Cream drums setup

Studio Corner
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Brad
    Participant

I’ll take shot at this;
    Hating to admit (or maybe not) that I may one of the few here that saw GB with Cream, I believe at the time (1968) he was playing Ludwig (grey or silver sparkle I think was the finish) then, using 2 different size kick drums (tuned differently), I think maybe 20″ and a 22″ X 11″. From a wiki page… 12X8 and 13X9 rack toms. 14″ and 16″ floor toms. Riveted ride… that may be a trick to recreate…. You’d have to go through the kit list and pick out pieces that are close. As well you may want to look into the C&V or new Classic EZX. Snare was a 6.4″ X 14″ Leedy snare (he also I believed used a Ludwig sometimes)…. rumour has it the bottom head was tuned half a tone up from the top…. YMMV.

The thing (in my opinion) with getting that “sounds”, is that to me… the drums weren’t all that up front…. Live I would say that was at least partially due to the fact the Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce played so loud…. I assume they did in the studio as well… and apparently not with a lot of overdubs, so bleeding and leakage was probably all over the drum mix. So you may have to consider a certain amount of detail to ambient and OH mics.

Tom Dowd was the engineer so you may want to ‘google’ up some information on him.

OK I officially feel old today…

Mac Studio M1 Max, RAM 64 GB, 1TB Drive, OSX 12.x/13.x and Windows 10 (VM)
    DAW: Studio One 5/6, Pro Tools Studio
    DTX Express III (Extreme triggers), Nektar LX88
    OWC Thunderbay Mini (4 X 1TB Sata SSD), Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB M.2 SSD), Envoy Express (1TB M.2 SSD)
    Presonus Quantum, Faderport & Faderport 8
    Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128, BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
    2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

Rene Wilhelmy
    Participant

Thank you very much for the input! I have also in mind the C&V and the new Classic EZX, yesterday I was very close to push the Classic’s «Buy download» button! . But I feel that maybe I have already enough to get something having the same character.
    I will do some search around your ins…
    Cheers.

Asus P5BDel, Win7 x64, Cubase 9.5, Harrison Mixbus 32C, Sound Devices MixPre 6, UAD-2 Solo, DFH, DFHS, S2, EZX Jazz, EZX Vintage rock & EZX Nashville

Whitten
    Participant

There’s a rivet ride in C&V I think? McCartney tour ride, although I think there were only one or two rivets in there when we sampled it.

Rene Wilhelmy
    Participant

Well, 1st; congrats Chris for the latest «superbe» Classic pack! McCartney tour ride from the C&V, ok, noted.

Asus P5BDel, Win7 x64, Cubase 9.5, Harrison Mixbus 32C, Sound Devices MixPre 6, UAD-2 Solo, DFH, DFHS, S2, EZX Jazz, EZX Vintage rock & EZX Nashville

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.