connect multiple drum modules?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scott Eshleman
    Participant

IDK. How have you been using 2 modules to this point.
    Internal samples only, I’m assuming.

AFAIK, I believe that SD3 is only going to look for input from & respond to only one module.
    I would think that one of your modules would need to pass MIDI thru the other module to your computer
    and then on to SD3.

Olof

SD3 can receive MIDI from multiple MIDI devices at the same time.

Olof Hermansson - Toontrack
    Coder

Thanked by: literal_screw
    Cesar Valdez
    Participant

I’m using 2 Roland TD-30s. I’ve read that you have to change the midi map of one cause they will be sharing the same notes. How do you set them up so there not sharing the same midi notes?

pumpkinking
    Participant

You will need to change the midi notes output from the modules to not overlap.  I have been using 2 modules with SD3 for a couple of years now and I spent the time up front to pick midi notes on the module configuration interfaces such that each trigger was sending out unique midi note values.  Takes time but you only have to do it once (unless your actual triggers change).

Triggers from 2 Alesis kits (Surge and Crimson II), several lemon cymbals and two eDrumIn 10-input modules connected to a Mac mini M1.

Cesar Valdez
    Participant

Yes, I did that. I had changed the midi numbers on the second module from 60 upward. Also, I think I read or saw that since you can change the midi numbers in sd3, you could do that and not even have to change the midi numbers in the module, because you can change them in the software. Is this true?

pumpkinking
    Participant

Yup – multiple choices for how to change the notes.  Actually I have a combination of changes in the modules and changes in SD3 saved midi maps.

Triggers from 2 Alesis kits (Surge and Crimson II), several lemon cymbals and two eDrumIn 10-input modules connected to a Mac mini M1.

literal_screw
    Participant

Hello Olof,

I know this is an SD3 thread, but is the same true for EZD2/EZD3?

Can EZD2/EZD3 receive MIDI from multiple MIDI devices at the same time?

For example, two Roland TD-11s both connected via USB to a laptop running EZD2/EZD3.

Cheers,

John

Can EZD2/EZD3 receive MIDI from multiple MIDI devices at the same time?

Yes.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

literal_screw
    Participant

Thanks John,
    I hadn’t seen that mentioned specifically.

That’s great, just picked up the second module today.

Truly great stuff guys, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

John

Cool, just bear in mind that if the two modules/controllers are sending the same MIDI notes, it will trigger the same instruments, i.e. sending #49 from one module to trigger a Crash and #49 from the other module will trigger the same Crash. You cannot assign MIDI notes per module, so the spreading out of trigger notes needs to be done in the module(s), preferably in the added one.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

literal_screw
    Participant

Thanks again John,

Everything’s up and running. Had zero issues setting up the second module and pads.

Cheers!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.