Superior Drummer 3
Superior Drummer 3.2.5 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.2.5 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q3 2021).
- Added native Apple silicon support to the VST, AU and standalone. The About dialog says “64-bit ARM” (instead of “64-bit Intel”) when running in native Apple silicon mode.
- New standalone and document icons on Mac, in Big Sur style.
- An error dialog will now be shown if dragging out from SD3 fails because a temporary file could not be written.
- While drag-inserting notes with the Pencil Tool, you can now erase/undo notes before releasing the mouse button.
- In the CC editor, lines are no longer drawn outside of song blocks.
- Added “Show in Finder/Explorer” option on instruments that use imported audio files.
- In the Groove Parts view, Hi-Hat Pedal is now included in Hi-Hat instead of being separate.
- All User MIDI operations (rename/add/remove) are now threaded operations instead of locking the GUI and will show a progress dialog.
- The EQ now supports other Slope values than 6 dB/oct in Peak mode.
- The EQ curve is graphically smoother now.
- The mixer no longer has a maximum number of effects.
- Added settings in the E-drum page to control how ringing hi-hat sounds respond to pedal movement.
- Added a preset for Yamaha DTX-PRO.
- Added a preset for Alesis Command.
- Added several Medeli presets.
- On Windows, two new device types are available: “WASAPI (Exclusive Mode)” and “WASAPI (Low Latency Mode)”.
- “None” can now be selected in the output channel list to make the output silent.
- Tooltip placement has been improved.
- It no longer crashes if you select “Save As” in the Drums & Mixer preset menu and click Cancel.
- Loading an SDX factory preset that uses sounds from another SDX no longer shows an error dialog if that other SDX is not available. (Such presets exist in Custom & Vintage, Allaire and Hit Factory.)
- Loading only macros from a preset with more drums the currently loaded one could cause a crash.
- “Save a Copy” in the File menu would incorrectly change the project name in the standalone.
- In some libraries, the floor toms kept their graphics when loaded on rack toms.
- In some hosts, closing the plug window when a modal dialog was open would leave the faded background when the plug window was reopened.
- Sometimes the memory display wasn’t updated if the loading finished quickly – it happened mainly in cache mode.
- Force Cache Mode was not working correctly after startup, until a project or a new library was loaded.
- There are no longer double spaces in the library names “The Classic EZX” and “Indie Folk EZX” (there was an extra space before “EZX”).
- The PreSonus ATOM pad controller should no longer switch to keyboard mode when connected to SD3 (VST) in Studio One.
- Starting playback in Cubase with Follow Host activated would sometimes trigger notes located before the playhead on the song track.
- Turning on Follow Host will now immediately sync to the host timeline instead of waiting for the host to play.
- “Future Hit” articulations were not silenced correctly when transport was stopped.
- Aftertouch was not cleaned up on MIDI dragged to the song track, which could lead to cymbals getting stuck in choke mode.
- Dropping MIDI with a different time signature on an empty track would insert a new time signature node instead of changing the time signature of the whole track.
- MIDI events from muted song blocks were incorrectly included in exported MIDI files.
- Playback did not stop at the end of the song track in the standalone.
- In DAWs, when playback comes near the end of the song track, the song track is automatically extended.
- Merging two blocks did not analyze a new power hand but left it undefined.
- Zooming in very much could lead to the resize cursor not showing over song block edges.
- An active e-drum preset was not correctly applied when MIDI was dragged to the song track.
Edit Play Style
- In Latin Percussion EZX, MIDI could not be pasted on the Cajon in Edit Play Style.
- Merging MIDI blocks while in Edit Play Style made the Power Hand sign disappear.
- Removing a song block that contained selected notes could cause a crash.
- Splitting a song block and then clicking a note in the grid editor could cause a crash.
- Changing libraries or loading a project no longer resets the grid editor tools, zoom, scroll position and the value editor mode.
- Using Pencil Tool to insert a Future Hit note while also holding Ctrl on Windows or Alt on Mac and dragging the inserted note would create two notes, one of which was not created properly, causing a crash when trying to manipulate it.
- The aftertouch editor was not updated after undo or moving song blocks.
- Clicking on an aftertouch block with Pencil Tool now correctly deletes the clicked block. Before it would delete the blocks that were already selected, and when then another block was clicked, a crash could occur.
- Changing selection of song blocks would also deselect notes in the grid editor.
- Resizing a song block to make it smaller now adds CC nodes at the resized edge to be shown and edited in the grid editor. This also preserves a curve that was created with any nodes outside the new block area.
- The “Select” menu would sometimes make the preview of selected incorrectly flicker when you moved between the menu items.
- Fixed a few scenarios involving the “Select” menu that could cause the wrong notes to become selected.
- Choosing Replace All on “Source File” in the Song Creator resulted in empty song blocks.
- In MIDI Mapping, it was sometimes not possible to preview articulations by clicking far left on the labels.
- Clicking below the articulation list in Search for Instrument could lead to a crash.
- The (first) One Shot percussion pad is now called “One Shot 1” instead of “Instrument 1”.
- Loading a user sample and then changing presets could cause a crash.
- Fixed a potential crash when replacing a drum with a user sample or undoing such an action.
- The scrollbars in the Grooves tab are no longer reset when a new library is loaded or when the window is rescaled.
- Adding a User MIDI subfolder was not working.
- Excluding folders didn’t work properly in all cases.
- Clicking the web shop icon while playing would redownload the file and hide the popup immediately after showing it.
- The web shop popup is now closed if the web shop icon is clicked again.
- Closing the web shop popup (using the X in the popup) didn’t properly toggle the button off again.
- Dragging from the song track to a User MIDI folder would inadvertently append “.mid” to the display name.
- Tap2Find would not find anything if notes were only tapped into the second bar.
- Dragging a groove from the search result list with something selected in Groove Parts showed the merge drag symbol although it would not merge if dropped on an existing block.
- Dragging from Groove Parts did not always result in the correct Power Hand on the song block.
- Selecting a groove part and dragging from the search result list could also transfer an opening hit that was not part of the selected groove part.
- “Select Containing Folder” didn’t work on files that were missing on disk.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when adding an effect to a multi-selection of channels.
- Opening an effect side chain menu and, without closing it first, opening the effect menu and removing the effect no longer causes a crash.
- The “Blend” knob in the tracker now controls the volume instead of the velocity.
- Tempo nodes now snap to the closest bar when they are added or dragged.
- If a certain number of tempos were set in the tracker, exporting MIDI could cause a crash.
- Inserting or changing a time signature in an empty tracker project no longer causes a crash.
- Several Medeli presets were triggering the Hi-Hat Edge instead of the Tip.
- Small adjustments/improvements to the Pearl Mimic Pro preset.
- Resetting the metronome settings did not reload the default sounds.
- It is no longer possible to add an SDX path that is the SL- folder inside an SDX download.
- In Settings > Libraries/Paths, the detection of a volume/disk being unavailable was not working – it would trigger for all invalid library paths on Windows and for none on Mac.
Superior Drummer 3.2.4 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.2.4 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q4 2020).
- Added e-drum presets for TD-27, SD200, SD600 and SD1200.
- Playing instruments with missing user samples can no longer cause a crash.
- Undoing loading a user preset did not restore the previously loaded preset name correctly. The preset name was sometimes not recalled correctly when loading projects either.
- Using “Search with Tap2Find” in the song block context menu could lead to a crash later when interacting with the song block.
- Right-clicking a not selected song block and choosing Mute or Unmute no longer causes a crash.
Edit Play Style
- Amount changes were not loaded correctly from projects, so if a project was loaded and saved again, any Amount changes would be lost.
- Copy/paste in Edit Play Style always pasted the MIDI on the original drum instead of the one the user clicked on.
- Changing the MIDI mapping for an instrument would sometimes lead to a crash.
- E-drum mappings on linked folders (both existing and previous/unlinked) can no longer affect Toontrack MIDI.
- Peak meters on the right channels in the mixer measured the wrong signal.
Superior Drummer 3.2.3 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.2.3 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q4 2020).
- Clicking on a Song Structure could lead to a crash.
- Using a “Replace … on Track” function could lead to a crash.
- Using “Change Tempo” to increase the tempo in a song block caused a crash.
Edit Play Style
- Changing Amount for a future hit instrument (shaker/tambourine) could lead to a crash.
Superior Drummer 3.2.2 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.2.2 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q3 2020).
- Opening projects containing a song block with only CC events as well as opening some projects saved by version 3.1.7 or earlier could cause a crash.
- Adding a MIDI block to the track, adding an instrument and then turning the Amount knob for that instrument could cause a crash.
- Fixed a crash that could happen after switching libraries or bouncing in certain hosts (hosts that use a variable block size in audio rendering calls to plug-ins).
- On Windows, the memory usage counter will no longer start over at zero at 16384 MB.
- The preservation of CC bound to macro controls didn’t work when a song block was replaced with another.
Edit Play Style
- Information about Amount having been used to decrease the number of hits for an instrument was not saved in projects.
- Percussion amounts were not correctly recalled when a project was loaded.
- Switching library presets having added percussion in Edit Play Style did not preserve those percussion hits.
- On Windows 7 with a non-aero theme in use, tooltips may not work well – they are not displayed properly or they don’t always go away when they should.
Superior Drummer 3.2.1 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.2.1 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q3 2020).
- It should no longer crash when loading a project or undoing with a song block that had had its amount of percussion (“future hits”) changed.
- Some drum kit presets were not read correctly, usually resulting in a kick not getting loaded.
- CC MIDI events were not read correctly.
- Merging song blocks, or pasting into a block, erased all preceding blocks and set the start time of the merged block to the beginning of the track.
- Pasting into a block, undoing and then redoing did not bring back the correct state.
- CC information was not recorded correctly.
- CC information was not written when exporting or dragging from the song track.
- Pasting CC from one block to another didn’t work.
- Improved the interpolation of CC events to CC nodes.
- Copy-dragging blocks (with modifier alt on Mac and ctrl on Windows) on the song track could cause a crash if the mouse moved away from the song track during the drag.
- Pressing the mouse with modifier cmd on Mac and ctrl on Windows and then immediately dragging (or accidentally moving the mouse slightly) did not select the block. Also, that block and the ones that were selected were moved to unexpected positions when the mouse was released.
- The velocity ramp controls are back.
- The velocity editor top margin was too small.
- The aftertouch editor was not painted correctly.
- The Tap2Find metronome was broken for most time signatures other than 4/4.
- On Retina Macs, the Tape Simulator “wheel” graphics are a bit smoother now.
Superior Drummer 3.2.0 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.2.0 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q3 2020).
- The required macOS version has gone up from 10.6 to 10.9.
- Faster graphics on Mac, especially on Retina displays (when using a 10-bit color profile).
- On Retina displays on Mac, many graphical elements are less blurry now. A few graphical artifacts, like thin lines that shouldn’t have been there, have disappeared.
- Several texts in the GUI are sharper now on high-resolution displays or when a scale other than 100% is used.
- On Mac, the default folder for loading and saving projects is now a “Superior Drummer 3” folder in the user’s Music folder. It gets created at startup.
- On Windows, the default folder for loading and saving projects is now “Toontrack\Superior Drummer 3” in the user’s Documents folder. (This folder was created in previous versions by the standalone but was not used.)
