Feedback and feature Request Superior Drummer 3

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

>A feature I liked in SD2 was the ability to re[place all of the
    > toms with a matched set from another kit with one click.

There are such factory presets for some SDXs. That hasn’t changed
    in SD3. What has changed is that you can no longer save a selection
    of drums as a preset yourself. You have to save a complete preset
    and then you can choose to only load the toms from it.

>The ability to save midi maps that are made in
    > the midi properties box would be very useful as well.

Possibly. We have had other users ask for that. However, our intention
    is that most changes to the MIDI mapping should be done in the
    “MIDI in/E-drums” tab, in the settings. There you can save and recall
    the total mapping.

>The ability to save mixer only presets. Maybe we can in SD3
    > (I haven’t figured it out). Can we?

You can save a full preset and then choose to only load the mixer part.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

jtnyc
    Participant

Thanks Olof –

For people that want to actually change the assignment of an articulation (not just re-map the incoming midi) the midi properties box is the only way to do it. Presets for both makes a lot of sense to me.

Straight up mixer presets would allow for quick saving and recalling of the mixer state without unnecessarily involving other elements. The way it is now, if I love a mixer layout I have to save is as a kit. That preset populates the user kit preset list (messy) and when I want to recall it with another kit I have to remember that I didn’t save it for the kit itself, but just for the mixer element. This is really messy to me. SD3 is far to “superior” to have such a convoluted system to save mixer presets IMO. The new mixer is so flexible and the mic options are so vast, the ability to save a mixer preset is a must IMO. I hope you guys agree in the end.

Thanks –

Mario Krušelj
    Participant

You can save a full preset and then choose to only load the mixer part.  

That is too slow, unfortunately (especially when I don’t want to have that extra info saved, but JUST a part of it). Having separate mixer presets (and articulation MIDI mapping presets, as well) would be EXTREMELY welcome. SD2 did it right there.

jtnyc
    Participant

BTW, when I try to “select parts” to just load a mixer only part from another preset to the one I already have loaded, it immediately loads everything from that preset. The UI changes immediately showing the drums from the source preset that I’m trying to just extract the mixer from. Even if I then unselect the “load drums” tab, it’s too late, the drums have already been replaced. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

To be clear, I have a kit loaded that I like. I want to load a mixer from another preset. I navigate to the preset I want to get the mixer from and click on the little down arrow and click on “select parts”. At that point the select parts window opens, and the kit from this new source kit loads right away before I have a chance to make selections.

Please advise –

Thanks

Henrik
    Participant

@jeffthall said:
    BTW, when I try to “select parts” to just load a mixer only part from another preset to the one I already have loaded, it immediately loads everything from that preset. The UI changes immediately showing the drums from the source preset that I’m trying to just extract the mixer from. Even if I then unselect the “load drums” tab, it’s too late, the drums have already been replaced. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Pressing the menu entry “Select Parts…” should not load the preset. This is a bug, that will be fixed in a coming update.
    Until then – you can press alt key on your keyboard + click on the preset. This is a shortcut to get in to Select Parts without having to go through the menu, and it’s right now a workaround for the bug.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

George Bellas
    Participant

@jeffthall said:
    When I try to “select parts” to just load a mixer only part from another preset to the one I already have loaded, it immediately loads everything from that preset. The UI changes immediately showing the drums from the source preset that I’m trying to just extract the mixer from. Even if I then unselect the “load drums” tab, it’s too late, the drums have already been replaced.

To be clear, I have a kit loaded that I like. I want to load a mixer from another preset. I navigate to the preset I want to get the mixer from and click on the little down arrow and click on “select parts”. At that point the select parts window opens, and the kit from this new source kit loads right away before I have a chance to make selections.

Confirmed. I get the exact same behavior.

George Bellas
    Participant

@Henrik said:
    …you can press alt key on your keyboard + click on the preset. This is a shortcut to get in to Select Parts without having to go through the menu, and it’s right now a workaround for the bug.  

