EZKeys out of tune?

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cygnus64
    Participant

Yes, it’s out of tune. I’m hoping that is fixable but I’m guessing it was sampled that way.

Note to Toontrack: The “Detune” was a really, really, really, really, bad idea. Drop some notes, have a “beep”, a time limit, ANYTHING except making your product sound bad ON PURPOSE. It’s even worse when it calls attention to an out of tune piano to begin with. It’s not bad and probably usable, but the detune thing is…wow…. not working for ya.

jgro002
    Participant

It’s definitely not perfectly in tune. I don’t know quite how to put this because I’m going to sound like I’m majorly over-reacting but…having played the cello for 13ish years (which really tunes your ears to hear minute variations in pitch), EZKeys sounds way out of tune to me – not just slightly out :S

But I may be crazy 😉

iMac 3.06 GHz 4 GB OSX 10.6.5, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Logic Pro 9.1.3, Lacie D2 Quadra

Juicy
    Participant

I guess you could generate midi and use a better piano come mix down, the shame is that it s tonal balance sounds real decent but
    tuning does seem to have issues .

Michael
    Participant

ORIGINAL: jgro002
    It’s definitely not perfectly in tune. I don’t know quite how to put this because I’m going to sound like I’m majorly over-reacting but…having played the cello for 13ish years (which really tunes your ears to hear minute variations in pitch), EZKeys sounds way out of tune to me – not just slightly out :S

Are you sure you don’t have any detune, or chorus effects added to your instrument that would cause that?

Jürgen Schwab
    Participant

The tuning of a piano is a delicate process, that’s for sure. The tempered tuning invented by Bach, as we all know, will inevitably cause some intervals to sound not perfectly in tune. Considering that I still think, that EZkeys should be better in tune, and again: I’m not talking about the detune phase of the demo version. Probably the piano was sampled with the tuning we hear. But it should be possible to tune the samples after they have been recorded. So I hope Toontrack will be working on that. After all Native Instruments “acoustic piano” offers the option to change the tuning of the sampled pianos.

Jürgen Schwab
    Participant

Listening to the SlowClassic-Example of the new EZKeys Midi-Pack, one can hear, that the tuning of EZKeys still isn’t properly fixed. Now that’s disappointing. I wouldn’t buy this instrument before it’s perfectly in tune.

Jay Coover
    Participant

EDIT: replacing my original post here as I have done some research on this and checked it with a tuner.

In short, it looks to me to be a perfectly stretch tuned piano by all measurements. Sounds great to my ears.

SD 2.3 NY vol 2/Metal Foundry/C & V/Roots 1 & 2/Music City Latin Percussion/Funkmasters/The Classic/Jazz/Pop!/#1 Hits/Electronic/Twisted/Claustrophobic EZKeys 1.1 with all the trimmings

Roger Keay
    Participant

ORIGINAL: fizbin

EDIT: replacing my original post here as I have done some research on this and checked it with a tuner.

In short, it looks to me to be a perfectly stretch tuned piano by all measurements. Sounds great to my ears.

As far as SOTP ears-wise, I agree. It sounds like every well tuned ‘stretched’ Steinway I’ve recorded. I think stretch tuning is the only way a good grand piano will sound ‘good’, as objective as that is. I’ve been using EZ-Keys for about 2 weeks straight and love the piano. Perhaps in the future they will include both an even tempered and stretched version of the tuning like the ProTools Mini-Grand.

Rodney Foster
    Participant

Ever since the EZbass the EZkeys keep going out of tune and giving me a weird effect sound when playing back in my song.

Henrik
    Participant

Ever since the EZbass the EZkeys keep going out of tune and giving me a weird effect sound when playing back in my song.

can you explain further? Is it because of the demo limits of EZkeys? Or do you feel that the tones are not tuned similar in EZbass and EZkeys?

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Oscar Stern
    Participant

I think 2 of the notes on the Dream Machine Mark MK VII Rhodes (G#1 & A1) aren’t working on my end when I click on the keys.

Oscar Stern
    Participant

2 of the keys on the Dream Machine Mark MK VII Rhodes (G#1 & A1) do not sound when I click on them

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.