- On Windows, if “Never” is selected in the scale adjust setting, no scaling by the Windows scale is ever done.
- An undo/redo history submenu has been added to the Edit menu.
- Preset names are no longer limited to 24 characters.
- Tooltips for GUI elements, e.g. buttons, will no longer appear after you have clicked on the element (until you move the mouse away from it and back).
- Added tooltips on many places that lack them and updated others.
- Auto-save files have better names for many hosts now.
- Auto-saves that are older than 30 days and for a different host than the current will automatically get deleted.
- Merely record-arming the song track no longer prevents editing like recording does.
- It is now possible to deselect MIDI blocks while Grid Editor or Edit Play Style is open.
- “Add Empty MIDI Block” has been renamed to “New Empty Block” in the song track context menu.
- “Select All” has been added to the Block menu.
- Some colors have been modified in the time signature and tempo editors.
- The grid editor can now be opened from the View menu.
- The grid editor can now be opened without having any song blocks selected, using the keyboard shortcut or via the View menu.
- New visibility system for instrument/articulation rows – three options: Default, Minimum and All.
- Row visibility state is now saved in projects.
- Added zoom keyboard shortcuts.
- Current tool, chosen values editor, zoom level and view position are now saved in the project.
- It is now possible to record with the grid editor open.
- Inserting a new node in the CC editor now inserts it at the same value as the previous node.
- Clicking inside block boundries selects the block on the song track.
- The order of the instruments are kept, if possible, when another library or library preset is loaded.
Edit Play Style
- Edit Play Style can now be opened from the View menu.
- User instruments that cannot be mapped to existing mics now automatically get new close mics.
- In the Options menu, the submenu “Folder” has been renamed to “User MIDI and Linked Folders.”
- As per common standards, filters are no longer toggled off by clicking them. This can instead be done with cmd-click on Mac and ctrl-click on Windows, for example.
- A Select/Deselect menu item has been added to the context menu on filters.
- There are now tooltips in the result view, result view header columns and folder browser whenever a text is too wide to fit.
- Sorted columns are now slightly darker to give a better visual cue that they are active.
- When a new search is done, the results are now always scrolled to the top.
- The level meter algorithm has been changed so that the LEDs show the dB value linearly between -48 and 12 dB.
- Sends can now be dragged onto existing sends in the mixer to replace them.
- A link button has been added to the Comp 670 effect, linking the two channels when the knobs are turned.
- Added “Samples” as a nudge unit option.
- The nudge number can be edited now.
- Added straight/triplets option to the tracker time bar.
- Added support for audio drag and drop from Cubase to the tracker.
- Adding or removing a Song Creator source MIDI file can now be undone/redone.
- The application icon has a new flat design.
- On Mac, the audio setup dialog no longer shows any device type menu, since it would only contain “Core Audio.”
- On Windows, the device type that was called “Windows Audio” is now correctly named “WASAPI.”
- On Mac, a certain system framework dependency has been removed so that SD3 now works on Macs that have somehow ended up with a non-working MobileDevice framework.
- On Mac, if the user’s home folder was located on an exFAT-formatted disk, it would say “Read Error” in the Grooves tab and in “Search for Instrument.”
- The “Open Settings” button in the missing sound library dialog did not work.
- The preview view is now reset when a new library is loaded so that the view can’t be pinned and invisible at the same time.
- Some less common hosts shared size and scale settings. That’s no longer the case, but as a side effect, the size and scale settings in those and some other hosts have been reset.
- Fixed a sound glitch that could occur if a host requested a buffer of less than 16 samples to be rendered.
- SD3 will better notify the DAW when anything has been changed inside the plug-in.
- The tooltips for next/previous preset buttons were switched.
- Looping playback could in very rare cases miss the very first hit.
- Double-clicking in the time signature and tempo editors to edit values was not always working.
- Dragging a User MIDI file consisting of more than one MIDI block from the Groove Parts view in the Grooves tab would replace existing MIDI blocks instead of merging with them.
- The song track scrollbar got the wrong size when the scale was changed.
- The number of visible bars in a loaded project differed depending on what scale was used.
- Improved parsing of MIDI files with several tracks.
- When looping back during recording, notes were not drawn correctly on the red record block.
- Dropping MIDI on the track didn’t deselect the previously selected blocks.
- Dragging loops to the song track so that overlaps occurred could cause a crash.
- Copying notes from a MIDI block that had been resized to another MIDI block inserted the wrong notes.
- Notes outside the right edge of a resized block are no longer drawn on the right edge.
Edit Play Style
- It was not possible to drag the power hand sign to an instrument where the first articulation was unmapped.
- Adjusting Amount could lead to a very large number of undo events.
- Changing power hand, editing velocity in the grid and then changing power hand again did not always move the power hand notes (the second time).
- Clicking on the piano roll incorrectly lit the “MIDI In” indicator.
- If two different articulations somehow managed to get mapped to the same MIDI note, the grid editor could crash when notes were moved.
- Stretching notes in the grid editor selected the wrong notes.
- The grid editor nudge buttons were swapped so the left button nudged right and vice versa.
- When stretching notes in the grid, the velocity editor was not updated with the new positions of the selected notes.
- Rebuilding the GUI by rescaling, etc., caused the view to forget how things were layed out.
- There were cases were clicking a articulation didn’t produce any sound.
- The flash icons for showing what is played didn’t work in all circumstances.
- Fixed a potential crash when Randomize was used.
- The CC editor should now behave better when you insert new nodes and load projects.
- Fixed a crash that occured when inserting a future hit note too early in the track.
- A row change of a note is no longer allowed if the new row is a future hit articulation and the start time of this note would be negative. This caused the note to be visible in the grid editor but non-existent in the MIDI.
- Sometimes when percussion notes were added, future hit notes would incorrectly be erased.
- Some edge case where the loop width was 0 caused a crash.
- Removing the source MIDI while the song creator was processing didn’t hide the progress bar properly.
- “New Project” didn’t clear the song creator properly.
- When the MIDI mapping was reset for selected drums, the “not mapped” warning on the drums was not updated.
- Loading a drum kit preset did not show the flashing drums as when you load a preset.
- In Search for Instrument, various dialogs did not have any close button and were only possible to close with the Escape key.
- In Search for Instrument, using arrow keys to change instruments with auto-load didn’t work properly – keyboard focus was lost after the first change.
- It was in some cases possible to drop MIDI on User MIDI or the Tap2Find drop zone when they were not visible.
- In Tap2Find, the metronome played another beat than what was set in metronome settings.
- Using back/forward arrows didn’t properly restore the sort direction of the result view columns.
- It no longer crashes if you try to drag a favorite groove by its play or menu button.
- Improved the check for out-of-sync folders in User MIDI section.
- The browser velocity slider was not set correcly after switching libraries.
- Bad routing was not checked for when side chain was assigned, which could lead to SD3 being silent after such a project was loaded.
- The send drag indicator is more accurate now in showing where exactly the dropped send will end up.
- Removing an added instrument and then trying to remove the unused mixer channel should no longer cause a crash.
- Applying mixer stereo out left some outputs still visible.
- The vertical scroll position in the mixer is better preserved now when you do things like routing and adding effects.
- In the Valve Distortion Box window, the labels “4” and “7” (kHz) were switched on the LPF buttons.
- The selectable “Default” preset for Limiter Pedal now sets Stereo mode (which is the default when you add Limiter Pedal to a stereo channel).
- Adding Limiter Pedal to a mono channel and then moving it to a stereo channel did not set Stereo mode to on.
- Adding Limiter Pedal to several channels at once did only set it to Stereo mode in one channel and Dual Mono in the rest.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused an extra blue tempo line to get inserted in Find Tempo.
- Tempo map nodes no longer snap to grid if you single-click on them in the song track tempo editor.
- Clicking on a tempo text label in a tempo map now selects the correct node.
- The zoom level will no longer be changed by undoing or redoing add/remove tracks.
- Tracker selection rectangles now look like those in the grid editor.
- Auto-scrolling did not work when selecting with a rectangle.
- The tracker transport controls were not centered when the tracker was in an external window.
- Translating e-drum settings between libraries did not work very well when the mapping limits for hi-hat or snare were different in the two libraries.
- Snare zone CC could trigger the wrong snare articulation when very close to the limit of the zone.
- Horizontal zoom shortcuts couldn’t be rebound. Also they didn’t zoom in/out on song track and tracker.
- Custom keyboard shortcut bindings that are displayed with non-ASCII characters (for example some language-specific characters) would not be correctly displayed after restarting SD3. If you have such bindings from before, you can fix how they are displayed by rebinding them.
- The audio setup dialog is now scaled according to the Windows scale.
Superior Drummer 3.1.7 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.7 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q1 2020).
- Added support for SDXs consisting of several sub-libraries even though installed as one.
- The reported latency was too small when a sample rate other than 44100 Hz was used.
- Fixed a sound glitch that could occur if a host requested less than 16 samples.
- It no longer crashes on Mac if you ctrl-click a stack pad and select a different sound from the context menu.
- Changing position in a browser groove being played in original tempo caused the looping to jump back to the wrong position.
- During browser playback with “Preview in Original Tempo” active, mixer effects that sync to tempo now use the correct tempo.
- Fixed a possible crash when user MIDI was synchronized/added.
- On Mac, the browser should no longer sometimes stay dimmed out when MIDI is dragged out from the window.
- Fixed a potential crash when Randomize was used.
- The undo system can now handle more than 128 song blocks.
- Exporting audio using “Bounce Microphone Channels” would in certain cases (involving having instrument stacks) result in incomplete exports.
Superior Drummer 3.1.6 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.6 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q1 2020).
- Fixed a crash on Mac that could occur for example when the window was opened or a different library was selected. Only recent versions of certain hosts seem to have been affected, for example Cubase 10.5.
- It should no longer crash if no sound libraries are available at startup or when a project is loaded.
- Deleting a song track should no longer sometimes cause a crash.
- Playing tempo ramps on the song track without Follow Host, the tempo made some incorrect jumps sometimes and some notes could be missed.
- When looping, the first note(s) could sometimes be skipped.
- Keyboard shortcuts would stop working on the song tracks after a track was deleted.
- The text “Drag MIDI song block here” could in certain cases incorrectly appear on the track when recording was going on, the tempo editor was open or the time signature editor was open.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when “Select the Hi-Hat Pedal Control CC(s)” was clicked in e-drum settings.
- At startup on Mac, if there was a dialog saying that the audio device could not be opened and you clicked the dialog button to open audio setup, the menus in SD3 would stop working (until you clicked on SD3 in the Dock).
Superior Drummer 3.1.5 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.5 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q4 2019).
- Improved articulation matching when loading cymbals from other libraries.
- Improved default mic routing when loading instruments from other positions and other libraries (mainly newer ones).
- The About dialog now has a link to a webpage with trademarks.
- Five new parameters have been added to the room reverb (size, motion, depth, high cut and low cut).
- The order of instruments and articulations is now saved in projects.
- Whether the time bar should use straight or triplet resolution is now determined by what is selected in the snap/resolution menu instead of by a context menu for the time bar.
- The popup value shown on the velocity slider when dragged (and tooltip) now matches the true MIDI velocity when exported.
