Do I Need To Install Surround Files If I Only Use Stereo?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Michael

You don’t need to… but you might want to install them. If you like roomy drum sounds (from quite possibly the best room in the world) then yes you should install them. Even if you are working in Stereo you can simply utilize the extra surround channels as additional Room mics (i.e. you do not have to use them in an 11 channel project.

Michael Sanfilipp - Toontrack
    Technical Marketing Coordinator

JC
    Participant

@Michael said:
    You don’t need to… but you might want to install them. If you like roomy drum sounds (from quite possibly the best room in the world) then yes you should install them. Even if you are working in Stereo you can simply utilize the extra surround channels as additional Room mics (i.e. you do not have to use them in an 11 channel project.  

Thanks for the reply. Let’s say I install the Surround and Surround Height portions and try them for a while. If I then decide I don’t need them, can I UN-install just those portions to reclaim disk space?

Thanks again,

—JC

Henrik
    Participant

It’s currently not possible to uninstall parts of the library. It is something we will look at for the future!

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

olliepudge
    Participant

@Michael said:

Hi Michael,

I’ve installed everything but the surround sound mics (last two installs of the library). I do prefer roomy drum sounds and I’m getting pretty good results with what I have installed so far. In your opinion, do you think it’s worth it to install the surround sound mics? I mean do you really think they make a noticeable difference in the end? I’m considering installing them to fatten up the sound even more, but I’d like to know your thoughts or anyone else’s.

Also, if I do decide to install them, I will need to buy an external hard drive just to install surround sound mics themselves. Will this work even though everything else is installed on my laptop’s hard drive? Thanks!

Josh

Lee Shapiro
    Participant

What about the last library “Additional Bleed”? I have all the other libraries installed and I can definitely make use of the additional room mics, I can really hear the difference adding them into a stereo mix. But how noticeable would the Additional Bleed library be? How essential is it for the overall sound?
    I realize that the goal in recording these drums was for 100% accuracy in a real life recording studio setup, but if it comes down to 100% accuracy vs. space on my hard drive, would I really be missing much by not installing that library?

Thanks!

David Ringo
    Participant

I don’t know, but I paid for the whole enchilada- why take a chance?

Azxk
    Participant

Hi I have the same question & wondered if anything had changed since this post in 2017 .

Will i still not be able to uninstall the additional “Surround” & “Bleed’ library’s if i don’t need them ?

Thanks

John

Hi Azxk,

you can always download the Part 1 Installer to Uninstall the entire library and then run a minimal installation of the Basic Sound Library, Part 1+2 or Part 1+2+5 if you do not want the Surround Parts 3+4.

The fastest way is simply to Delete the Sound Library and re-install but you can also delete parts of the library.

If you navigate to your ‘SL-SuperiorDrummer3/Sounds’ folder, Part 1 would be ‘soundb1.obw’ to ‘soundb23.obw’, Part 2soundb24.obw’ to ‘soundb52.obw’.
    Additional Bleed is ‘soundb114.obw’ to ‘soundb150.obw’.
    The Library Update is ‘soundb151.obw’ to ‘soundb155.obw’, so ‘soundb53.obw’ through ‘soundb113.obw’ would be the Surround parts.

I would recommend first moving the soundbunches to another location, to start SD3 and check everything works as expected, before deleting.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.