When and how did you discover your passion for music?
– Music has always been embedded in my DNA. Just about all of my family are all musicians or singers.
How would you describe your style and do you normally draw inspiration from across genres?
– I tend to draw towards melody. I am very melodic and there aren’t many genres that I couldn’t draw inspiration from because melody is everywhere.
What’s the best thing about working as a producer?
– I love the process, from making the track to collaborating with an artist/songwriter getting the right song to it, to mixing, etc. It is very much like a puzzle at times and you never know how the product will come out until it’s done.
Is there a typical formula or scenario that keeps repeating itself when you produce? Walk us through how you usually go about making tracks.
– Yeah, well my process usually starts from a melody idea I may have, or if i don’t have one, I’ll just kind of freestyle on the keyboard (usually a piano patch) until something comes to me. But there are also times i’m inspired by a drum groove, sound effect, or type loop or soundbyte I may hear really. So it changes, depending on the day.
Name a few career highlights so far.
– So far I’ve been blessed to produce records for Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Wale, Flo Rida, Tamar Braxton and many others.
How does Toontrack tie into your production process and what Toontrack products do you regularly use?
– Well, years ago I started only using Toontrack on any live drum programming I wanting to do, but now Toontrack has grown and expanded to so many different products, I’m now using it for it for live drums, keys, mixing tools, etc. I’m a huge fan of them all.
WATCH “PANDEMONIUM” BY RICK ROSS.
Feat. Meek Mill and Wale, produced by Lee Major.