Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

1 minute grindcore tech blast using NY avatar kit with amplitube 3.5 soldano slo 100

User demos
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Butter Buns
    Participant

haha no djent crap to be found here kiddos. i suppose that explains the lack of responses. anyways i always figured there might be a few people on these boards that appreciate some good grind blasts but listening through the posts on the demo sections reveals that most users on here prefer breakdown metal. yawn. anyways ill be taking this down in a bit.

KJ S
    Participant

I like it! It sounds like a mix of old Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer.

Butter Buns
    Participant

nice, thank you.

ajxtjs
    Participant

Haha – no djent crap… except for the fact that you’re using presets by Bulb, aka Mr Djent himself 😉

Anyway pretty cool tracks, I definitely hear some Pig Destroyer in the vocals. I think some bass would add meat to the tracks. Is that guitar double-tracked? If not that might be something to look into – hard-panned L/R guitars should give some more width to the songs. Overall good job though!

https://brownstratos.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/westonsupermaim

Butter Buns
    Participant

yea the gtrs are double tracked but there is no bass. ive tried adding bass but i cant mix it well so it ends up feeling too “warm” thus removing some of the percussive impact. and as for the djent crap yea, ironic that i use that bulb preset, hey it is a good preset! but i did tweak the hell out of the toms they were a bit weak imo. as for the vocals i was going for a more luc lemay gorguts’ obscura type sound but old school PD is one of my influences. thanks for the responses!

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

Hey man,

Well I had a good listen to all tracks and I don’t think the overall lack of responses was due to the lack of a Djent influence, personally I agree djent has been a bit too widely copied and IMHO too easy to hide creativity, I would say the issue was the mix, and parts of the composition or playing.

Gotta agree with the comment above, the whole mix is very narrow and lacking in a lot of colourful freq’s, if you’re worried about the bass dominating the mix, look into sidechaining the kick, I think when there’s such a pace to a track the mix really needs to allow the smallest detail to be audible and really keep tight and punchy, after that I’m a big fan of aggressive vocals, but track 2 sounded like someone had your balls in a pair of nutcrackers and threatened your manhood if you didn’t immediately start shouting at someone who was across the local estate.

I reckon, give the tracks some more dynamics, beef up the mix, look at subtrackive EQ’s and sidechaining, after than start looking at the master bus to polish the track a touch, exciters, master bus compressors (maybe) full linear phase EQ’s all sorts…

Regards

D.

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

Butter Buns
    Participant

im not worried so much about making a very polished mix. and actually thats the type of vocals im going for: a woman being set on fire. high pitched screams are my fave and honestly i feel that women can actually get better vocals in that context than men. examples would include kat katz of agoraphobic nosebleed and Melanie Mongeon of fuck the facts. plus discordance axis and gridlink who dont have a female vocalist but have very high pitched screams. as for the style/composition it is grindcore and it is an acquired taste

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

Well you clearly seem to have a goal in mind and who should any of us be to try and stop you making your own music, I still think that to enable this music to be appreciated to it’s level of intensity and musicality, a polished mix would still help matters, nb: polished mix, not necessarily master..

Regards

D. 

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

Butter Buns
    Participant

as for the mix i have some master compression going on i also have those two psychoacoustic maximizers on the master as well and there is some subtractive eq on the gtrs. i put high pass filters on the gtrs so it would stay out of the way of the kick. theres a whole bunch of 6th string alternate picking going on and a bunch of kick work. also the gtrs are almost panned hard left hard right but to be honest i never liked them all the way out in the stereo spectrum like that especially since i mostly record without bass. also i did narrow the gtrs in reaper. in the beta version of reaper 4 that ive been using they have this “width” control on each track so i applied a little of it to each gtr track and i felt it helped to focus the gtr mix so that it wasnt too loose or too far out in the stereo spectrum. and ive definitely got some work to do on the mix in general and more learning of course! haha but as far as the aesthetic feel that im going for i’m definitely trying to buck the trend of the having a too polished mix. an example of this would be wormrot’s new album entitled dirge. the sound is great huge gtrs and a fat mix but that album is right on the verge of being too polished. some days i want that huge ass sound but i try to remind myself that i dont want my music to sound like a relic of the past 10 to 15 years from now (which it still may be, despite my efforts! hah). but anyways i do appreciate the feedback i was just frustrated that ive posted on here before and get few to no responses while the djent(another contemporary metal trend thats really not worthy of being labeled a sub genre at all at this point imo) stuff gets all the attention.

