Copyright question about use of EZDrummer

EZdrummer Pre-sales
Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dave Wesolowski
    Participant

Yeah, this hit me hard. I recorded an entire album using EZDrummer2 and hired a pro keyboardist. It took time and a decent chunk of money, enough to buy a nice guitar. An American made guitar… All of my music distributed through TuneCore is demonetized on YouTube, even though I bought the tracks and orchestrated songs uniquely with the different samples in the add-on packs. I keep repeating myself. Sorry. It’s just not JUST!

Ray The Taxman
    Participant

Is YouTube the only entity that has problems with using legal samples when distributing through Tunecore? Are there similar problems with the other platforms such as iTunes, Amazon Music, Spotify, etc.?

CH7 Rox
    Participant

Thanks for bringing this up all. I too write a lot with EzDrummer. As a guitarist, it’s nice to have a drummer ready to go 24 hours a day.

Did this issue with using EZ samples and YouTube, Tunecore, etc. ever get solved?

Ray The Taxman
    Participant

I am not aware of a solution.

Dave Wesolowski
    Participant

Hello,

This problem has only been a YouTube problem for me, but that is a huge problem.

TuneCore just warns you that YouTube will demonetize it, and that is exactly what happens.

Dave West

John

Hi, you guys with TuneCore and YouTube problems, have you actually received a notification that using EZdrummer is the cause?
    What would be more plausible would be the fact that you have granted TuneCore the collection rights for your music and as such you cannot do it yourself as well.

When I have published music videos containing my own songs, I have had the same problem but then my publisher explained that this was due to the distribution service (The Orchard) they used for collecting royalties was receiving it, which meant that in the end I was receiving it. Minus fees, of course.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Paul
    Participant

The problem is with the Content ID algorithm YouTube uses.
    How Youtube Content ID Works for CD Baby Artists – EXTENDED EDUCATIONAL CUT
    Any piece that could be exactly like someone else’s is a problem. Without Content_ID on a song, you can’t get ad revenue through your distributor. I have yet to determine if it also affects collection by your PRO (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SOCAN,etc.) as well.
    Isn’t this supposed to be a SUPPORT forum?  Where is ToonTrack in this conversation?
    QUESTION TO TOONTRACK:  If we customize the drum patterns that we use so that none of the loops are “as is” from Toontrack, would that work? Is this a sample issue or a pattern issue? Or a combination of both? Clearly you are aware of the situation since you have been very careful above to not address the YouTube Content ID portion of this thread, and just keep saying that we can stream or download anywhere we choose.
    Please provide some clear advice on what we can do to make these not “canned” loops so that we can work around/not violate the YouTube Content_ID requirement and monetize our songs on YouTube using your tools.

Thanked by: Vanessa Oberst, roliva and gingataff
    Sen Zonic
    Participant

YouTube is wrong and retards. It’s like putting a copyright symbol on a jar that contains a fart sound. The fart was caused by the type of food you ate last nite which happened to be burger king onion rings, and therefore burger king owns the right to your fart sound and you can’t upload songs to YouTube that contain a sample of your fart since it involves a 3rd party…this is an aberration that greed has created.

• This post was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Sen Zonic.
    Paul
    Participant

YouTube is wrong and retards. It’s like putting a copyright symbol on a jar that contains a fart sound. The fart was caused by the type of food you ate last nite which happened to be burger king onion rings, and therefore burger king owns the right to your fart sound and you can’t upload songs to YouTube that contain a sample of your fart since it involves a 3rd party…this is an aberration that greed has created.

• This post was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Sen Zonic.

Hilarious and true! And also answers my follow-up question about Burger King and sound effects. Thank you!

JohnnyRock
    Participant

Old thread and I didn’t read everything, but as I understood it its legal to sell when you create songs with other instruments? (Hope so since I already released a lot of music this year).

But people stil have problems with the Youtube content ID-system? Or do you just think it might be be a issue?

At least in my experience you can release songs without getting any copyright messages from Youtube. Etc. I have only used Ezdrummer this year but I already uploaded 70 instrumental songs to Youtube. I have also released several albums on Distrokid, and I just got a album aproved at Routenote (And they seem to be a lot stricter with the releases compared to Distrokid)

But this is allowed with toontrack as I understand it and in my experience the automatic systems don’t send any copyright claims.

But maybe I stil do one thing that is not allowed and if so I wont do it anymore: But I have uploaded a few of the drum tracks on Youtube, without my music… But I don’t sell the drum tracks. The only tracks that I sell is the drums with me playing other instruments. (The drum tracks that I uploaded to Youtube didnt get any copyright right messages either by the way)

diwalikarwa
    Blocked (Banned)

I want to be clear on it. It probably won’t even matter but I just wanted to know. Thanks again for the info.

Danny Smith
    Participant

Is it permissable to use MIDI (chords and all) “as is” by sequencing several MIDI selections together to create my songs in in EZKeys 2? The EULA is unclear on this subject. I am certain this has been asked before but it is still unclear to me.

Here is an example:

I use an intro from an EZKeys 2 MIDI pack then add a verse from a EZKeys 2 MIDI pack then a chorus etc. Then I create a melody and record the melody (vocal or instrumental) on top of the EZKeys track. I were to publish the song publically for pay, is this within your legal usage agreement if?

I love your products! This subject has concerned me for a long time and I would like to be clear and do the right thing. The reason I purchased the software is because I don’t have the piano technique to play as well as your MIDI performances.

Thanks for any help in clearing this up!

Danny Smith

Operating system: macOS Monterey (12)

John

Hi,

to reiterate:
    You are free to use any Toontrack sound and/or MIDI in a musical context (most of the time called a “song”) you create.
    I.e. it doesn’t matter how much of a Toontrack MIDI file or how many MIDI files you use to construct a “song”.
    It does not matter which sounds you use when you create your “music”.
    It does not matter if you give your created work/song/piece away or charge an enormous amount of money for it.
    All of the above, you can do.

What you cannot do, is to sell (or give) the Toontrack MIDI or sounds intended for use in a musical context in its raw form.
    I.e. you cannot take one, many or parts of a Toontrack MIDI file and sell or give away.
    You cannot sample a sound from a Toontrack library, e.g. a Snare or a piano and sell or give away on its own.

You can and should make as much music as you possibly want with your Toontrack MIDI and sound libraries.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.