EZMix on top of SDX or EZX presets?

EZmix Pre-sales
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Scott

There really isn’t a good answer to your question.

I would say that if it sounds good using both the producer packs and EZmix then it is ‘right’ and ‘best’ for the mix.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Soundhound
    Participant

Thanks Scott, that does answer it, to a large degree? I guess what I was really asking is ezmix2 not intended to be used along with the producer presets for sd2, and it sounds like it is–if it sounds good etc.

Jason Hood
    Participant

The problem with producer presets and ezmix is compression. Cumulative compression can get out of control. However if you are only stereo out, you are probably looking at master, drum bus settings. Globally applied FX on drums is very limiting. Unless you multi out, you will be limited in what patches you can use.
    Not sure about Ezmix1 but in 2 you can lower the input gain to lay off the comp, and bring it back up with the output gain (if you don’t have control with the preset). If its too squashed you can edit SD’s comp. or bypass completely, using Ezmix compressor solely.
    Upgrade to 2, grab a sixer of expansions (vocal tools, amps, drum tools, mastering, mix tools + one producer of your choice would be an excellent foundation), build a multi out template in your DAW and go for it.

Soundhound
    Participant

Ah, ok thanks, I’ll watch out for too much compression.

As far as splitting out the drums – I’m sure there’s much to be gained there and I’m barely scratching the surface with what I’m doing, but for the most part I’m really just looking to get the best sounds I can for the writing process, which means, to me anyway, having fewer choices available rather than more, so it doesn’t get in the way of the writing.

Once a song is ready though, it would be nice to be able to make things sound better more easily, and maybe that’s really where EZmix comes in for me. At that point I can spend a bit more time, and learn to split out the drums etc.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.