- Added an e-drum transform option named “Lower Choke Threshold” (in the Edit menu in Settings) which causes all aftertouch values above 30 to be transformed to 127.
- Added an option to convert a note to aftertouch.
- The Analyzer on the settings page can now show aftertouch events as well.
- Roland e-drum presets now support positional sensing on the ride (if the module/setup supports it). Decades and newer SDXs support this.
- ATV now has “Lower Choke Threshold” and “Single Choke Mode” active.
- The 2box presets now support cymbal choking.
- The Alesis Strike preset now supports cymbal choking.
- The Mono Output setting should now work in Nuendo as well.
- When the “Additional Libraries” path is possible to change (because the folder isn’t available or it doesn’t contain any MIDI or EZXs), it can now be changed to a folder that doesn’t contain MIDI/EZXs – so you can determine where MIDI and EZXs will be installed.
- The description for the CPU core setting has been modified.
Bug Fixes (Major)
- Drums and Mixer presets would not get loaded if you pressed down the mouse button on the menu button and then released the mouse button on the desired preset. Using the Enter key to select a preset did not work either.
- If the active preset contains macro controls but you don’t use them and instead directly modify things that the macro controls are bound to, those modifications are no longer lost the next time the GUI is opened.
- The copy/paste entries in the main Edit menu were never enabled.
- MIDI Out should now work in the AU version.
- Hi-hat transmutes should no longer glitch when kick or snare mics are faded.
- Parameter recording (in most DAWs) was not working properly, especially Touch and Latch modes.
- While dragging a MIDI file from outside SD3, entering and then leaving the window did not properly turn off drag graphics. For example, parts of the groove browser would stay looking disabled.
- Tempo ramps should now work again.
- If a block is resized so that all original power hand hits are outside the edges, the block no longer becomes totally empty when the project is saved and then loaded.
- Notes could end up having their Note Off outside the block boundaries when a block was resized.
- Dragging a groove from the browser to a hole between blocks on the song track did not properly apply the new length to the song block, leaving notes active outside the block boundaries, which could crash the grid editor.
- Some MIDI notes could be missed when syncing to a DAW due to rounding errors between buffers.
- Programming percussion claps, then saving and loading the project twice would make the claps disappear.
- When the grid editor was open in a detached window and meanwhile, instruments were added or removed, the MIDI mapping was changed or a different Drums and Mixer Preset was loaded, for example, then the grid editor would end up in a bad state internally, so that clicking in it or doing other grid editor operations could lead to a crash.
- Deleting notes with the pen tool was not working properly, as the notes would reappear the next time the project was loaded, for example.
- A long note could be removed when two blocks were merged if the note was overlapping the edge of the first block. This could crash the grid editor.
- Fixed a potential crash when a stack was removed from an instrument.
- When cymbals from other positions or libraries were loaded, cymbal articulations were not always matched/translated well.
- Searching with Tap2Find and then selecting a folder without subfolders would make the sorting stop working.
- On Mac, moving a reverb or a delay to a different effect slot should no longer cause a crash.
- It should no longer crash if you click on a song structure when there are no suggestions.
- Fixed a potential crash when velocities were changed.
- The “Preview Selected Event” button should no longer play the entire audio file.
- “Stop All Audio” now also stops the “Preview Selected Event” audio.
- In e-drum settings, it no longer crashes if you try to reset the CC for Snare Zone Control.
- The Windows-only setting “Adjust scale when dragging main window to another screen” was never read from the preferences.
- (Windows) Turning off an ASIO sound card could lead to a crash.
- Incoming MIDI events would sometimes randomly be skipped, especially when a small buffer size was used.
Bug Fixes (Minor)
- EZX preset macro controls would sometimes incorrectly affect output channel effects.
- Route Instrument Microphones would sometimes fail after an extra added Instrument had been removed.
- SD3 is no longer silenced after loading a Superior Drummer 2 preset with soloed instruments/articulations.
- Keyboard shortcuts didn’t work when the macro control editor view was visible.
- Pressing the Esc key when the macro control editor was in an external window and active would make the window blank.
- Keyboard shortcuts were allowed during mouse operations which could result in crashes and other bad things.
- On Mac in file/folder selection dialogs, it didn’t work to choose a path that contained a question mark.
- The About dialog no longer shows some library names in all caps.
- The About dialog said “VST” for AU and AAX on Mac.
- Triplets were not drawn correctly on the time bar.
- Zooming using mouse wheel (and modifier) with the mouse pointer positioned near the left edge of the song track no longer scrolls to the first bar (in one jump).
- Keyboard shortcuts could stop working if the song container was in focus and time signature/tempo editor was open.
- Undo/redo sometimes caused the time bar to not be correctly scaled, so that song blocks seemed to have wrong positions.
- When MIDI Mapping Keys were shown, the articulation menu and its Select All button could overlap Clear Mute and Clear Solo buttons.
- The text in the articulation menu button lost its left margin if you switched away from the Drums tab and then back.
- Clicking and dragging in empty space in the result view selected the last entry and dragged that file. Now the empty space is dead space.
- The modifier bar now correctly extends to the edge of the window when Groove Parts are hidden.
- At 125% scale, mixer channel names were written on one line instead of two.
- Dragging and dropping instrument/articulation rows in grid editor did not always place them as expected.
- Fixes for issues with the “Select” menu in Grid Editor – note selection preview is more reliable and hovering with the mouse button pressed now works.
- 1/2t and 1/4t snap resolutions were not drawn correctly.
- After changing snap settings, the grid editor timebar was drawing too few lines.
- Drawing aftertouch was always done with snap on.
- Notes had too large hit area in the grid.
- Drag-inserting multiple notes in the grid did not show any graphics until the mouse was released.
- When an onset is added, the velocity is now correct without the GUI having to be updated first.
- Library paths should now look correct even if they contain special characters.
- In the Edit menu in e-drum settings, CC values are no longer written as notes with numbers over 127.
- “Add Alternative Library Path” did not work in some cases (if the existing path was path number 2 internally).
- Changing the disk type (SSD or HDD) of individual libraries did not work after “Disk Type (All Paths)” had been set in the same session.
- The “Disk Type (All Paths)” menu now correctly shows whether all library disk types are set to SSD or HDD or are mixed.
Superior Drummer 3.1.4 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.4 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q2 2019).
- Grooves and Search for Instrument could not be used by Windows users with non-ASCII characters in their home directory path (username).
- On Windows, “Delete Current Default Project” did not work for users with non-ASCII characters in their home directory path (username).
- The default path to user presets and the path to the file containing MIDI library transform settings were wrong for users with non-ASCII characters in their home directory path (username).
- CC curves would sometimes be silently ignored in random song blocks.
- It no longer crashes if you drag a groove part to a song track that contains two or more blocks and you get a dialog about importing the tempo.
- Copying notes, deleting them and pasting should no longer cause a crash.
- Starting/stopping playback in a host no longer changes what notes are selected in the grid editor. (Now, that only happens when record is stopped.)
- Empty rows in the grid editor were not possible to select.
- Deselecting rows in the grid editor (when multiple rows were selected) did not really work.
- Notes in the grid editor could leave a pixel trace when moved.
- Changing drum selection with the drum selection menu in the Drums tab or with the menu in Edit Play Style didn’t update the selection in a detached Grid Editor.
- The property box area got the wrong height when Macro Controls were opened or closed.
- It was possible to drag from the Groove Parts view in Grooves tab even when nothing was selected which could also cause a crash.
- Clicking the “Clear All Modifiers” button didn’t properly clear the Groove Parts selection.
- It no longer crashes if you try to open a Black Box in the mixer.
- Macro Controls couldn’t be opened in the Mixer tab.
- The Closed Tight value (127) in hi-hat calibration settings got truncated at other scales than 100%.
- Certain buttons and texts would in some cases appear at the same time and overlap each other in the MIDI In/E-Drums tab.
- Removed the untrue “Favorites will be lost” text in restore database dialogs.
- Using ASIO on Windows and setting the buffer size lower than 64, the buffer size was reset to 256 upon next launch.
- Using ASIO on Windows and setting the buffer size higher than 2048 caused a crash.
Superior Drummer 3.1.3 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.3 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q2 2019).
- Slider/knob value displays (popups) are now shown directly when you click on the control – you no longer have to change the value to see it.
- Tooltips have been added to the choices in the Select Parts preset dialog.
- MIDI playback is no longer stopped when the “Audio engine inactive” message appears.
- When locating a missing user sample, the same directory is tried for other samples, instead of a dialog always being shown for each.
- A new settings page “Keyboard Shortcuts” lets you enable/disable and rebind shortcuts. The shortcuts system is also completely rewritten and should work much better in general, especially when running as a plug-in in a DAW.
- On Mac, the default keyboard shortcuts for Copy, Cut, Paste, Select All, Undo and Redo now use the Cmd key instead of Option (Alt).
- The “Reset All” buttons will now ask for confirmation before resetting the settings on the current page.
- Added a new setting for the path to user presets.
- Changed the text “Edit Path” to “Change Path”.
- “Change Path” for Additional Libraries has been moved from a button into a menu, which also contains info on how change a working path.
- Added “Single Choke Mode” as an option to the e-drum presets, which sends an aftertouch 0 directly after each aftertouch > 63. That fixes problems with certain Alesis and Millenium kits.
- Updated the presets for ATV and TD-17. Also added the “Single Choke Mode” flag to the Alesis Nitro and Millenium presets.
- Some GUI redesign.
- Snare zones and hi-hat pedal have been split into two separate tabs.
- The min/max CC values can now be edited for the hi-hat calibration.
- All CCs that are selected now affect the hi-hat openness gauge and the calibration.
- Enabling auto-save now saves immediately.
- The auto-saves are now sorted by creation time (newest first) in the menus.
- The host name in an auto-save file name will never be “Unknown” now but instead the host application name in those cases.
- Time signatures can now be copied between different tracks.
- Time signatures can now be imported from MIDI files.
- There are now always two paste entries in the block menu: paste at playhead and paste on selected blocks.
- Changed behavior for bounce in stereo-reversed mode. Stereo files are now reversed.
- The grid editor GUI has been optimized for speed.
- The grid editor can now stay open when there are no blocks on the song track. If a note is added, a song block is inserted.
- A single click in the grid editor no longer selects a block.
- Shift and Cmd/Ctrl now work the same way when selecting notes.
- Improved the drawing of CC curves.
- Note preview is now triggered when notes are moved with Ctrl/Alt + Up/Down.
- Added Copy/Cut/Paste to the CC and aftertouch editors.
- The Select menu previews what will be selected while hovering menu items (under “Note Values”).
- Automatic scrolling to the playhead during playback is now disabled while any mouse button is pressed.
- Added tooltips (showing values) to the nodes in the velocity editor.
- Rearranged the values editor menu a bit and renamed the aftertouch menu options to “Choke …”
- Paste now follows the quantize relative/absolute rules, just as when dragging notes.
- “Show Note Length” is now automatically turned on for articulations that react to note off.
- Added parameters and controls for MHE settings.
- Added a warning button in the envelope box if both the release and mute tail are triggered by aftertouch or note off. A help dialog is shown if the button is clicked.
- Renamed the “Mute Tail Trigger” box to “Choke/Mute Trigger.”
