24 bit percussion

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Martin

Personally, I can’t hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit, but we are all different. I am afraid there are no plans of releasing Latin Percussion in 24 bit as of know, and it’s probably not likely to happen.

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

Jay Coover
    Participant

I don’t think that fuzz is due to the bitrate of the sample. I can hear it when it’s compressed as well.

It’s present on the Udu too, but not on everything.

SD 2.3 NY vol 2/Metal Foundry/C & V/Roots 1 & 2/Music City Latin Percussion/Funkmasters/The Classic/Jazz/Pop!/#1 Hits/Electronic/Twisted/Claustrophobic EZKeys 1.1 with all the trimmings

jarvino
    Participant

No you really can hear it. No question. In any of the drum libraries, hit a floor tom in 16 bit mode and listen out for the nasty sizzle as the sound fades away. The loud part of the hit sounds identical in 16 bit or 24 bit – it’s as the sound decays that things get ugly, and what started out as a nicely recorded hit using all 16 bits ends up as a 2 bit mess. Switch to 24 bit and listen to the floor tom again.

So pretty much all of these beautiful percussion samples have this problem. It’s harder to hear on some things, but really stands out on the lower pitched stuff, cajon/conga/udu etc. Compress any of these 16 bit samples and it gets a whole lot worse.

In a full band arrangement, this doesn’t matter as much as you’re masking all the nasty bits with all your other sounds, although as you compress more that nasty stuff does get more audible. It’s just such a shame for such brilliant percussion sounds to be limited in this way. If you aren’t going to sell an updated percussion set, why not give the 24 bit samples away for free?!

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

It’s really too bad that this library and some of the other EZX’s haven’t been released in 24 bit format. I could certainly use some Latin Percussion in some of my tunes. Personally, the reason that I got Superior Drummer was because I was looking to get as much quality, realism, and variety as possible in this easy to use format. It’s matchless, in my book. So, I don’t understand why Toontrack has not released 24 bit versions of these EZX libraries.

I mean, apart from the original 24 bit files being deleted, what would be the reason to not release these EZX libraries in SDX format? I mean, I really don’t get it. Toontrack, if the reason is money, you could easily charge an extra ten bucks or more for the option to get a 24 bit SDX unprocessed version of these libraries. You wouldn’t have to do any processing (this is assuming you guys don’t have the original processed files in 24 bit format) and you could do download only. Or, maybe Toontrack has already decided to record new SDX libraries that cover many of the same bases as the current EZX libraries… I dunno.

Martin, personally I can hear the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit versions of the same audio. I wish that I could not, but I can, and other people can, too. You said that there are no plans to release the L.P. EZX in a 24 bit format and that it probably will not happen. I can accept that. I’m totally fine with that. However, will you tell us why?

Also, I’m kinda new to this forum, but why is it that most of my questions regarding Toontrack’s future releases seem to be addressed only with vague, non-answers, or ignored altogether? Is there some sort of secrecy clause that I don’t know about? If my questions and feedback are unwanted, please, let me know… so that I can stop bothering you guys and go do something else with my time. Thanks all of you guys that work at/with Toontrack to release these amazing products! Superior drummer is my favorite acoustic virtual drummer!

http://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbuxxx

Scott

Also, I’m kinda new to this forum, but why is it that most of my questions regarding Toontrack’s future releases seem to be addressed only with vague, non-answers, or ignored altogether? Is there some sort of secrecy clause that I don’t know about? If my questions and feedback are unwanted, please, let me know… so that I can stop bothering you guys and go do something else with my time. Thanks all of you guys that work at/with Toontrack to release these amazing products! Superior drummer is my favorite acoustic virtual drummer!

Toontrack never comments on future releases. Vague answers are, at best, what you’ll receive. Feel free to discuss what future releases you’d like to see amongst yourselves but don’t expect confirmation or denial from anyone at Toontrack. We are all bound to an NDA.

However, all requests and feedback about Toontrack products are logged by the appropriate departments so don’t fear that any requests are falling on deaf ears, they are heard loud and clear.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Juicy
    Participant

The original Superior Drummer has 24 bit Pecussion,the same percussion as LP, i am sure it is taken from the same session because the list is close to identical.Try to find a copy of Percssion that came with Superior Drums From Hell it is legacy TT and loads up in SD2 just like the excellent DFHS.

Rogue

ORIGINAL: jarvino
    No you really can hear it. No question. In any of the drum libraries, hit a floor tom in 16 bit mode and listen out for the nasty sizzle as the sound fades away. The loud part of the hit sounds identical in 16 bit or 24 bit – it’s as the sound decays that things get ugly, and what started out as a nicely recorded hit using all 16 bits ends up as a 2 bit mess. Switch to 24 bit and listen to the floor tom again.

I think you are confusing the 16-bit mode with true 16-bit content, that has absolutely nothing to do with one another. The 16-bit mode in Superior is there to allow to minimize the RAM requirements – it is a compromise for those on lower system specs and any unwanted artifacts should not be present if you use the bounce function (even in 16-bit mode).

Anyway, there is absolutely no reason to set Superior in 16-bit mode with EZX-s. As for the tailing noise when compressing further those EZX-s, well, they are already compressed to an extend, using analog gear, i.e ‘noisy equipment’ and that would be an outcome to be expected from over-compressing the sound.

That said I’m not saying you are over-compressing them necessarily, but I am quite sure you would get the same result working from the raw samples, compressing them to the same end result. Well YMWV depending on exact method used to compress them, but my point is that it seems to me that you are stating your assumptions as facts, be careful with that type of blind assessment, it really does no one any good 😉

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

jarvino
    Participant

Ah, missed that reply. So what is 16 bit mode doing to 24 bit samples if it isn’t throwing away all the low level detail?

Stephen Marshall
    Participant

I bought a copy of the legacy DFH Superior on KVR from a user there so I could get the latin percussion in 24 bit. It’s the same content only organized a little differently. All the ezx grooves will work perfectly with a few small adjustments. The little fizz is present in this library too, especially on the congas, but I need to be wearing headphones and have the perc solo’d to hear it TBH. So it has nothing to do with the 16 bit unfortunately.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.