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

but anyways i do appreciate the feedback i was just frustrated that ive posted on here before and get few to no responses while the djent(another contemporary metal trend thats really not worthy of being labeled a sub genre at all at this point imo) stuff gets all the attention.

Hey man that’s totally cool and truth be told I gotta agree, I love some of the djent stuff, but what happened to jaw dropping heavy hitting “riffs”? Or is that just down to the thrash genre where no-one seems to be pulling out the stops anymore?

I gotta say something though, a polished mix in my eyes is not the age-old “loudness war” it’s about getting clarity, not just from eq’s etc but phasing, doubled-busses etc can all add to the dirge, afterall why wouldn’t we want people to hear the details of something we worked hard to create 🙂 I would say the mix, drums etc all need a bit more meat, try dropping the overall levels before they hit your final master bus plugins and try adding a nice curve on the drums around 100-125hz, work a hi-pass on the guitars but they still need to have a bit of body so you can feel the amp moving as it were, aside from that if you’re struggling to still get clarity (those 16th/32th tremolo picked notes can be right arsed to sync up) then it’s not at all unheard of to sidechain the guitars a little off the kick aswell…

Out of interest how does the “width” control in reaper work? Again you ideally want to get the separation down on the mix and then everything gets nicely enhanced on the master and some free plugins which simulate haas effects etc caused issues in phase alignment which can again cause issues with getting sounds to project as some of their freq’s are suffering from phase cancellation etc

Regards

D.

Butter Buns
    Participant

lol yes that’s basically what i wanted to go for a modern grind thrash noise fest. pull out all the stops! well if there is some staccato type stuff it’s gonna be played fast as well .

as far as the loudness war v. mix clarity i completely understand your point and im all for it. im still learning to mix and at this point im so sure i have quite alot to learn especially with linear phase eq’s. i’d say my mix knowledge is still very fundamental and that is apparent in my mixes. but as far as this project goes i will want it to have a bit of dirt on it in the end. more meat a fuller sound im all for that but for this project i want you to work for the music. i dont want instant gratification so to speak with the mix imo it would defeat the overall theme or aesthetic that im going for. but yea i would say that knowing how to mix with clarity will definitely help me when i want regress to a dirtier mix how could it not

as for the width control visually it is a horizontal slider where having it hard right is 100% width of the track while dragging it left reduces the amount of width. idk if this is post or pre fx processing that ill have to check into.

as for the gtrs rhythmic phase cancellation with respect to overall clarity theres actually only one song that is double tracked which is the first untitled song. sorry for any misleadings on that one. there are in total only four gtr tracks in each mix all with two panned left and the other two panned right of course. as for the second two songs i wanna say that it was just one performance that was captured on four tracks. the last one might be double tracked but probly isnt. i record and re record this stuff constantly!

i think im going to remix the whole thing as ive been mixing all the songs in one project for months now! hah time to move on. oh the luxuries of in the box recording ^___^ i have the metal foundry, metalheads, and DFH expansions to experiment width so i’ll definitely take any mix advice i can get. BTW i did double up on the drum compression one master compressor inside S2.0 and another in reaper’s mixer. still got some more beef to add lol

throughthesegates
    Participant

what drum kit are you using? How did you get it to Pop like that and are you programming the drums from scratch or using Pre recorded patterns. Email me at Ray.93272@gmail.com

Butter Buns
    Participant

it’s the avatar kit. i used alot of compression and dont remember exactly what tweaks i did to the bulb preset. but i’ll send you the saved mix preset if you like. and i used both libraries of the extreme had to chop em up a bit to get all those snare rolls/fills tho.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.