EZKeys Suggestion – Chord Wheel

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Paul Bright
    Participant

Correction lol:

IV I V
    IIm VIm IIIm

Also noticed your missing the VIIo from being displayed iwthin the collor pattern at the top not widely used its still part of it.. in the case for C

Your wheel placement:

Bb F C G

Viio IV I V

C – I – Tonic/Root – Primary – Major
    Dm – IIm – Subtonic – Secondary – Minor
    Em – IIIm – Mediant – Secondary – Minor
    F – IV – Suddominant – Primary – Minor
    G – V – Dominianit – Primary – Major
    Am – VIIm – Submediant – Primary – Minor
    Bo – VIIo – Leading Tone – Secondary – Diminished
    C – VIII – Octive – Primary – Major

Paul Bright
    Participant

Aslo a good book for learning the craft of chord songwriting:

Chord Progressions for Songwriters
    By Richard J. Scott

Scott

The Chord Selector in EZKeys is not exactly a Circle of Fifths. It is based on it but has some differences (the missing diminished chord is one). Of course it is very quick and easy to make any chord you want diminished by clicking the ‘dim7’ in the row of buttons on top of the Chord Selector.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Tom
    Participant

As I usually compare EZK to BiaB, I must admit that entering chords from the wheel is easier than having to type them.

… However, once you need to move to the next chord in the track the wheel covers it so that you have to close it and open again. May I suggest that the wheel is made moveable, either by some handles or by ctrl + drag.

Scott

There isn’t a global Chord Selector. Once the chord sequence has been analyzed, each chord in the sequence has it’s own ‘Chord Selector’. To move from one chord to the next, you need to close one Chord Selector before opening the next one.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Tom
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Scott

There isn’t a global Chord Selector. Once the chord sequence has been analyzed, each chord in the sequence has it’s own ‘Chord Selector’. To move from one chord to the next, you need to close one Chord Selector before opening the next one.

And that is exactly what bothers me. I don’t see why the same couldn’t be done by dragging the wheel to the next chord. Once the movement takes place the wheel nows a new analysis is due … right?

Scott

And that is exactly what bothers me. I don’t see why the same couldn’t be done by dragging the wheel to the next chord. Once the movement takes place the wheel nows a new analysis is due … right?

The analysis is done the first time the sequence is dragged and dropped into the Song track and not when one Chord Selector is close and another is open.

I’m not sure how many key strokes you’ll save by click + drag a chord wheel rather than click to close, click to open.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Tom
    Participant

It will work smoother that way. It is not only a question of key clicks, it is also that fact that after closing the wheel you have to look once again and reorientate, now where was I …

But an alternative could be to move the wheel upwards (over the piano or browser) so that it doesn’t cover the track, but instead display the chosen chord in its center. Then it would be possible to click the next chord.

Fredofrog
    Participant

Hi Scott, can you please elaborate on exactly how to change say Am chord in to a Adim7 chord. where is exactly that  selector “clicking the ‘dim7’ in the row of buttons on top of the Chord Selector” is? When I click on the Chord wheel, this all I get. Sorry, I just bought the product and just fiddling with it.

Erik
    Participant

Hi Scott, can you please elaborate on exactly how to change say Am chord in to a Adim7 chord. where is exactly that  selector “clicking the ‘dim7’ in the row of buttons on top of the Chord Selector” is? When I click on the Chord wheel, this all I get. Sorry, I just bought the product and just fiddling with it.

Hi Fredofrog,

This thread is about the EZkeys chord wheel, which works a bit different than the EZbass one.

To give you a short answer: EZbass does not display most symbols. This may change in a future update, but for now this is how it is. Being able to specify chord colorations is definitely useful both for the user and EZbass, so it’s on our radar.

Erik Berglund — Toontrack

Fredofrog
    Participant

Thank you, Erik

silverquimera
    Participant

Yeah, I was searching for a diminished chord in EZBass as well… uggh I think is essential, how come it was not added from the start?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.