- Every instrument now reacts to mouse clicks in the entire area within its selection outline, even where the background shines through, for example in the center of a tambourine or a triangle.
- The entire box view is now automatically hidden if no boxes are visible.
- A box view preset “None” has been added.
- The piano roll (MIDI Mapping Keys) no longer automatically gets hidden when a box view preset is applied.
- In the MIDI Mapping Keys view, alt-click can now be used to select an instrument.
- A warning icon/button is now shown on instruments that don’t have any MIDI mapping.
- Adding a Future Hit instrument now always steals note 2 or note 3 regardless what was mapped to that note.
- “Add Suggested Note” in the MIDI Mapping box is now only offered on unmapped articulations or where there is an obvious good note to add.
- Added extra info to the “Add Suggested Note” menu item in the MIDI Mapping box if stealing a note from another drum or articulation.
- In Search for Instrument, you can now click anywhere in the instrument’s preview square to play it – not only on the instrument graphics.
- Browsing to a leaf folder will now turn off all default automatic sorting and instead sort by name since it makes more sense to show files in name order there.
- Starting a drag will automatically scroll down to show the “User MIDI” folder so it is easier to access it, and when the drag is completed, the view will return to its original position.
- You can use left/right arrow keys to browse through folders and move between result view and folder view.
- An error message is now shown when MIDI is dropped on inaccessible folders.
- An error message is now shown when empty MIDI files/blocks are dropped on user MIDI folders.
- The right-click menu for a hidden channel now contains “Show Channel.”
- The drawing of EQ (spectrum), compressors and gate has been optimized.
- Added a dual mono/stereo switch to the limiter pedal.
- The Find Tempo view no longer has a close button because it was ambiguous, so the view can now only be closed by the “Cancel” and “Update Tempo Map” buttons.
- Added an auto-scroll button.
- GUI performance has been improved as well as some minor changes to the overall GUI.
- When a parameter gets assigned to a macro, the macro knob value is now updated instead of staying at zero.
- Added a function to set the min or max value of a macro parameter binding to match the current value of the parameter.
- Macro knob tooltips now include the current percentage value of the knob.
- Enabled MIDI devices are now remembered even if they are later unavailable for some sessions, so that they will be automatically enabled the next time they are available when the standalone is started.
Major Bug Fixes
- Follow Host being off was not loaded from projects.
- Clicking “Authorize Offline” when authorizing SD3 could cause a crash.
- Choosing “File > New Project” while having external windows caused a crash.
- Cancelling the “replace dialog” for presets caused a crash.
- If metronome sound files can’t be read from where they should have been installed, SD3 no longer crashes, but an error message is shown.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when playing MIDI after having loaded a SD2 preset containing X-drums.
- Fixed a crash when a sound library could not be loaded properly. An error message is displayed instead.
- Fixed a couple crashes/potential crashes related to having removed “added instruments.”
- No longer crashes when reaching the maximum number of mics allowed. Added a help dialog when failing to create new mics.
- MIDI Out should now work in the AU version.
- Fixed a crash that could happen if you loaded a project when no libraries were installed/available.
- Dragging MIDI into SD3 while the MIDI database was being loading could cause a crash.
- In Ableton Live, SD3 should no longer become suspended (silenced) when its GUI is not open, there’s no MIDI input and it has been silent for a few seconds. That could be a problem if you were using Follow Host to play MIDI from the SD3 song track and had a few bars of silence at the beginning.
- Added checks for CC and aftertouch around playhead when looping back and when moving the playhead while playing the song track, so that for example hi-hat openness and cymbals mutes are played back correctly.
- For recording to song track and for MIDI Out, mouse-down on instruments generated a Note Off event directly after the Note On, and mouse-up generated a Note On with velocity 0 plus a Note Off. (Now mouse-down generates a Note On and mouse-up generates a Note Off.)
- For time signatures like 3/4, 5/4 and 7/4, the time bar would never have grid lines at only quarter notes, even when that would be the most suitable depending on the zoom level.
- Trying to preview an instrument with no MIDI mapping should no longer cause a crash.
- Instruments having been added or removed should no longer lead to a crash in the grid editor.
- A MIDI note 0 (which is invisible/unsupported in SD3) on the song track should no longer cause crashes in the grid editor.
- Right-clicking a row that uses CC, the hi-hat row for example, and selecting “Show Note Length” caused a crash.
- Editing loops with aftertouch did not work as intended.
- Having three stacks and removing the second one could cause a crash.
- Having the MIDI Monitor open, SD3 could hang on certain incoming MIDI events.
- Right-clicking an instrument in a stack and selecting a new sound from the menu should no longer lead to a crash.
- Opening SD3 with all database files missing caused a crash.
- Choosing “Sync Folder” on user MIDI while in Web Shop MIDI could cause a crash.
- Adding more than 9999 user MIDI files caused a crash on Mac.
- Fixed several crashes in the Groove Parts view in Grooves.
- Very large (> 2 GB) databases were interpreted as faulty and couldn’t be read.
- Selecting an unmapped instrument in the target dialog should no longer lead to a crash.
- Creating MIDI events from unmapped notes no longer crashes.
- Various other crashes have been fixed.
- ASIO will now use the reported buffer size from the audio driver instead of forcing the buffer size from the buffer size selector, which is never visible for ASIO.
Minor Bug Fixes
- Bouncing some drums with Processed Tuning would render a mixture of processed and unprocessed hits.
- Cymbal mutes using mute tails would sound bad for pitched cymbals with Processed Tuning if the change in pitch was considerable.
- The metronome was a bit jittery for sample rates other than 44.1 kHz.
- The “Do you want to save changes” dialog could show up when loading a new project or quitting, although no changes were made.
- Closing any external window also removed the last undo event.
- In Pro Tools with Follow Host on, the tempo in SD3 was not correct if the tempo was configured in Pro Tools using something other than a quarter note as a “beat.”
- The time for the “Audio engine inactive” message to appear has been increased from 2 to 4 seconds. It should also disappear faster.
- If a Drums and Mixer Preset in an EZX was resaved as a user preset, the original preset would still be ticked in the menu.
- Trigger articulations could incorrectly be triggered when a Note Off was received if the bottom of the velocity curve had been raised.
- Better handling of bad/faulty incoming MIDI.
- Moving an external drag outside the plug-in window didn’t hide the drag symbol.
- Macro knobs could become unresponsive when changing presets or undoing.
- Setting default size did not consider the DPI factor.
- Loading a project with a Tap2Find loop and then changing libraries could cause a crash.
- Percussion pads now get the right names when loaded in an EZD2 preset.
- On Mac, an external window that has been minimized to the Dock is now properly closed when you reattach the view.
- Bouncing would fail if output channels had been renamed to contain illegal filename characters.
- Bouncing at different sample rates than 44.1 kHz could cause a crash in certain circumstances.
- Selecting parts from a preset could end up loading the wrong preset.
- The Return/Enter key didn’t trigger the default button in alert and authorization dialogs.
- Fixed a potential crash (race condition) at startup.
- Applying an e-drum transform on MIDI did not shift the aftertouch messages.
- Some Note Offs would be transformed incorrectly.
- The tooltip in the velocity editor now shows 1 instead of 0 as the minimum “In” value, since 0 is never transformed.
- Starting playback could sometimes move the playhead to the wrong position.
- The loop button and time signature are now updated when another song track is selected.
- Inserting an empty block (from the Track menu) now inserts a block that is always two bars long, instead of 8 quarter notes, and it is inserted at the nearest bar instead of exactly at the playhead.
- Importing tempo from a MIDI file could not be undone.
- Exporting MIDI with channel aftertouch did not work properly.
- “Remove Notes” did not always remove the selected instrument entirely.
- Time signatures could get lost when exporting MIDI.
- Time signatures would not always be transferred when dragging MIDI loops to an empty track.
Edit Play Style
- The Amount knob was not properly disabled when an instrument without MIDI mapping was selected.
- When you move the Power Hand or Opening Hit sign, it should no longer sometimes flicker back to the previously selected instrument as you reach the edge of a new one.
- Future Hit pad immediate notes are now correctly velocity-transformed when they are moved by dragging the Power Hand sign to a regular instrument.
- An instrument row where the main articulation is empty is now hidden even if the instrument has stacks.
- Unmapped instruments were not properly greyed out.
- When CC/AT events are inserted at MIDI block end time, the block is now expanded (as was always the case for notes) instead of the events being removed. Also, existing CC/AT events at block end time are no longer shown.
- Clicking on the left side of a note at the beginning of a block no longer selects the preceding block.
- The size of the clickable area in the piano roll has been adjusted.
- Some visual errors in the time bar have been fixed.
- Velocity/randomize/dynamics sliders were enabled even when nothing was selected the first time you entered the grid editor.
- “Select All” on the song track no longer causes the grid editor to scroll to the last selected block.
- Moving the mouse over the CC/AT editor showed a random faulty tooltip.
- Having more than one CC node selected made it impossible to deselect nodes by clicking empty space.
- Cutting a block, removing the second part of it and then adding notes in that area brought back the old notes along with the new ones.
- Drawing short notes in small spaces between MIDI blocks can no longer cause the first block to overlap the second.
- Improved the displayed value for auto-quantize. Now it can handle 3/4 time signatures and values above 1/1.
- Fixed some bugs with the displayed Auto-Quantize value in the menu for odd and multiple time signatures.
- Clicking on an instrument or articulation name in the grid editor now sends a Note Off when the mouse is released.
- Clicking on a note in the grid editor now previews it with the length of the note.
- Clicking on a Future Hit pad note did not always preview the correct articulation.
- Various bug fixes for Future Hit and percussion pad editing.
- The play animation in the articulation menu had some visual bugs.
- Added Note Off when the mouse button is released on preview pads.
- Previewing a stack with the mouse would only play up to the max velocity for the main drum, even if other drums had higher velocity gate settings.
- MIDI Mapping Keys GUI performance was slow and could cause frame rate drops. It also triggered the incoming MIDI animation on both Note On and Off, meaning it blinked too much.
- Envelope presets are now saved with the SD3 user presets instead of among the SD2 presets.
- The MIDI monitor did not display channel aftertouch correctly.
- “Add Suggested Note” did not update the other rows in the MIDI Mapping box, leading to that there could be several rows with the same note number (seemingly).
- Clicking on an articulation in the articulation selection menu now sends a note off when the mouse is released.
- Clicking a Future Hit pad now previews the first immediate articulation, so that sound is heard right away.
- You can now preview a Future Hit pad by clicking “Future Hit Stack” or “All Articulations” in the articulation menu.
- Recording by clicking in the articulation menu for a Future Hit pad didn’t result in the right articulations and velocities being recorded.
- The menus in the MIDI Mapping box now show up at mouse-over instead of only being shown on the selected row.
- The first browser column has been made wider because some library names got truncated.
- User MIDI folders didn’t sync properly when Web Shop MIDI was activated.
- Creating a folder in the user MIDI section selected the new folder but didn’t update the search results.
- On Mac, it wasn’t possible to select an e-drum preset for a user MIDI folder that had a backslash in the path.
- E-drum transforms that apply in the browser now also transform aftertouch.
- The drum selection is no longer visible in Tap2Find.
- The pre/post look in Bus Send views is now updated when undo is used.
- Stereo reverse in the mixer did not flip the channel strip LEDs.
