Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Any way to build a drum without a drum sound module?

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • studioalley
    Participant
    gastric
    Participant

http://www.megadrum.info/

Build yourself a DIY drum module. 32 TRS inputs to go hog wild with! And it seems to have a lot of excellent functionality including the ability to “group” adjacent inputs for multizone cymbal support.

Christopher Graham

kimouette
    Participant

gastric,

Thanks for the plug!
    This suggestion is definately one that could solve my problem.
    But it wont be easy to build! I’m not a very manual person, I’ve never built any electronic system and the schematics are pretty scary!
    But I started reading and trying to understand, I guess soon (not tomorrow, but soon) I’ll be ready to start building it.
    …. unless someone brings a more simple alternative that would be just as effective!

Thanks a lot !!

gastric
    Participant

Obviously you could just buy a retail module such as the Alesis Trigger IO which is only $149 retail, and as low as $129 new usually on eBay. But I would personally try the MegaDrum, and I personally plan to at some point in the near future. On the surface it does look difficult. But in reality it’s not a particularly difficult task. You can look at the photos and see people that use solderless breadboard and go to town that way. Others go for a more professional result with etched boards which you can do with a laser/LED printer using the supplied schmematics available right on the site. You can also purchase most, but not 100%, of what you need via the “all-in-one” kits available for sale on the site. But that significantly increases the total cost of building one. Plus you have to wait quite a while for the kits to be delivered since they’re overseas.

If you really wanted professional boards I’m sure you could hire a local electronics company or individual with experience to do it for you cheap. Maybe even build the entire thing for you. Seriously, it looks like you just take a blank PCB, print the schematic, iron it on, and acid etch it. Then go to town soldering the components onto the board, which is now nicely laid out and labeled. Suprizingly simple, at least when I write it out like that. 😉 

But regardless based on my research it seems to be a VERY robust TMI and superior to the Trigger IO in a variety of ways. Now, whether or not it really performs is a different story. But I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

Christopher Graham

kimouette
    Participant

Hi Gastric,

You’re right ! The Megadrum board is definately the cheapest (and at the same time, a good quality) alternative I can chose. Since I’m not very manual and never soldered anything I asked my step-father to do it for me. I gave him the plans and explained what I would like as a final results and he seems pretty motivated!

I dont want to buy any drum module, first of all, because I would still need to do a little bit of electronic to map my piezos to the module and also, because it’s a little too expensive!

At first I thought the all in one kit was perfect, but then, I figured out that 90% of what it is made for will be useless for me (all I need is 8 analog inputs and the usb output). So there are a lot of useless gadgets there that I would be paying for.

So in the end, thanks for your great advise! I will have the Megadrum built for me and I’m sure I wont regret it!

One last question though…

On the megadrum forum I have posted a question to know what I would need for my particular usage. The answer was : one Megadrum32 digital board and one analogue 32 inputs board.
    But when we take a look at the “schematics” page, it sais that we need to build TWO analogue boards. Is that true? Will I be needing a total of 3 boards (1 digital + 2 analogue)?

gastric
    Participant

You’re totally on your own for MegaDrum. 🙂  I just know about the project and the features provided. But haven’t researched what to build. I’d personally be building the 32 input one in a rack enclosure. Sounds like you need something more simple.

Christopher Graham

kimouette
    Participant

Gastric, it’s so nice of you to answer every time I ask a question! Thanks for all your help!

So finally, my motivation kinda got beat up by the complexity of “trying to find the most unexpensive way to build a drum”!
    Like I said someone I know will build the Megadrum 32 inputs for me (that’s already a huge economy considering the price of a drum module!). But for the drum itself, buying lugs, hoops, wood (or any other cheap material), 2 pedals etc.. would still cost me more than I was thinking in the first place. I was naive enough to believe that building the whole thing from A to Z could cost barely nothing

So I found a guy selling an old drum (with skins that need to be replaced.. but hey, why would I care !!) for 200$ and I’ll go pick it up tomorrow. I’ll be starting from there.

I know I want to use the “mosquito net technique” as the skins,
    but now I’m trying to figure out how I’m gonna fix the piezos in place without using 129038123 different and/or hard to find material.

If anyone could help me on this one, it would be very appreciated!!
    Oh and a step by step tutorial with pictures would be even better!!

jerry
    Participant

Can anybody create for me a DIY module, so that I can use with any toontrack software.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.