EZ Drummer 2 for midi drum editing?

EZdrummer Pre-sales
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • John

Hi,

this is totally host dependent, so no straight answer. Most hosts do not allow for this and then you need to drag from your DAW to e.g. your Desktop and then Import to your Song Track. Or drag from your DAW to a User MIDI folder, accessible in the EZD2 Browser.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Stefan Elmblad
    Participant

This sucks big time. It means that there is no easy way to edit drum parts using EZD2 for those of us who prefer to build the song in our DAW.

Dealbreaker for me.

Erik Phersson

@Strange Leaf said:

This sucks big time. It means that there is no easy way to edit drum parts using EZD2 for those of us who prefer to build the song in our DAW.

Dealbreaker for me.

As John said, that depends on your DAW. What host are you using?

Erik Phersson - Toontrack
    Head Of Development

Henrik
    Participant

To be able to edit MIDI by using the built in features you have to have the MIDI inside EZdrummer 2, since it’s impossible for a plugin to edit/access the MIDI that’s placed on a hosts time line. So the easiest way is to (if your host allows it) drag it to EZdrummer 2’s time line, edit it, then drag it back.

If you can’t drag and drop MIDI from your host, there’s a trick to get MIDI from the host into EZdrummer 2.
    Remove all MIDI from the song track in EZdrummer, then press the record button (below the track) in EZdrummer.
    As soon as you start playback in your host (with MIDI on the EZdrummer 2 track), EZdrummer 2 will record the notes being played from the hosts MIDI.
    Now you have the MIDI inside EZdrummer 2. Edit it and then drag it back to your host.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Scott Pfeil
    Participant

This was the BIG Question for me… how would I edit all my drum tracks (made with EZD1) in my current in-progress songs with the new EZD2? Cool
    I even bought EZD2 and installed it in faith that there had to be a way… even thought I didn’t see this discussed/shown at all in any of the YouTube videos (I think I watched all 9 including the 3 FAQ Rikk did). Wink

My DAW is “Studio One Pro”. I tried to directly drag a single then all midi section/files to EZD2I which didn’t work.
    I was about to try the “record” method above when I found out the S1P does export midi.
    – Select all midi files on the drum track
    – Right-click on selected files.
    – Slide down and find “Instrument Parts”
    – Slide right and select “Export Parts to Midi File”
    This will place the midi file in the top level of the song file which you then drag into the “Play Window” of EZD2… works like a charm.

My confusion or trepidation was due to the fact that I work with 90% of the time and don’t have the midi skills or jargon down to grasp it but I’m learning. Wink

Stefan Elmblad
    Participant

@Erik said:

@Strange Leaf said:

Dealbreaker for me.

As John said, that depends on your DAW. What host are you using?

I am using Cubase 6.5

MARCO MARTINO
    Participant

I have the same question, using Logic X: suppose I create a cool loop in my piano roll, with particular articulation between snare and kick. Is there a chance to drag it from the track in the daw to the track in the plug in, in order to work on it with the “play edit” and so on? I can do the opposite (from EZD2 to the track in the daw) and that’s cool because i can work analytically on the grooves created in EZD2, but after that I’d like to take it back to the plug in and work my drum part there.

Thanks

Marco

John

Marco,

please see Henrik’s reply above on how to do it when you can’t drag from host timeline to the EZdrummer 2 Song Track.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

MARCO MARTINO
    Participant

Thanks a lot John.
    That’s exactly the way I am currently managing that.
    I was just wondering if there’s another way, in Logic, but I guess there is not.

Bye

Marco

dyingart
    Participant

I had the same problem and it took me a min to figure it out but its easy once you do.
    Export midi file from DAW into a folder. Note the location.

In EZdrummer go to MENU>SETTINGS>MIDI LIBRARIES

capture1

Capture-7

check the boxes and select the folder where you saved your exported midi.

Now; Click the browser tab and on the left will be you new folder with saved midi which you can now do whatever you want with.

Best

Drumahiru
    Participant

For others with Logic Pro X (using 10.6.2 on Catalina), I’ve tried both the ‘record’ and ‘export’ methods described above, with these observations and tips:

The Record method works very well.  Tips: in EZD arm Record and make sure Follow Host is enabled.  Then in LPX start playback at the start of the region you want to import into LPX and EZD will start recording it into the Song Track at the same measure it appears in LPX.  EZD seems smart about trimming the recorded region after it hears no further MIDI, so you don’t need to stop LPX playback exactly at the end of the exported Region.

The Export method did not work well:  For some reason EZD prepends blank measures at the start of the imported file (equal to whatever measure the region started on in LPX) and also at the end of the file (algorithm unknown), requiring additional editing steps in EZD.  (None of those extra measures appear to be in the exported MIDI file, so it seems to be something amiss in EZD’s import of these LPX MIDI exports.)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.