- Effects did not get redrawn if placed in an external window and the mixer was not showing.
- In effect windows, the channel name could overwrite other text.
- Various other pixel fixes in effect windows.
- Find Tempo is now disabled in the tempo map right-click menu when there’s no audio in Tracker.
- Grid and time bar graphics were not properly updated when tempo nodes were removed.
- Nudging one millisecond moved more than that.
- Inverting selection did not care about manually added transients.
- Going between Export and normal view could result in the grid background being shown even if turned off.
- Auto-scroll did not go all the way back when the playhead was moved to the start and Snap to Grid was on.
- The metronome would sometimes miss the first beat.
- Exporting MIDI from Tracker would always insert tempo nodes from the Tracker tempo map no matter what was selected in the Tempo menu in Export.
- The scrollbar graphics were not properly updated when a different library was loaded.
- At certain zoom levels, the timebar was inconsistent regarding where decimals were shown.
- The Edit button in the “target” popup could get stuck in off mode.
- Not all settings were reset to default by the “Reset All” buttons.
Superior Drummer 3.1.2 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.2 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q2 2018).
- Shift+Space now works in DAWs to start/stop song track or tracker playback (if keyboard shortcuts are enabled in Settings).
- Notes are now previewed when they are moved up or down using the keyboard.
- CC nodes and Aftertouch blocks can now be copied through drag with Ctrl (PC)/Alt (Mac) pressed.
- Shift-dragging CC nodes now keeps their position locked horizontally or vertically.
- The drawing has been optimized to speed up the GUI.
- Fixed the cause of random crashes that could occur after having used Search for Instrument before and after loading a Drums and Mixer preset.
- Opening a project (and some other operations) could take a VERY long time when there were lots of notes or CC values on the song track.
- Loading certain library presets having more than about 10 CPU cores should no longer cause a crash.
- Having the MIDI Monitor open, SD3 could hang on certain incoming MIDI events.
- If the beats in the tempo in Pro Tools had been set to something other than quarter notes, SD3 used to show the wrong tempo (when Follow Host was on). Also, during synchronized playback then, SD3 would randomly skip notes from its song track.
- An auto-save no longer gets saved as soon as the setting is turned on or SD3 is opened/instantiated.
- Auto-saves should no longer get saved with host name “Unknown” in certain DAWs but instead with the actual application name.
- “Paste instrument notes” sometimes did not work properly after having loaded a project that used the same library that was already loaded before.
- Follow Host is again on by default.
- Improved metronome playback on sharp tempo slopes.
- Dragging out MIDI from the song track sometimes just did not work.
- Bar numbers were drawn incorrectly when the song track was scrolled past time signature changes.
- E-drum CC curves were not correctly transformed when MIDI was dropped on the track.
- Bounce now uses the current host tempo when Follow Host is on, instead of using the internal song track tempo.
- The song track could miss to play certain MIDI notes depending on where the playback was started, due to rounding error.
- The tempo display flickered during host-synced playback when rapid tempo changes on the song track were passed by.
- The edge margin for resizing song blocks did not consider the window scale.
- Fixed a graphical bug with the plus symbol when dragging a song block with Ctrl (PC)/Alt (Mac).
- Clicking on an unmapped articulation in the MIDI Mapping box could cause a crash.
- An unassigned stack could not be moved to an articulation.
- Using the right-click menu for an added instrument to switch or remove the instrument could lead to a crash.
- On Mac, it wasn’t possible to select a MIDI mapping preset for a user MIDI folder that had a backslash in the path.
- The browser playhead could end up far before the start position when changing grooves.
- Shift-clicking a note now adds it to the selection without deselecting others.
- Deselecting all notes in the velocity editor now properly disables quantize controls.
- Clicking on an unmapped note in the grid editor could cause a crash.
- Dragging/moving the playhead on the song track or in the grid editor now moves the other playhead at the same time.
- Inserting CC/AT values at block end time didn’t expand the block. Also, values at end time were still treated as if they were inside the block in some cases, potentially leading to duplication of those events.
- When “Show Note Length” in the grid editor is active, notes now have a minimum width so that they can no longer become invisible at some zoom levels.
- Opening and closing the value editor menu in the grid editor no longer removes the text that describes what a selected aftertouch event is connected to.
- Clicking on an empty track in Tracker after selecting New (project) from the File menu should no longer cause a crash.
- Calibrating the e-drum hi-hat could render some hi-hat articulations unused.
- E-drum presets have been updated so they now work better with libraries that do not have bow and bell articulations for crashes. Superior Drummer 3 Core, Rock Foundry, Roots and Music City will require minor updates for crash bow and bell articulations to play correctly.
- Note Off velocities (0) are no longer transformed by the e-drum velocity transformer (if active), which could have caused doubled hits.
- Tooltip values in the velocity transform editor were sometimes off by 1.
- The “ignore hi-hat openness above/below value” algorithm is no longer applied if no velocity limits are set (as per default).
- In the Mac standalone, it can no longer happen that the quit dialog appears when another modal dialog is already open.
- Cancelling the quit dialog no longer quits the standalone anyway.
Superior Drummer 3.1.1 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.1 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q1 2018).
- Optimizations for graphics rendering.
- Certain GM defined CC numbers are now in a separate submenu when you right-click a control to bind it to a CC.
- Automatic MIDI assignment has been updated with data from new sound libraries so that it works better.
- The first browser column is now a bit wider since some library names got truncated.
- Zones where it is forbidden to add future hit notes are now shown when the Add Tool is active and the mouse is over future hit rows.
- Ctrl/cmd-deselecting notes with lasso now updates the graphics while dragging.
- Changed header in Select menu from “Selection” to “Select on Active Rows”.
- Added “MIDI Editing – Preview Sounds” option to the grid editor, so you can turn off preview sounds while editing.
- Zooming while having Auto in Resolution menu will apply any changes done by Quantize/Swing/Randomize or Nudge controls.
- Metronome output list shows the output channel names instead of numbers.
- Added undo for enable/disable macro control row.
- Added undo for rename and hide/show mixer channels.
- Right click on hidden channel now has “Show Channel” option.
- New location for the “Drag MIDI to song track” sign in the Tracker export view.
- Clicking “Authorize Offline” when authorizing SD3 caused a crash.
- It could crash at startup if the default project used a library which was located on a disconnected harddrive.
- Keyboard shortcuts other than space and escape are now blocked when a modal dialog is open.
- Fixed some graphical issues for sub-100% scales.
- Detaching the grid editor from the View menu no longer opens Edit Play Style.
- Selecting “Reattach All” when Edit Play Style is open no longer brings up the stack view and box view.
- Pressing escape key now tries to close the dialog in focus first. Only closes one dialog at a time as well.
- Selecting “Load Default Project” no longer keeps the old project name.
- The macro control area is now brought back when Tap2Find is closed, if it was previously visible.
- Improved MIDI mapping from Superior Drummer 2 presets.
- Removing all SD3 instances in a DAW and then adding a new instance could make SD3 use the wrong fonts.
- Fixed missing/wrong tooltip on the time signature buttons.
- Pitch FX undo was not always saved.
- No sounds were loaded when undoing disable bleed or lowering the layer limits.
- The envelope release indicator is no longer drawn if release is off.
- Removing a stack could cause a crash in some situations.
- Clicking on stack hits or having a stack selected and playing the whole drum did not show visual hit in the velocity editor.
- Substituted drum hits did not show visual hits in the stack view.
- Made the articulations list a bit wider to fit the future hit percussion names.
- Clicking multiple times on an articulation name in the mapping box could stop preview for that articulation.
Search for Instrument
- Previewing instruments with no MIDI mapping caused a crash.
- Added ‘S2 User Presets’ submenu (when needed) in the e-drum presets menu in the browser, so that such presets no longer appear in the Legacy submenu.
- Hi-hat open/closed buttons had wrong positions if the Song Creator was open.
Edit Play Style
- Copying from and to a future hit instrument did not work well.
- A crash could occur if instruments had been added and removed.
- Unmapped notes were not shown as separate rows anymore.
- Improved the algorithm for determining if a row should be visible or not if hiding “unused” articulations/instruments.
- Turning on/off articulations now updates grid editor in case rows should be added/removed.
- Aftertouch events inserted at the very end of a MIDI block got removed.
- The default velocity for new future hit notes was wrong.
- Wrong articulation could be played when clicking on future hit percussion rows.
- Visual hits for future hit percussion in grid editor were off.
- The grid editor would not get any visual hits if in external window and Edit Play Style was closed.
- Clicking an instrument row that had no MIDI mapping caused a crash.
- Unmapped instruments were not properly greyed out.
- Selection is now restored when undoing drawing velocities in the grid editor.
- Crash fix for showing triplets in 1/32 time signature.
- The aftertouch state is now reset when the song track is stopped.
- Aftertouch and CC states are now set correctly when song track playback is resumed.
- Snapping on song track and timebar did not work very well on other scales than 100%.
- Inserting a time signature change could move the signature changes placed after the insert.
- The browser path written in MIDI files was missing the first folder.
- If multiple kitpice transforms existed and the MIDI in a block had to be reanalyzed (when editing MIDI in the grid editor, for example), all transforms were not cleared, which lead to strange results when undo/redoing.
- When exporting MIDI, the length of the exported file did not match the length of the audio track.
- Keyboard shortcut fixes in tempo map and time signature editors.
- Grid and timebars didn’t always update correctly after undo.
- Nudge in Milliseconds mode moved by centiseconds instead.
- Removing a loaded track and then clicking on the empty last track could cause a crash.
- “Select All Events” did not select manually added transients.
- Fixed issue where SD3 could freeze when adding/removing sends.
- Removing all effects with the mixer menu or channel preset menu did not save undo for all the macros that belonged to the effects.
- Channel height is now updated when undoing adding/removing sends.
- Undoing adding a send now hides the shown bus channel if it was hidden before.
- Bleed can now be turned off in send window without the bad routing popup showing up.
- Hiding channels with animation now saves an undo event.
- Send pre/post look is now updated when undoing.
- Hi-hat openness was drawn as active although it was not when it was dragged to the top or the bottom.
- Preset name typo fix: Simmonds -> Simmons.
- The last mixer output was not possible to choose for metronome output.
- The window no longer stays in maximized mode after selecting a new size from the View menu.
- Standalone maximized mode is saved between sessions.
Superior Drummer 3.1.0 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.1.0 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q1 2018).
- Instrument rows are now movable so you can order them in any way you like.
- The instrument rows can now be resized horizontally.
- Instruments can be soloed/muted from the grid editor.
- Instrument/articulation row can now be set to show note lengths in case your instrument reacts to note off messages.
- New menu button above instrument rows.
- Show/hide unmapped/unloaded instruments
- Reset order (to reset instrument ordering to default)
- Collapse/expand all instrument rows
- Zoom buttons/slider now zoom in on the playhead if visible.
- Quantize has received an overhaul and now supports 0-100% quantize as well as swing and randomize options.
- Notes currently not mapped to anything are now shown (as for example “Note 5”) so you can edit them.
- The grid editor can now be detached to its own window for multi-screen support.
- All blocks on the song track are now visible in the grid editor.
- Inserting notes outside the MIDI block boundaries now extends the block to contain the notes.
