature request list!

Just wanna reiterate Although it sounds like I’m kvetching so far I’m loving this product.

Thanks! Input from our users is really important for us, since they guide us into how we should design our future products/updates 🙂

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

• The post has been modified 3 times, last modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Henrik.

Thanked by: Per-Anders Edwards
    Per-Anders Edwards
    Participant

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Re. User MIDI – Thanks.  I didn’t know the folders would be used for the family pane.  That helps a lot, though I’d still love to be able to tag what’s a fill, verse, chorus etc.

Re. Adding a drum in.  I’d be totally happy if it just added a default first drum in list when beats were added, just for the extra instrument and midi note lane.

Re. Multipart drums.  Ah, cool.  How do I do that in the “Edit Play Style” tab?

Re. Tap to Find – Yeah I think sort of that.  I think we’re talking about the same thing.  In my head I envisioned it sort of being a bit like the song creator right now in that you drag in a midi section that you like that matches your “tap to find” beat to get the “family”, but rather than using prebuilt rhyme scheme/stanza/patterns it’d basically assume you would prefer to keep in the same family and then do repeated match/find and fill Tap to Find for the whole rest of the input getting the nearest possible that also matches the family you liked, or alternatively it would try to figure out the pattern from the source midi track and then just work with song creator as now just using this “custom” user pattern.  Could be a fun deep learning project (I still have to find time to play around with that stuff, got about a bazillion ideas, no follow through, like every mudlark).  Anyhow, just throwing that out there, it’s been something I’ve dreamed of having as a “virtual drummer” for yonks now, but I know how hard it is to find time and resources when you’ve got a lot on already.

Thanks again.

Henrik
    Participant

Re. Multipart drums.  Ah, cool.  How do I do that in the “Edit Play Style” tab?

Edit Play Style doesn’t have that kind of control of details. You can only increase/decrease the amount of hits, and velocity, of the entire instrument and not individual articulations. The details you can change is to right click an instrument and in Articulations menu entry select what articulation the instrument should play.

However, I’ll take a note of your request that more it would be useful to be able to work on articulations too 🙂

Thanks for the feedback!

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Thanked by: Per-Anders Edwards
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.