That works. Thanks Henrik.

jtnyc
    Participant

@Henrik said:

@jeffthall said:

Pressing the menu entry “Select Parts…” should not load the preset. This is a bug, that will be fixed in a coming update.
    Until then – you can press alt key on your keyboard + click on the preset. This is a shortcut to get in to Select Parts without having to go through the menu, and it’s right now a workaround for the bug.  

Thanks Henrik

jtnyc
    Participant

So this workaround works. It brings me right to the select parts tab, but It’s not loading properly for me here. I start with a kit that I created with lots of room channels, I then select the mixer only from the select parts tab from the “tight pop” preset. It loads and the mixer looks right. It’s way smaller, but it doesn’t sound tight. I checked the full tight pop preset and it’s dry and tight, but not when I add the mixer element to my kit. I can hear a large room sound. I clicked on edit visibility and it’s feeding the 2 surround room mics from my original mixer. When I load just the tight pop preset, those mics are not being fed. It’s somehow combining mixers. Very strange….

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

There is one confusing thing about what is part of the mixer preset and what
    is not. The Bleed Enable, Level and Phase controls for individual instruments
    that sit on the right hand side of the mixer are not part of the mixer state.
    Those are properties of the instruments. Maybe that explains your pronlem?

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

jtnyc
    Participant

@Olle said:
    There is one confusing thing about what is part of the mixer preset and what
    is not. The Bleed Enable, Level and Phase controls for individual instruments
    that sit on the right hand side of the mixer are not part of the mixer state.
    Those are properties of the instruments. Maybe that explains your pronlem?  

That would be a problem as those are integral parts of how a mix sounds. I mean, bleed levels have a major effect on how things sound, wether the on/off states of bleed into room mics, or all of the subtle bleed levels on the close mics. It’s all key to how things sound. I understand you are saying those aspects of the mixer are saved with the drums part, but for obvious reasons they should be a function of the mixer and saved with the mixer, otherwise there is actually no way to save and recall how a particular mixer sounds.

We really need the ability to save mixer presets (including the bleed, level and phase controls). Please consider adding full mixer and midi mapping (property box) presets.

Thanks –

CraigGardner
    Participant

Hi, new to Superior Drummer, driving from my existing (and highly customized) Roland TD30-KV.  Two suggestions for features that either i) I can’t find or ii) don’t exist.

The first would be the ability to modify and customize the graphical kit to match my kit setup.  I.e. a library of wireframe drums, cymbals and other instructments that can add or replace the setup shown.  In other words, put a cowbell in the kitr, add a Roland SPD, or add any other Add Instrument to the visual kit on the main image (versus just as tiles on the left).

Second, in the standalone software I’d like to be able to have MIDI drive program changes in my selected kit, for live performance.  That is, if our keyboard player driving Abelton Live (on a separate computer) selects a specific song (scene), it sends a MIDI command to SD3 to change to the corresponding kitm  We play a lot of covers and simply I’d like my selected kit to be preprogramed and selected for each song.   (Alternatively, SD3 as a VST, maybe my DAW could do this already?)

Interested in your thoughts, thanks!

Henrik
    Participant

The first would be the ability to modify and customize the graphical kit to match my kit setup

This has been requested before, and it’s an understandable request when you want the drums in SD3 to visually match the e-drums. It’s listed on our feature request list.

Alternatively, SD3 as a VST, maybe my DAW could do this already?

Yes, DAWs usually have this feature (t’s called VST Presets in Cubase for example). I think I checked this out in Live not to long ago, and found out Live has its own system, similar to VST Program. You save a preset for the current virtual instrument, and when you change the Live VST preset, the settings in VST are changed to whatever you saved in that preset.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Hakan Jernetz
    Participant

Hi!

New to SD3 but have been using SD2 and EZDr2 for some time.

The number of different sound libraries and library presets is increasing so I would really like to be able to tag library presets as “Favorite”.
    I want to use “User presets” for the ones that are modified and have some similar functionality for tagging my favorite “out of the box” presets.

Just som simple functionality to be able to tag/save and list/search favorite presets.

BR
    /Hackej

SticknSteel
    Participant

VST3

+1 on this, please.

VST3 now supports MIDI learn, so I’m hoping you guys can make this happen!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.