connect multiple drum modules?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scott Eshleman
    Participant

IDK. How have you been using 2 modules to this point.
    Internal samples only, I’m assuming.

AFAIK, I believe that SD3 is only going to look for input from & respond to only one module.
    I would think that one of your modules would need to pass MIDI thru the other module to your computer
    and then on to SD3.

Olof

SD3 can receive MIDI from multiple MIDI devices at the same time.

Olof Hermansson - Toontrack
    Coder

Thanked by: literal_screw
    Cesar Valdez
    Participant

I’m using 2 Roland TD-30s. I’ve read that you have to change the midi map of one cause they will be sharing the same notes. How do you set them up so there not sharing the same midi notes?

pumpkinking
    Participant

You will need to change the midi notes output from the modules to not overlap.  I have been using 2 modules with SD3 for a couple of years now and I spent the time up front to pick midi notes on the module configuration interfaces such that each trigger was sending out unique midi note values.  Takes time but you only have to do it once (unless your actual triggers change).

Cesar Valdez
    Participant

Yes, I did that. I had changed the midi numbers on the second module from 60 upward. Also, I think I read or saw that since you can change the midi numbers in sd3, you could do that and not even have to change the midi numbers in the module, because you can change them in the software. Is this true?

pumpkinking
    Participant

Yup – multiple choices for how to change the notes.  Actually I have a combination of changes in the modules and changes in SD3 saved midi maps.

literal_screw
    Participant

Hello Olof,

I know this is an SD3 thread, but is the same true for EZD2/EZD3?

Can EZD2/EZD3 receive MIDI from multiple MIDI devices at the same time?

For example, two Roland TD-11s both connected via USB to a laptop running EZD2/EZD3.

Cheers,

John

Can EZD2/EZD3 receive MIDI from multiple MIDI devices at the same time?

Yes.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

literal_screw
    Participant

Thanks John,
    I hadn’t seen that mentioned specifically.

That’s great, just picked up the second module today.

Truly great stuff guys, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

John

Cool, just bear in mind that if the two modules/controllers are sending the same MIDI notes, it will trigger the same instruments, i.e. sending #49 from one module to trigger a Crash and #49 from the other module will trigger the same Crash. You cannot assign MIDI notes per module, so the spreading out of trigger notes needs to be done in the module(s), preferably in the added one.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

literal_screw
    Participant

Thanks again John,

Everything’s up and running. Had zero issues setting up the second module and pads.

Cheers!

Dan67
    Participant

Hello Pumpkinking- can you explain exactly how you changed the notes in SD3…. I have a DDRUM DDTI connecting 10 trigers and my Roland TD-50  and I have 3 instances of having 2 instruments playing the same instrument in SD3. no matter which one I map, the other plays it. I figured there must be a way to change 1 of them and from what I can understand it looks like you were able to. can you please explain or have a video?

thanks

Dan

pumpkinking
    Participant

Hi Dan,

I use the kit modules to change the midi note values that they generate for specific triggers.  This capability was available (albeit cumbersome) on the 2 Alesis modules I used to use.  I have since switched to 2 eDrumIn 10-input modules and the software interface supplied with them has a straightforward way to assign midi note values and channel to each trigger (incl multi-note triggering like ride and snare).  I’m moving my kit this weekend so cannot screenshot at the moment, but when it is back up and running I’ll send screenshots of both the eDrumIn config and how I am mapping the midi in SD3.

-Joe

pumpkinking
    Participant

I have attached two screenshots here that show the MIDI mapping o0f racktom3 from my module into SD3.  The eDrumIn module screenshot shows that I have assigned MIDI note 70 (and channel 11) to the rack tom 3 center hit, and this is from module #2 (I have split my 20 triggers across the two eDrumIn modules).  The SD3 screenshot sows that incoming MIDI note 70 is mapped by SD3 to note 67 which is high tom 3 center (SD3 does not use the channel other than for filtering which I am not doing here).

In most cases, I have manually assigned the MIDI notes sent from my 2 modules to be the exact value in SD3, but in some cases different SDX kits will have different assignments, and to keep my module assignments the same across all kits, I have created SDX-specific midi maps to allow me to seamlessly switch between SDXs without having to change anything (either than loading the user midi map).

I do not have a TD-50 so I do not know what the MIDI note configuration is like for that module.

Let me know if I have not provided the detail you were hoping for.

Thanks,

Joe

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.