And so it begins…

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rogue

to answer your closing interrogation, because the sound that EZdrummer produces will come out through the Audio device you end up choosing (or built-in speakers if none are available).

… if it can’t operate at low enough latency then you will have the pleasure, or rather displeasure to hear you play the verse when you are already in the chorus. That’s of course an exaggeration of what you will be up against but the result will be the same and someone will have to stop you throwing the damn thing through the window.

I hope that clarifies. But to summarize, believe us you NEED a dedicated Audio interface, it’s not even an option.

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

Glyn Costello
    Participant

Hi,

So when EZdrummer’s triggered to create a sound that it’s stored in RAM, it sends the digital audio data to the external device instead of the internal sound card and the external device handles the digital-to-analogue conversion process?

In other words… it’s an external sound-card that can convert digital data to analogue data much quicker than my internal sound card but can also handle the voltage levels required for driving monitors and receiving microphone/guitar signals?

Many thanks

Rogue

that’s the deal, you got it to the ‘t’ now 😉

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

Glyn Costello
    Participant

The Macbook Pro has a digital audio output (via fibre optic). Could I run a fibre optic cable into my AV receiver and decode the audio there? Would I still get latency issues? I’m just trying to save money since it looks like I’d have to spend at least £200 on a USB or Firewire device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1596

I cannot find any detail on where in the conversion process the fibre-optic transceiver sits… in other words, I’m assuming that the processor sends the digital audio signals straight to the fibre optic transceiver (as opposed to the sound card converting to analogue, and then the transceiver encoding it back into digital again).

Thanks

dysfunction
    Participant

Yes, you would still have latency issues with that approach because your Macbook’s internal sound will simply not be able to achieve low enough latencies (typically 5ms, at the absolute maximum, will be desired- lower latencies will translate to better feedback, and thus smoother playing on your part). Using a digital output is irrelevant.

Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB DDR2 RAM @800mhz, WinXP Pro Presonus Inspire S2.0 Rayzoon Jamstix 2 Sonar 8 + Adobe Audition 3

Brad
    Participant

You could look at a combination MIDI/Audio interface like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro or E-MU 0404 for example, filling the requirements of both audio and MIDI.

Mac Studio M1 Max, RAM 64 GB, 1TB Drive, OSX 12.x/13.x and Windows 10 (VM)
    DAW: Studio One 5/6, Pro Tools Studio
    DTX Express III (Extreme triggers), Nektar LX88
    OWC Thunderbay Mini (4 X 1TB Sata SSD), Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB M.2 SSD), Envoy Express (1TB M.2 SSD)
    Presonus Quantum, Faderport & Faderport 8
    Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128, BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
    2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

Jason Runyon
    Participant

ORIGINAL: bradch00

You could look at a combination MIDI/Audio interface like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro or E-MU 0404 for example, filling the requirements of both audio and MIDI.

Good advice.  I use the M-Audio firewire 410 for midi and audio and it works great….and Pro Tools M-Powered compatible.

J

Mark King
    Participant

Try second hand as there are a lot of interfaces going rather cheap. The firewaire 410 does work well as I had one on loan while I was waiting for my n12 to be replaced ( well for last 2 weeks at least) last year I also had a safire which I sold for £130 which is about avarage. Watch out though as pirces have gone up by about a third in the last 6 months and I think some people are trying to sell stuff for higher prices as the new price has gone up so much eg my n12 cost less than £800 and now goes for over £1100 new!!! 

SD3 with older sdx,s plus Rooms of Hansa and Death & Darkness. Cubase and wavelab current versions. Roland TD50x using all trigger inputs for triggering SD3 only. Windows 11 computer. Various keyboards and outboard gear as well as VST instruments. Acoustic drums: Yamaha 9000 natural wood and Pearl masters. Various snare drums. RME BabyFace Pro FS and Adam A7X monitors

Robshi
    Participant

On a pc you can get a free bit of software called asio4all which enable you to run low latencies with non asio souncards. I used it on my laptop to get to low latencies when not using external audio device if I wanted to quickly do something on the fly.

Maybe they do something for macs. I agree with the guys above though, ideally an audio device will give you the best results. Maybe asio4all could get you started till you get an audio device.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.