Advertising Issues

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Platinum Samples
    Participant

Most lay persons refer to compressors and EQ’s as effects… on a Neve console they’re referred to as “Correction Devices”, but folks don’t like to refer to them as such because it has negative connotations… so effects has become the norm….

Cheers,

Rail

Professionally Recorded Multitrack Drum Samples
    http://tinyurl.com/26k2xjo
    www.platinumsamples.com

Scott

If you think that using the term ‘FX’ is a stretch for Toontrack, you’ll also have to think it is a stretch for many, many other companies including Avid for their Pro Tools product.

Under the ‘Effects and Instruments’ page for Pro Tools:

…’using the dozens of world-class effects plug-ins, including compressors, EQs,…’

In addition, if you want to get technical, ‘FX’ is sort of an abbreviation for the word ‘effect’ which is defined as the power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; and when used in the realm of audio devices, something that brings about change to the original.

So, an effect or ‘FX’ could be any device that changes the sound of the original which could include mics, pre amps, eqs, compression, delays, tape machines, etc.; all of which have been used as effects by producers/audio professionals since the beginning of audio recording.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Whitten
    Participant

Hardware eq’s and compressors generally reside in the ‘fx rack’ at major studios.
    FX really is a common term to group eq, compression, as well as phasing and reverb etc…
    they are also often called ‘outboard’.

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Scott

If you think that using the term ‘FX’ is a stretch for Toontrack, you’ll also have to think it is a stretch for many, many other companies including Avid for their Pro Tools product.

Under the ‘Effects and Instruments’ page for Pro Tools:

…’using the dozens of world-class effects plug-ins, including compressors, EQs,…’

Are you referring to the including audio suite and rtas bundles that come with pro tools?  uhh, i believe those also come with reverb, delay, pitch shift, etc.

In addition, if you want to get technical, ‘FX’ is sort of an abbreviation for the word ‘effect’ which is defined as the power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; and when used in the realm of audio devices, something that brings about change to the original. 

So, an effect or ‘FX’ could be any device that changes the sound of the original which could include mics, pre amps, eqs, compression, delays, tape machines, etc.; all of which have been used as effects by producers/audio professionals since the beginning of audio recording.

I guess they are all FX then.  I guess many of us were just expecting other effects like delays verbs, chorus, etc…    but i guess you have to buy the electronic EZX for that.  But I wish those fx were available for acoustic kits too. 

For Whitten in post #3, yes, i have never been under the belief that such things are not outboard. I was just stuck in a common belief that fx were not eq or comp, but i guess they are.

Whitten
    Participant

Like you said in your initial post……
    They list the ‘fx’ included on the product page (eq, compression, transient designer), and the ‘fx’ have been widely discussed here, including the lack of reverb.
    So even if the use of ‘fx’ is arguably misleading, it isn’t that hard to find out what the actual ‘fx’ are.

Scott

Are you referring to the including audio suite and rtas bundles that come with pro tools?  uhh, i believe those also come with reverb, delay, pitch shift, etc.

That maybe so, but it doesn’t negate the fact that Avid/Digidesign group compressors and eqs right along with chorus and reverbs under the ‘Effect’ (or ‘FX’ if you will) heading.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Mark Williams
    Participant

Welcome back, FarBeyond.
    I hadn’t seen you around these parts much lately…

MBP 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | OSX 10.6.8 Logic Pro 9.1.5 | Metric Halo LIO-8/4P | Apogee ONE SD 2.3.0 | EZP 1.1.0 | Drumtracker 1.0.2

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.