Funkmasters Clydes kit should have a similar snare sound to ‘funky drummer’

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Juicy
    Participant

The mixer presets on this EZx does have some serious tight ( gated ) action .

jbraner
    Participant

You can usually get rid of the ring (if you don’t like it) with some eq or a gate.

John Braner
    http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
    and all the major streaming/download sites.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Reaper 7 x64 (latest version), Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi mobo (not using wifi though), NVIDIA GEForce GT710 video card, MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface

Romanp
    Participant

Yes I think my issue with the toontrack libraries is that to try and get a genuine funk, disco, reggae etc short decay, tight drum sounds we are expected to use amplitude envelopes, gates, transient designers.
    Maybe some of my favourite records used gates to get the funky tight snare sounds. But I doubt it.
    Having a Clyde Stubblefield kit that sounds nothing like our favourite recordings of him like ‘funky drummer’ is disappointing.
    Jabos snare sounds closer.
    I haven’t bought Superior Drummer or any Toontrack stuff yet. I love the idea of being able to sound like real drums from my Roland TD3KW. I will sometimes supplement a real acoustic hihat.
    But from listening to the demos, I reckon there is still a big hole for the best most usable drum sounds for grooves that have shorter dampened snares etc.
    Custom and vintage has some dampened snares.
    I may be wrong, but I think a library with raw unprocessed but heavily and moderately dampened drums at a three different tunings is missing from the Toontrack sounds.
    Go listen to James Browns ‘funky president’ or Johnny Osbournes ‘water pumping’ or most of the famous breakbeats.
    All or mostly short punchy drums.
    Maybe I am missing some tape saturation that I can add using my reel to reel. Or maybe I can get these sounds with envelopes and gates etc.
    Go listen to Barry White and the love unlimited orchestra ‘Midnight an’
    Edwin Starr ‘Easin In’
    Cebu ‘The commodores’
    The Boss by James Brown

They all have a punchy snare with no ringing sound.
    Maybe there are some of these sounds already in the Toontrack sound library. But from my listening to all the demos, I reckon they should make a library that gets closer to the short punchy drum sounds than Custom and Vintage does.
    Like 12 different snares all dampened and heavily dampened with 2 or 3 tunings. Probably dry would be best or dry with some room mics.

myron
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Romanp

Yes I think my issue with the toontrack libraries is that to try and get a genuine funk, disco, reggae etc short decay, tight drum sounds we are expected to use amplitude envelopes, gates, transient designers.
    Maybe some of my favourite records used gates to get the funky tight snare sounds. But I doubt it.
    Having a Clyde Stubblefield kit that sounds nothing like our favourite recordings of him like ‘funky drummer’ is disappointing.
    Jabos snare sounds closer.
    I haven’t bought Superior Drummer or any Toontrack stuff yet. I love the idea of being able to sound like real drums from my Roland TD3KW. I will sometimes supplement a real acoustic hihat.
    But from listening to the demos, I reckon there is still a big hole for the best most usable drum sounds for grooves that have shorter dampened snares etc.
    Custom and vintage has some dampened snares.
    I may be wrong, but I think a library with raw unprocessed but heavily and moderately dampened drums at a three different tunings is missing from the Toontrack sounds.
    Go listen to James Browns ‘funky president’ or Johnny Osbournes ‘water pumping’ or most of the famous breakbeats.
    All or mostly short punchy drums.
    Maybe I am missing some tape saturation that I can add using my reel to reel. Or maybe I can get these sounds with envelopes and gates etc.
    Go listen to Barry White and the love unlimited orchestra ‘Midnight an’
    Edwin Starr ‘Easin In’
    Cebu ‘The commodores’
    The Boss by James Brown

They all have a punchy snare with no ringing sound.
    Maybe there are some of these sounds already in the Toontrack sound library. But from my listening to all the demos, I reckon they should make a library that gets closer to the short punchy drum sounds than Custom and Vintage does.
    Like 12 different snares all dampened and heavily dampened with 2 or 3 tunings. Probably dry would be best or dry with some room mics.

Johnny Osbournes

I have the Funkmaster EZX and I am able to get the “Funky Drummer” with little effort. For muted toms and damped snare sound you may want to listen to the Vintage Rock EZX.

M1 Mac Mini • 16GB RAM • OSX 14.2.1 • UA Quad • Logic 10.8 • Kontakt 7 • Toontrack SD3

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.