- The visible grid is now entirely based upon zoom; the further you zoom in, the more grid lines are visible.
- The timebar has a right-click menu where you can select to show triplets or straight grid lines.
- The snap menu now has an “Auto” option (active by default) that allows snap to work on the visible grid instead of predetermined values.
- Nudge has been added to move notes in very small steps.
- Auto-scroll (on by default) added so you can turn it off to stop the view from scrolling away when playing.
- The arrow and pencil tools are now global and used in both note area and in velocity/CC/aftertouch editor.
- The pencil tool now allows for inserting/removing notes on drag (to insert/remove a note at every snap value).
- Improved editing of future hit instruments (built-in shaker and tambourine instruments).
- Several keyboard shortcuts have been added.
- 1: Select arrow tool
- 2: Select pencil tool
- G: Toggle snap
- Q: Quantize selected notes 100%.
- Ctrl (PC) / Alt (Mac) + arrow up/down: Move selected notes up/down
- Ctrl (PC) / Alt (Mac) + arrow left/right: Nudge selected notes left/right
- Arrow left/right/up/down: Change selected note
- Shift + I: Invert selection
- S / M: Solo/mute selected instrument/articulation rows
- Alt + S/M: Clear/recall solo/mute
- Ctrl (PC) / Alt (Mac) + A: Select all (in last clicked view)
- New Options menu
- Added the possibility to stretch notes to half and double tempo as well as convert between 4/4 and 6/8.
- Snap can be changed to snap to “relative” which means a note’s offset to the grid line is preserved when moving it.
- Nudge can be set to move a 128th note, one millisecond or follow the current snap setting.
- New Select menu
- Different options to select notes added here (like select only 8th notes, invert selection, exclude notes, etc.)
- Velocity/CC/aftertouch editor changes
- New graphics.
- The dynamics knob has been replaced by three new sliders in velocity mode (velocity, dynamics and randomize).
- The new sliders can be detached to allow for other editing in the velocity area.
- The curve edit menu now has a recent section to quickly swap between the last edited CC/aftertouch/velocity.
- Entries in the curve edit menu are now highlighted in case an active curve is available for that CC/aftertouch note.
- Added aftertouch editing, both poly pressure and channel pressure.
- CC curves can now be disabled.
- Paste menus now also show CC values.
- CC information on MIDI blocks is now retained when overwriting a block with another (to keep for example macro automation intact).
- Added an “Auto-Scroll” option to allow/stop the view from scrolling automatically when playing.
- Paste is enabled at playhead position in Block menu if no block is selected.
- When dropping MIDI from User MIDI, a dialog is shown with option to import tempo map and time signatures also.
- Darker tempo edit background color so that it’s easier to see the tempo.
- Renamed “Show Related Grooves” to “Show Similar Grooves” and “Show in Browser” to “Select Containing Folder.”
- Renamed “CC Numbers” in control right-click menus to “Bind to CC.”
- Added project name header in file menu.
- Renamed “Scaling” to “Scale” in the View menu.
- Removed the “file not supported” dialog when dragging unsupported files to the plug.
- SD3 presets are now shown before the SD2 presets in the preset menu.
- In Edit Play Style, the Edit and View menus are no longer disabled and the Song Creator may also be used.
- Metronome settings have been added.
- Auto-save system added. If the standalone is not closed properly, it asks if you want to load from auto-save next time it is opened.
- Added “Rescan User Presets” to preset menus.
- Tempo and time signatures are now included in dragged MIDI files where possible.
- Added ‘Delete’ to the Drums and Mixer user presets arrow menus.
- If the chosen Drums and Mixer preset is not found, it written in parentheses and in italics.
- Better names on MIDI loops when dragging from Song Creator, Tap2Find and User MIDI.
- Added a runtime No Audio Device warning.
- New fonts that work on both PC and Mac.
- Added option to “keep output routing on preset change” to the library preset menu.
- Lots of new graphics.
- Improved undo messages.
- Added more actions to undo/redo system.
- Improved alphabetical sort of the sound libraries.
- Updated network support.
- Added 125% scale option.
- More window size options in the view menu (3 set sizes and an option to set custom window size).
- On Windows, upon Reset in View menu, the window is rescaled to the DPI of the current monitor if main monitor has been switched.
- On Windows, upon mouse-up after dragging the main window to a monitor with a different DPI, the user is given an option to rescale the interface.
- Added Load Default Project and Delete Current Default Project to the File menu.
- New graphics for the authorization dialogs.
- About dialog has new design.
- If a temporary file can’t be created as part of a drag operation, an alert dialog is shown.
- New design of several tabs in settings.
- Added handle dot to release curve slope.
- Old EZdrummer 1 Mixer Presets can now be found under Parts Presets – Mixers.
- Windows systems with a disk formatted with MacDrive software can now access their sounds.
- Substituted articulations will now play the entire stack instead of only the main articulation.
- Added ‘Reset to Original’ and ‘Clear All’ to the MIDI Mapping property box menu.
- Added a visual handle to the Envelope Curve in the Envelope and Offset property box.
- Added User Presets to the Envelope and Offset property box.
- Added indicator on the curve in the Velocity Curve property box.
- It is now possible to select more than the currently loaded library’s instrument types when creating a User Instrument based upon an imported audio file.
- CC-controlled instruments will now play the entire stack of the target articulation.
- Renamed the menu item in the Macro Control area to “Macro Control Settings…”
- Changed automatic MIDI assignment when adding new instrument so that it works better (with cowbell for example).
- Inactive folders are now easier to read when they are selected.
- User MIDI libraries/folders are now scanned in the background to check if the folders are in sync. If a folder is not in sync, a orange dot will appear next to the menu button for that library, and in the menu the same orange dot is shown next to the “Sync File Changes” entry.
- The installation dialog now has progress animation.
- Improved handling of User MIDI section.
- Show right-click menu when clicking on empty area in subfolder.
- Show dimmed icon if folder is empty.
- Select new path upon creating new subfolder.
- E-drum presets can now be selected for User MIDI and mounted folders.
- It is now more apparent if preview playback is altered (half tempo, original tempo, etc.).
- Added Groove Parts, previously known as ‘Kit Pieces’ in Superior Drummer 2.
- MIDI library names are now alphabetically sorted under each header in the browser.
- Song structures are now sorted when scanned from disk (even with Apple File System).
Search for Instrument
- When opening the browser for stacking, the entire stack is now previewed upon previewing a drum.
- Added a menu button on selected rows that shows the same menu as right-clicking.
- The first column is a bit wider since some text got truncated and the text is now always centered.
- Added “Reset” to the Hi-Hat CC Response box.
- New error dialog if trying to load a drum and layer limits are set to zero which causes the drum not to load.
- Removed the “Reset to Original” from the mapping box for added instruments.
- Added a level indicator for the hi-hat CC edit box.
- ‘Add note automatically…’ added to MIDI articulation menu.
- Added ‘Reset Mapping’ to the MIDI Mapping box.
- Clicking on an unmapped articulation records the note of the next mapped articulation (in Tap2Find and on the track).
- Added ‘Copy to Stack’ in stack right-click menu.
- Added hi-hat and snare position indicator.
- Calibration mode for the e-drum hi-hat pedal.
- Added lots of new e-drum mappings.
- Improved handling of aftertouch.
- Restoring factory databases now has progress animation.
- The path to Toontrack MIDI and EZXs can now be changed if the current one is missing, invalid or empty.
- Added a text filter to the macro edit view.
- Macro knobs now have tooltips.
- The solo/mute system has been reworked and improved.
- Descriptive labels have been added in the effect windows. The loaded preset and side chain is now shown on the buttons.
- Side chain is now included when copying/moving effect boxes.
- A menu has been added next to “Edit Visibility,” with an icon that shows when a channel with audio is hidden.
- Removing sends, turning sends on/off and changing pre/post on sends now applies to all selected channels.
- Removing effects now applies to all selected channels.
- Added a bypass effects button on each mixer channel.
- Added a right-click menu on channels.
- Added option to mute channels pre/post send.
- Send boxes now show graphically if the send is pre effects, pre fader or post fader.
- Send and effect boxes have improved GUI with mouse-over hovering effect.
- Effect/send boxes are highlighted when they have an open window.
- Added multi-select operations to inserts and sends.
- The user will now be alerted if any of the hidden channels contains audio and has the option to unhide those channels.
- The Show Channels buttons will now contain information about how many channels that are hidden.
- Added a value on the slider in Level Envelope Releases property box.
- “Apply Multichannel Outputs” now preserves bus routing.
- While playing with Follow Host active, you can now stop the playhead by pressing Stop button in Tracker, or pause/continue by pressing the Play button.
- If Follow Host is active, the playhead will no longer stop when reaching the end of the last audio block.
- When you had changed a time signature, the next time you opened Find Tempo, all tempos got updated. Now all tempos preceding the time signature change are preserved and only the tempos after it will be updated to match the new bar times.
- Speeded up the interface repainting.
- Possibility to drag empty loops from Tracker Export to song track.
- Added articulation submenu to the wave track right-click menu.
- Timebars draw bar decimals when zoomed in now.
- New Target popup design.
- New layout of Instrument Alert Popup.
- Nudging of transients is now possible.
- Exported MIDI file division is now 9600 instead of 960.
- Show Grid option in Tracker menu.
- Showing “Add Track Drop Zone” button while dragging an audio file inside Tracker.
- Reduce Bleed tracks are set to all available tracks the first time you open the popup or move the knob.
- An alert is shown if resampling fails upon loading audio.
- Split tool now splits all selected tracks.
- The user gets an option to use default audio settings when saved settings cannot be loaded.
- If user chooses to continue without audio, audio settings are not saved upon closing.
- Updated the audio interface handling.
Bug Fixes (Major)
- It should no longer crash when you change scale from 70% to 250%.
- Trying to save a preset with no name caused a crash.
- Dragging from SD3 now works on MacOS X Snow Leopard.
- It no longer crashes on Mac when you try to drag MIDI from SD3 and a temporary file can’t be created.
- Version mismatch between plug-in and resources could cause a crash.
- Loading an instrument/plug-in preset from a DAW while the SD3 GUI was closed could cause a crash when showing the GUI again.
- Having corrupt graphics could cause a crash.
- Having a broken library loaded could cause a crash.
- Scanning for libraries in the Library Settings dialog could cause a crash.
- Rejected libraries should no longer cause a freeze.
- Fix for crash when saving MIDI learn preset.
- Superior no longer crashes when having an external mixer (or other external window) and using “save as” or “load” in the plug-in menu in Logic X.
- Superior no longer crashes upon changing output routing when running a sample rate other than 44100 Hz.
- A crash could occur when loading presets in some rare situations regarding side chain.
- Fixed crash when trying to remap drums that were replaced with user samples.
- Removing a user channel could cause a crash in certain situations.
- Undoing in the mixer could cause a crash in certain situations.
- Crash fix for clicking the macro properties button when having the macro editor view detached.
Search for Instrument
- It should no longer crash when you preview (click) an unmapped articulation.
- Trying to access sounds from unavailable sound library could cause a crash.
- Having time signature 1/32 or lower on the track could cause a crash.
- Pasting only ride could cause a crash.
- DnD to the song track from the browser could cause a crash in some situations.
Edit Play Style
- Changing amount on a percussion instrument could cause a crash.
- SD3 could crash in certain situations while adding/removing/syncing user MIDI.
- If rebuilding a broken database failed yet again, it would cause a crash.
- The “User MIDI” folder wasn’t automatically created by SD3 and only worked for users with EZdrummer 2 already installed.
- Pressing play in Tap2Find twice could cause a crash.
- Reading a MIDI file while already playing could cause a crash in some situations.
- Dropping an empty MIDI loop from Tracker to the song track could cause a crash.
- Trying to quit the Mac standalone with cmd-Q when a menu was open in the plug-in would lock up the application.
Bug Fixes (Minor)
- Keyboard shortcuts were active although settings page said otherwise.
- Fixed some bugs where the browser did not play in the tempo shown at the bottom of the screen.
- Could not start the song track while the Tap2Find result player was playing.
- Alert window for unavailable libraries is no longer closed directly if scaling is used.
- Double-clicking a project file could fail to open.
- There was a scenario were a error dialog and a progress dialog could be overlapping each other.
- Incoming notes that weren’t mapped were not shown in the MIDI Mapping Keys view.
- Aftertouch messages could get removed from MIDI blocks in some situations.
- Undoing certain things would cause all detached windows to be reattached.
- E-drum preset was active by default.
- Clicking the Drums and Mixer user preset menu arrow and then Esc, the preset was chosen anyway.
- The macro knob area is now properly hidden when running Tap2Find.
- Macro name is saved in project/presets even though it has no assigned parameters.
- Selecting the first preset in older SDXs and EZXs didn’t show the preset name correctly.
- E-drum transform is applied before MIDI learn on drums, making it work correctly.
- Changed name and behavior on the tracker parameters to reflect the song track parameters.
- Memory display is updated when undoing bleed on/off.
- DnD of files without extension is no longer supported.
- Resizing property boxes could end up hiding all boxes.
- “UK” is now shown as “UK” instead of “Uk” in the MIDI browser and in sound library names
- Modal popups could be shown outside the window if scale was changed.
- Removed the automatic mapping of notes 2-5.
- Velocity curve presets were not loaded properly.
- Extended level envelope releases (in mixer) now properly affects the curve slope in the “Envelope and Offset” property box. (Important when trying to achieve damping effects.)
- Preset menus are now properly sorted also on macOS High Sierra.
- Instrument velocity curve preset was always curved when loaded even if it was saved as linear.
- Hi-hat open/close buttons were at wrong position when Tap2Find was opened if the window had been resized.
- Width of text in Smoothing box is now set to fit the changing box size.
- Fixed a problem with menus – that selections and submenus were sometimes flickering, making it hard to select what you wanted.
- Dragging and replacing a drum with a user sample and then hitting undo did not work.
- The articulations list and the piano roll were not always updating when substituted notes were played.
- Clicking on a drum with a stack selected did not show any visual hits on the drum itself.
- Clicking on a drum or articulation now plays the hardest allowed hit through the velocity gate, not always 127.
- Notes in a MIDI block that weren’t mapped to an instrument were removed upon editing the block.
- Undoing didn’t properly restore the previous selection.
- Undoing and redoing several times in succession could cause performance issues.
- It was possible to insert notes before 0.
- Selecting blocks with rectangle now works the same in CC/velocity edit window as in grid edit window.
- Routing close and bleed mics from the same instrument to the same channel caused the bleed property box to behave badly.
- Having bleed properties shown/hidden wasn’t properly saved/restored upon loading a project.
- Selected instruments in mixer bleed are kept when switching tabs.
- Creating/removing sends was showing an empty undo message.
- An error dialog is now shown if the user tries to enable a send that would cause a feedback loop.
- Fixed a bug that cleared all side chains on all effects on a channel, except the one that should be affected, when undoing side chain, effect type or effect preset changes.
- Undoing effect type or side chain changes no longer closes the affected effect window.
- A bug was fixed that caused the last preset in the effect preset menu to appear to be selected after cancelling a “Save As.”
- Top bar and buttons are no longer shown in mixer if library couldn’t be loaded.
- Fixed bugs with undoing moving of effects, and changed so that undoing tries to keep effect windows open when it makes sense to do so.
- When right-clicking on empty insert, its hover effect disappears. Right click on effect box always shows effect menu.
- Right click on blue line between effects now works the same as clicking on empty effect slot.
- If multi-selecting in mixer, the menu items are enabled and disabled based on if any of the selected channels has that option enabled.
- Removing instruments, stacks, sends or channels also removes the macros that belonged to it (didn’t work in all scenarios before). Also saving undo in those cases.
- There were missing descriptions in MIDI learn and Macros.
Search for Instrument
- The last used filters are no longer remembered unless a drum was actually loaded.
- Auto-load didn’t work when selecting instruments with the mouse.
- The instrument images didn’t get rescaled properly when scaling the SD3 window.
- Dragging preset and replacing loops from the song creator did not set a proper file path on the blocks.
- Loading a project containing song creator loops didn’t always load correctly upon launch.
- The input loop didn’t get sorted in the correct list. A verse could end up as a chorus, for example.
- The drawing of bar numbers did not really work the same on different zoom levels.
- Creating new song track in minimized mode creates a minimized song track.
- The last pixels of the song track were not drawn.
- Add Empty Block from the song track menu always put the block at the first bar.
- Add Empty Block could overwrite existing blocks. It is now shortened to fit in the empty space if necessary and possible.
- Switching libraries or remapping drums could lead to empty song blocks.
- The song track would loop back to the loop start position if it encountered a tempo change after the loop end.
- Having scissor tool active and selecting Remove in the right-click menu caused the scissor graphics to get stuck on the track.
- There were some scenarios where “Automatically Loop Selection” didn’t work properly.
- The track length dialog (accessed through right click on timebar) had a few bugs that have been sorted out.
- It is now possible to set a custom loop area on the song track even though “Automatically Loop Selection” is selected.
- Playhead position could not be changed manually when Follow Host was active.
- Not enabling loop when dropping MIDI block on track and “Automatically Loop Selection” is on.
- The correct MIDI notes are highlighted on the song blocks when selecting instruments in Edit Play Style.
- Not recording CC notes when clicking in the MIDI Mapping box.
- The import MIDI dialog was shown when it wasn’t supposed to be.
- Pasting block on the song track did not update the selections in Edit Play Style.
- Pasting specific instruments from the same loop can no longer change the length of the block.
- Right click on song track timebar no longer moves the playhead.
- On Mac, if you have multiple song blocks selected and ctrl-click one of them, the others are no longer deselected.
Edit Play Style
- Copying MIDI from an instrument to another discards CC values not used on the receiving instrument.
- Sync File Changes restored all browser columns to their default state.
- Tap2Find didn’t work properly on future hit MIDI if no future hit pad was present.
- “Show in Browser” (now “Select Containing Folder”) didn’t update the GUI properly after resetting search filters, possibly leaving folders greyed out.
- Saving project while macro controls and song creator are open with the SD3 window in minimum size would make the filter area of grooves browser go missing.
- “Sync File Changes” on user MIDI folders now properly retains favorite state in those folders.
- Online MIDI library names were formatted incorrectly in the database, leading to some packs potentially not being properly recognized as “installed locally” when searching for only online MIDI.
- The progress dialogs didn’t align properly when resizing window.
- Running multiple instances of SD3 didn’t always trigger the “Waiting for another instance of Superior 3 to finish…” message when doing stuff with the databases that stops read access.
- User libraries didn’t work properly on Mac with special characters in the path/filename.
- Saving files to User MIDI now writes the correct time signature.
- Loading a project didn’t properly reset the back/forward buttons.
- Dragging a file from a user MIDI folder to another caused a memory leak.
- Using back and then forward while having a Tap2Find loop would cause the loop to become empty.
- Sidestick can again be searched for in Tap2Find and double kick and remapped snares are now handled.
- Tap2Find did not always play in the right time signature.
- Tap2Find showed the wrong tempo when in Follow Host mode.
- During playback, there is no longer any auto-scrolling to playhead while the scrollbar handle is being dragged.
- Exporting with “fixed tempo from song track” option is no longer dependent on where the playhead is located but takes the first tempo in the song track.
- The transients were not rendered properly in the scrollbar.
- Duplicating a track could yield silent transients.
- Toggling loop on/off didn’t work properly.
- Hovering a deselected marker could make it marked again.
- Right-clicking in empty area no longer deselects multiple selected markers.
- The blend slider tooltip was not updated when a project was loaded.
- Could not mark low velocity transients in wave track.
- Draggable marking rectangle can not go outside of the tracks to the left anymore.
- Sometimes the wave track graphics were not updated when dragging the select rectangle back and forth over tracks.
- In Tracker export mode, sometimes it was hard to deselect a track by clicking due to graphics that weren’t updated.
- Disabled key shortcuts to change Tools while in Tracker Export and Find Tempo mode.
- Setting the hi-hat openness sliders to the top or bottom in e-drum settings ignores those levels.
- Calibration of hi-hat pedal did only work correctly the first time.
- Opening the hi-hat openness preset menu in e-drum settings and then clicking outside it applied the default preset anyway.
- Some MIDI device names could not be displayed correctly.
- Closing SD3 without having made any changes should no longer ask if the user wants to save.
Superior Drummer 3.0.3 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 3.0.3 is required for the support of Superior Drummer 3 products released from this point forward (Q4 2017).
- MIDI In/Out indicators have been added.
- A mono setting for Cubase has been added (32 mono out instead of 16 stereo).
- You can now choose how many CPU cores Superior Drummer 3 should use (in Settings > Performance).
- A setting has been added for opening Macro Controls every time a preset with active controls is loaded.
- The “Add Instrument” menu now also contains user instruments.
- The “Show” menu now also contains “MIDI Mapping Keys.”
- MIDI Mapping Keys visibility is now saved in Properties View presets.
- Dropping an external MIDI file on the track now gives the option to apply the e-drum transform to it.
- Recording aftertouch is now supported.
- CC-controlled hi-hats and snares can now activate stacks of individual articulations.
- The number of macro controls shown at the same time can now be more than 5, depending on the window width.
- The mouse pointer now shows a plus sign during copy-drag in the grid editor and the mixer.
- Tracker: 1/1, 1/2 and 1/2 Triplet have been added to the Select menu.
- The grid editor now shows flashing dots when notes are played.
- A “not loaded” indicator has been added to MIDI Mapping Keys.
- While dragging, you can now open the Song Creator or switch to the Grooves tab by hovering over the button or the tab, respectively.
- The active library preset is now shown with an asterisk if changes have been made.
- The active e-drum preset (in Settings) is now shown with an asterisk if changes have been made.
- The mixer can now autoscroll when effects or sends are dragged.
- The Grooves browser can now autoscroll when files are dragged to User MIDI.
- A new e-drum hi-hat pedal preset which closes at 90 has been added
- good for some Roland modules.
- The velocity curve editor now shows incoming MIDI notes and how they are affected.
- E-drum settings are now saved in projects, but menu options have been added to load the default settings (from the default project, or global e-drum settings in 3.0.2 or earlier).
- Moving the playhead in the DAW without playing now moves the song track playhead if Follow Host is on.
- MIDI file division on external drags is now 9600 instead of 960.
- An “all bleed” bounce through the mixer no longer adds bleed to silent room mics.
- Tooltip improvements.
- Many undo events have got better names.
- Tight and closed settings in e-drums are now better kept when you switch between different number of opennesses (by loading a different hi-hat).
- Whenever another instance locks us out from accessing the database, a dialog that says “Waiting for another instance of Superior 3 to finish” is shown.
- Dragging out a single song block from the song track now gives it the name of the block type.
- Loading a part of a preset no longer changes which preset is shown as the currently loaded one.
- Track zoom level is now saved in projects.
- “Search with Tags” can now be used on MIDI files that don’t exist in the database.
- MIDI files dragged from the Grooves browser out from Superior now contain the browser path of the file
- can be seen in DAWs.
- Articulations that contain no sound on their own are now greyed out and disabled in the drum articulations list.
- An outline is now shown for the send box that is being dragged.
- Multiple selected user-added mixer channels can now be removed at once with “Remove Channels” in their menus.
- In percussion pads, remapping of other articulations than the first is no longer allowed.
- “Superior Drummer 3 Percussion” and “Superior Drummer 3 Electronic Sounds” can no longer be added in Settings > Libraries.
- Tracker: When adding hits, snap to transients snaps to all transients over the default velocity threshold instead of using the current value.
- Tracker: Preview of transient now starts earlier and captures more of the note.
- Tracker: Pressing the stop button in the Tracker now moves the playhead in the same way as in the song track in the other tabs.
- A custom loop area can now be set even when ‘Always loop selected’ is on.
- When recording notes (on the song track or Tap2Find) and clicking an unmapped articulation, the next MIDI-mapped articulation will be recorded instead.
- Resetting a peak level in the mixer no longer selects the channel.
- Favorites in Grooves were not properly remembered when the database was rebuilt.
- Starting multiple instances at the same time when the instrument database was being created for the first time caused a crash.
- MIDI playback is now sample accurate even when tempo changes occur within buffers.
- Loading a project with more visible filter columns than the current project could cause a crash.
- Various tempo editor fixes.
- Browser history fixes.
- Running multiple instances of Superior Drummer 3 could cause one or more of them to incorrectly show “database loading” in Grooves.
- In web shop MIDI, searching for only online libraries was broken.
- The quantize knob was not updated when a new row was selected in the grid editor.
- The track length dialog could end up outside the main window.
- A fix for song track copy drag on Mac (when dragging out from the window and back in).
- Having loaded a broken library and pressing a keyboard shortcut caused a crash.
- Fix for a crash when changing between EZX presets in Pro Tools.
- Exported/dragged MIDI files did not always contain correct tempo(s) and time signature(s).
- Pressing Cmd/Ctrl+C when no block was selected on the song track could cause a crash.
- Tracker: The Split Region tool ignored the Snap settings.
- It no longer crashes in Search for Instruments if instrument graphics cannot be loaded.
- Selecting a library that needs to be updated (yielding no graphics) no longer brings back the graphics if scaling is changed.
- External windows in full screen should no longer overlap the taskbar in Windows.
- “Show in Browser” on files not in the database but existing on disk now shows the files in Finder/Explorer.
- Having a user preset selected with the same name as a factory preset no longer selects the factory preset when reloading the project.
- Tracker now gets the hi-hat note from the current mapping instead of hardcoded.
- Total memory (displayed) no longer resets at 16 GB.
- Channel effect presets are now saved as mixer undo.
- Tracker: Fixed a graphical update issue when the ruler format was changed.
- Fixed a graphical issue when undoing turning articulations on/off.
- Some potential crashes when scanning corrupt sound libraries have been fixed.
- MIDI Learn now ignores jitter from MIDI controls.
- CC-controlled articulations can now be MIDI learned.
- Aftertouch messages should no longer in some cases end up reaching the wrong drum.
- Replacing a drum where all articulations are unloaded no longer shows a “library is broken” dialog.
- Tracker: Shift click on the track but outside any region could cause a crash.
- When dragging a new loop to the track and importing tempo, the tempos before and after are better kept.
- When playing the song track in Fruity Loops, notes should no longer sometimes be missed.
- The tempo is now updated correctly when changing, adding and removing song tracks.
- If you cleared the loop inside Tap2Find and then cancelled, the loop could not be played outside of Tap2Find.
- The position of song structure preset playback can now be set.
- Tracker: Real time speed change is processed faster now.
- Tracker: Looping should no longer cause triggered sound and original sound to become unsynched.
- Mixer send box no longer gets stuck in mouse-over state if nothing is selected from the send menu.
- Fixes for Tap2Find loop when changing mapping
- lost quantization and could get wrong length.
- Autoscroll did not work in the MIDI Mapping Keys view when dragging keys.
- Superior Drummer 3 no longer scans for VSTs at startup and no longer crashes on Mac if you have UAD plug-ins installed.
- Various text search field fixes.
- Clicking on a hi-hat slider handle no longer moves it if the click is not exactly in the center.
- Adding an offset in Tracker could retrigger detriggered transients.
- Macro knobs with box properties are now saved and restored properly and continue to work after targeted drums have been changed.
- Bounce now honors automation of mixer and its effects through MIDI CC-control, when present in the song track. (But parameter automation by the host cannot be recorded by the song track so that doesn’t work when bouncing.)
- Song track play start now resets sampler state for the benefit of cache mode.
- Using a 1/32 time signature should no longer cause the grid editor to crash.
- Tap2Find can search for sidestick again. Remapped drums and double kick MIDI also works.
- Quantize in the grid editor now works again when you deselect the affected notes.
- Fix for opening libraries from Mac-formatted disks using MacDrive software.
- Looping in the browser could result in the first note flamming/phasing.
- Fix for bleed edit in User Mics
- Fix for mixer meters when using very large buffer sizes (>2400).
- Tracker: Failed attempts to allocate memory for loading large audio files should no longer cause a crash.
- Tracker: Adding user transients should no longer make Snap to transients not work.
- Tracker: Adding an event/transient could crash if a Tap2Find or Song Creator search was going on at the same time.
- Possible crash fix when filtering incoming MIDI when running standalone.
- Dragging a send over an output channel should no longer cause a crash.
- Having old resource files (from a previous installation) could cause a crash at startup.
- Crash fix for corrupt drum graphics.
- Crash fix for switching between certain presets.
- Removing a user mic from the mixer that is used as a side chain would cause a crash.
- Having an e-drum transform active should no longer mess up the ‘Learn’ function in the MIDI Mapping box.
- Tracker scrollbar graphics fix.
- Fixes to transport controls when changing between Tracker and any other tab.
- Choosing Reset in “Envelope and Offset” did not reset the offset.
- Clicking Recall Solo/Mute in the mixer did not generate an undo event.
- Recording parameters in a DAW in “touch” and “latch” modes should now work better.
- Version 3.0.3 is required for use of the Rock Foundry SDX.
- Version 3.0.2
- Version 3.0.1
- MIDI files can now be dragged to the result area in Grooves, provided that a single path is selected within the User MIDI folder.
- More tooltips have been added in the grid editor.
- Selecting certain sounds from certain libraries (in Search for Instrument, for example) could cause a crash.
- The Tap2Find player could crash when you changed presets that remapped the drums.
- It is no longer possible to MIDI learn the pitch wheel.
- Loading or saving Velocity Curve presets on a stack could cause a crash.
- Choosing “Select Parts” in the library preset menu could end up selecting the wrong preset.
- If ‘undo’ changed number of instruments and Edit Play Style was open, it could crash.
- A crash and a bug in text search has been fixed.
- A bug with copying notes in the grid editor has been fixed.
- Changing presets while having Song Creator open with a source loop could cause a graphical glitch.
- Right click in the time signature editor no longer deselects all other regions.
- A change of sample rate on the sound card should now get correctly handled by the standalone.
- The favorite setting (star on/off) in Grooves was not loaded properly from projects.
- Browser settings in Search for Instrument (visible columns, etc.) were not saved in projects.
- Bounce would never use processed pitch.
- Undoing stack manipulation with inactive stacks could cause a crash.
- Adding new mics or opening Search for Instrument while sounds were being loaded could cause a crash.
- It was not possible to add a groove from the song track to User MIDI if it was an altered version of something already found in the browser.
- The graphics of Electronic and Southern Soul EZXs have been adjusted.
- Dragging a custom song block (with no file path) to Song Creator made the “Source File” unplayable and undraggable and it also incorrectly had “Show in Browser” enabled.
Fixed in Tracker:
- The playhead position in the scrollbar was not updated while playing.
- Buffer and sample rate changes were not handled correctly.
- Files with the extension “.midi” can now be imported as tempo maps.
- The tempo map is now cleared when New Project is selected.
- The sample position did not get synced when a track was added while playing.
- Find Tempo did not always work with multiple time signature changes.
- Some precision could be lost on found hits when loading a project.
- When looping, the triggered MIDI and the original sound could become unsynced.
- Selecting New Project while having the Tracker tab open could cause a crash.
Superior Drummer 3 sound library update 1.1.3 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. This update is recommended for all users and fixes the issues below.
- E-drum hi-hat performance has been improved by loading Open Tip 1-4 in the default, Clean and George Massenburg presets.
- Hi-hat Open 5 is no longer loaded by default which makes the transmuting smoother.
- ‘Mid Center’ snare articulation is now called ‘Off Center’.
- Two new presets, ‘Levee’ and ‘Man of Sand’, featured in Toontrack tutorials are now included.
- Some bad samples have been removed.
- Cymbal muting is now working in all presets.
- Instruments are now correctly routed to the ambience channels in the ‘Big Swish’ preset.
- Some descriptions in the instrument database (search results) have been corrected.
Superior Drummer 3 sound library update 1.1.2 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. This update is recommended for all users and fixes the issues below.
- Sound fixes
- Minor MIDI mapping changes for improved e-drum experience
Superior Drummer 3 sound library update 1.1.1 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. This update is recommended for all users and fixes the issues below.
- bleed into tom microphone channels was missing for all Ayotte kick drums recorded with snare wires off
Superior Drummer 3 sound library update 1.1.0 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the ‘My Products’ area in your Toontrack account. This update is recommended for all users and fixes the issues below.
Sound fixes for:
- Slingerland Radio King Snare
- Gretsch Solid Aluminium Snare
- Gigster Slim Snare
- 8×10″ Ludwig Classic 3-ply Rack Tom
- 12×15″ Ludwig Classic 3-ply Floor Tom
- 5.5×6″ Ludwig Concert 3-ply Rack Tom
- 14×16″ Ludwig Concert 3-ply Floor Tom
- 16×18″ Yamaha Beech Custom Floor Tom
- Bosphorus / Zildjian K Hi-Hat
- Zildjian K Constantinople Hi-Hat
- Masterwork Custom Series Hi-Hat
- 16″ Masterwork Jazz Master Crash
- 16″ Istanbul Agop Traditional Dark Crash
- 22″ Istanbul 30th Anniversary Ride
- 22″ Zildjian K Constantinople Medium Ride
- 15″ Zildjan A / 14″ Paiste Stack
- unintended curve affecting Kick Hit articulation
- additional minor tweaks of a couple of presets
- improved hi-hat behavior in Edit Play Style
- additional cosmetic tweaks